Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26

Author Topic: Evolution: Not a debate, a forum game -3- (For Reals)  (Read 55793 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Evolution: Not a debate, a forum game -3- (For Reals)
« on: September 08, 2008, 10:02:48 pm »

Evolution: Not a debate, a forum game 3

The First Post

This here's a forum game, namely a forum game ripoff of what Spore might have been (though technically we started two months ago).  In Evolution: The Game you, the player, have two options.  You can take the helm of a burgeoning species on a gene warping planet, guide their path through the challenges and perils of natural selection and civilization in a world gone mad.  Or you can lend your imagination and likeness to the Gods, for they are real and powerful, and grant your favor or meet out vengeance.  Meet, trade, battle, pray, build, and forge a world.

Okay, pitch aside, this is a placeholder post for the moment.  Please feel free to comment, suggest, and most of all, join in.  I'm not making a player-cap right now, since we whittled down from seven players to four in five turns without even getting to Gods.  The most important rule will be that I'll handle the serious number crunching and standardization – the game should be driven by narrative, strategy, and imagination, and as GM I'll keep track of the behind the scenes stuff and make sure everything works together.  Ultimately, the rules don't matter nearly as much as keeping things moving and interesting.  At any rate, Rules:

The Species:
The heart of the matter – every species is a combination of Breeding Rate, Biological Traits, Civil Traits, and Special Traits.  Every trait has a Level between 1 and 50.  Increasing any individual ability or trait costs Evolution Points (EP) – from 1 to 10 costs one EP per level, from 11 to 20 costs two EP per level, three EP for 21-30, four for 31-40, and five for 41-50.  There is no Master List of Traits or anything like that – make up what you'd like to see, and I'll find a way to make it fit.  Bear in mind the 1-50 rating – spending one point at a time won't net you much capability.
  • A general description of the Species is a great place to start.  What they look like, act like, living conditions, any general points.  This will be expanded over time as the species changes and grows.
  • Breeding Ability is what it says.  A species' population growth is determined by (besides outside factors) a Litter Size, Breeding Age, and Death Age.  By default, a species will have a Litter of 1, Breeds at 10, and Dies around 20.  Increasing Breeding Rate costs EP, but to account for the myriad breeding schemes nature can create, just describe a biology and general breeding ability and I'll come up with the numbers and cost.  Differences between EP costs for breeding and the standard start total will be refunded on the species' next turn after joining, just to keep everything simple.  If you're using the old threads for reference, ignore the 'Dividing Factor' on old species.
  • Biological Traits make up the Species' actual physique and abilities.  By default, a species is a formless blob of no determinate size (consider a creature's size subsumed under other traits) capable of moving, perceiving it's environment, self-sustained survival, and little else.  Build thyself, and nothing is too far beyond reason.
  • Civil Traits include anything that isn't paranormal or biological, especially technologies – everything from construction to adaptations to sciences to governance to any conceivable tool or concept, including any kind of civilized organization beyond basic pack-like structures.  Pick up a Civilization game if you need ideas.  Progression must have a logic – it need not be Earthlike or even realistic, but always have a justification.  Right now, every extant species is in the Stone Age, but don't feel pressured to become civilized at all – monster species are great.  Also, don't worry about losing points in narrow paths like Weaving or Fire Making, spend them - later I'll introduce an Ages system to recombine and refund points spent on 'primitive' technologies.
  • Special Traits are anything else, especially paranormal stuff – Psychic powers already being quite popular.  Religious powers would fall under this as well – not the organization of a religion, but the actual ability to contact and influence the Gods.  Again, don't feel obligated, mundanes are always welcome.

The Fickle Dice:
Every turn, I'll roll d100's to determine the effects of the various turn events and attempts by the player at doing things.  Species Abilities add to this roll as appropriate, as does Godly favor (disfavor does what you'd expect).  EP points are awarded (or subtracted) based on the results, along with population growth, resources, new events, and so forth.  For reference, each turn is about a hundred years long - development and conflict takes place on a generational timescale.

The Gods (Attn apathetic players):
Gods don't have to do much besides exists, but Godly players should feel free to post whatever suggestions and guidance you want.  Rules are pretty freeform – Describe the God's manifestations, story, and desires.  Pick one Major Sphere and two Minor Spheres (DF's spheres are a good inspiration) – nothing too broad like 'Death' or 'Creation', but 'Pestilence' or 'Birth' would be acceptable.  A God can perform an Action once per turn, expending Power Points (PP) to kick their chosen ones along the path they set.  Gods are empowered by worship – every 10000 active worshipers generate one PP per turn.  There will be more rules here as they're hashed out.

The Planet (Name Wanted!):
All action takes place on one planet, dominated by a giant continent in a giant ocean (referred to as Pangaea for simplicity).  All biomes exist in some form on Pangaea (arctic is rare), and is permeated by deep and powerful energies that supercharge the evolutionary process.  Players can invent whatever incidental wildlife you like (no powergaming), and strategically useful lifeforms will be introduced as events.  As for Pangaea's recent history, after the great floods subsided, a living storm of fungi fell upon the world, and while its now receding, the fungus is probably permanent now.  Mostly a food source if somewhat hostile, certain forms can have weird effects on creatures (spoiler alert).  More recently, the Sun turned green, pushing evolution past overdrive, and putting Pangaea in a generational cold snap.  Things are clearing up all around, many new species have emerged, and many old ones find themselves altered by the long dim years.

Players:
New players wishing to make a species should start with 70 Evolution Points, to spend as you see fit.  Existing players (Sean Mirrsen, Duke 2.0, Nilocy, NonAnonymous, a1s, and me, and Dwarmin if you feel like restarting) will have their species altered to a total of 90 EP (in respect).  Gods are welcome to post at will.  Everyone who had a God or Species in the last thread should repost here with adjustments as you see fit.  For the moment, consider this Turn 0 – nothing is happening yet, no events are in progress, no species are yet chosen or favored.  We'll start soon I promise.

Old threads for reference:
First thread under Fualkner
Second thread under Dwarmin
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 12:23:30 am by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution: Not a debate, a forum game -3- (For Reals, Need Players)
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 10:04:15 pm »

Map of Pangaea
http://webzoom.freewebs.com/iituem/evolution/pangaeaturn002.gif
Map Update to Come

MAP FEATURES
D-29 The Shriekers, lost offshoot of the Shrike
N-26 The Myarri, regressed descendants of the Mii'Ari
M-23 Epicenter of The Fungus
O-19 Active magma vents
V-6 Massive self-sustaining cyclone
W-27 Huge glowing meteor
Fungus zones, while hostile to native life, are livable.

The Species, w/ links to original posts-

Aqizzar's Kadesh - EP Total:134 Available:10
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

a1s' Plantwe - EP Total:119 Available:12

Duke 2.0's Shrike - EP Total:132 Available:14

NonAnonymous' Nahuantl - EP Total:147 Available:10

Nilocy's Jhiar'd – EP Total:155 Available:11

Draigh's Lanlar - EP Total:111 Available:11

Iituem's Yrb - EP Total:116 Available:11

penguinofhonor's Chibor - EP Total:109 Available:11

Tuv's Umgran - EP Total:102 Available:10

Shikogan's Ahkarii - EP Total:121 Available:10

The Gods, w/ links to original posts-

Lukut Cush Lhac, by Gantolandon - Power Points: 6

Nevon, by Asheron – Power Points: 41

Euchre, by EuchreJack – Power Points: 2

Omega Alpha, by omagaalpha – Power Points: 1

Andrea, by andrea – Power Points: 1
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 07:03:18 pm by Aqizzar »
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Fualkner

• Bay Watcher
  • My glasses split light.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 10:29:46 pm »

It's nice to see my game live on. However, I'll be unable to join this round. Too busy with school.

Enjoy everyone!

Shikogan

• Bay Watcher
  • Comically insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 01:15:24 am »

I hereby reserve a spot in this game. my creature will be up soon as i didnt get one in the last game, all i got was a lousy good for nothing god...anywho creature coming soon.

EDIT: now posting my creature.
EDIT2: Fixed up creature according to what Aqizzar said and got E.P right this time.
I also claim the hexes of P-8, R-8 and M-5, M-7
(just tell me if i did anything wrong)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 04:08:11 am by Shikogan »
Arguing on the internet is like running in the special Olympics; even if you win you're still retarded.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 05:22:46 am »

Just copy my old race over if you don't mind? And good to see it continue :D

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 07:22:56 am »

speakingh of rolling over races, will this be a brand new world?
also, can one take roles of both a god and a species?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 09:15:18 am »

speakingh of rolling over races, will this be a brand new world?
also, can one take roles of both a god and a species?

Hmm, i'd say that was giving one person too much powa.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 10:59:05 am »

hmm, I might join. Not sure wether to be a god or a species though.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 11:16:02 am »

I'd like to be the god of sin(main), lust and cheese if thats okay.
Just use my forum name.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 11:18:19 am »

Joining as mostly the same creature, except already adapted to land. Making the transition was just taking too long.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 06:24:33 am by Duke 2.0 »
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 11:56:34 am »

Joining as the same god I played before.

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
  • Look in to my eyesssss.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ihavenoideathissiteexcisted.com
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 12:19:57 pm »

Nevon returns to unite the lands under graceful and ingenious leadership.
Or else!

Quote from: Toady One
Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Quote from: Yahtzee
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 01:29:58 pm »

Hmm, I'm beginning to think this game will get a little complicated in the near future... extremely complicated.

Draigh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2008, 02:53:23 pm »

I like to remain here with my Lanlar. Had 70 points spent as I was to join the last turn, right before the gamemaster-change. Should I also change it to 90 points or am I still counted as a new player?

Edit:
Reposting of my race

« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 08:39:59 am by Draigh »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2008, 03:16:02 pm »

Yeah, just remake yourself on 70 points.  No offense or anything.  It'll make my job easier too.

I'll be delayed a bit because on top of learning conversational Spanish, my computer has been completely borked by adware.  On that note, if anybody knows a good way to get rid of already-in-progress viruses I'd love to hear it - PM me, or I might just start a thread for it.

I'm going to say no to players being more than one thing.  Species or God, pick one.  The world will be the same, though I might change the map up later.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26