Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fire  (Read 1639 times)

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fire
« on: September 09, 2008, 06:52:55 am »

Well this is news to me at least. I had a map with a magma vent in the newest version, and while my excess dwarves worked on my project to cap the thing off to keep pesky magma men & fire imps from escaping and causing havoc, a fire imp decided it wanted to cause trouble. It hopped out and let loose several fireballs at my war dogs I had stationed nearby before being torn apart. Next thing I know, half the map is on fire and my remaining three dwarves are heading for the hills.

When did grass become so highly flamable? I remember in earlier versions a fireball would burn the hell out of anything near its impact, but setting my valley on fire? Which version did this start in and why are fire imps allowed to be so huge a threat now?

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fire
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 07:36:56 am »

I can confirm that it spreads like wildfire the plague. Everything the other side of the river is dead!
I guess is try to mine your dwarfs to safety. The fire doesn't double back and travels relatively quickly. And the trees aren't effected, so your wood supply wont suffer.
ALSO, don't cap your magma pipe, wall it off. It's got the same effect but at much less work.

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 08:49:15 am »

I can confirm that it spreads like wildfire the plague. Everything the other side of the river is dead!
I guess is try to mine your dwarfs to safety. The fire doesn't double back and travels relatively quickly. And the trees aren't effected, so your wood supply wont suffer.
ALSO, don't cap your magma pipe, wall it off. It's got the same effect but at much less work.

I like to cap the pipes just for coolness. Interesting to try to draw things with different colored stone.

Is the fire speed likely to be changed? This is a major problem IMO, when one fire imp can destroy your entire expidition like that. I don't even want to think about what a fire man or dragon would do.

Never tried it before, but you may be able to cage one of the little buggers outside your door to set the world on fire anytime invaders come... It would be a ton easier than flooding the map with lava if they could fireball things from within cages.

Jintor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 09:18:06 am »

From actual experience, I can say that Fire Men do what the Imps do, but are much deadlier; and Dragonbreath does not actually ignite grass, so they don't cause forest fires.

WCG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That's interesting...
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 10:36:27 am »

This is slightly off-topic, but can fire imps and magma men be caught in cage traps? (My cages are wood, but I don't imagine that's a problem, since they caught a dragon OK.) I've got a few of these creatures in my magma pipe, but since it's sealed off, they haven't been a problem.

But they'd be nice to put in my zoo, so I could dig an opening and put a cage trap along the only way out. Any problems with this?

Bill

uioped1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 01:22:44 pm »

I can confirm that it is possible to catch fire imps in wooden traps.  I'm still new to the game though, so who knows if they can burn their way out later or what.  Mine escaped when a dwarf was trying to transfer it so I could try and have it trained.  The silly thing never had a chance to fireball; it ran straight into my butchershop, where the butcher made short work of it.  I don't think they can fireball from inside their cages though.

Unfortunately fire imps yeild no usable meat or bones when buchered.  Is there anything you can do with body parts?

John Johnston

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrescuable aspie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 01:28:12 pm »

Not really.  Some body parts will rot to leave bones (when a creature has been violently disintegrated by a giant clear glass axe blade, say, and had a leg lopped off), but the bits that are left over from butchering are totally useless as far as I know.
Oh
God it's been a lovely day
Everything's been going my way
I had so much fun today
And I'm on fire

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 02:29:42 pm »

Is the ash left behind usable? Might consider burning the meadows on purpose

You can catch colossi in glass cages, don't worry about it

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 02:43:12 pm »

I don't understand why people think the way grass fires have been implemented is a bug/problem. The fact that people are complaining about it spreading quickly leads me to believe that they've probably never actually seen a grass fire..

WCG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That's interesting...
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 08:58:19 pm »

I can confirm that it is possible to catch fire imps in wooden traps.  I'm still new to the game though, so who knows if they can burn their way out later or what.  Mine escaped when a dwarf was trying to transfer it so I could try and have it trained.

Thanks for the info. I'm new to the game, too, and I didn't realize that might happen. Luckily, I was able to tame the dragon we caught without releasing it.

For that matter, I don't think it ever left the cage in which we caught it. Were you deliberately changing cages, or is there just a chance of an escape whenever creatures are tamed?

I don't understand why people think the way grass fires have been implemented is a bug/problem. The fact that people are complaining about it spreading quickly leads me to believe that they've probably never actually seen a grass fire..

Good point. They may be thinking of backyard grass. Certainly the tall grasses I've seen on fire are quite terrifying. No dwarf would be able to outrun them.

Admittedly, they go more quickly downwind - and uphill - but they're unpredictable.

Bill

Viprince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008, 01:47:48 am »

Well I have to say I am quite happy of the destructive power of Fire imps. Yes a little creature like that burning everything to hell is slightly overboard but hey its a bloody magma pipe and you don't get eruptions or activity I say you better be happy you can trap these beasties in cages because I think an eruption would be much harder to control and so more dramatic.

Now I have no idea if eruptions and magma activity is even in the plans for DF but if imps can bring some sort of firey death from magma pipes let them show off the power of the magma!

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2008, 06:05:45 pm »

No usable bones?  I've had plenty of them.
Their fat boils instantly on butcher, so watch out for that, but otherwise, I've not seen any ill effects from my killed imps.  Of course, an object made completely out of their bones might cause problems, but decorating stuff with them as I do doesn't.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2008, 05:16:08 am »

Make sure to use an outdoors butcher shop for imps. Then the fat'll just waft away and won't hurt anyone.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2008, 11:33:00 am »

I've been butchering imps inside and I've had no trouble. Have I been lucky? I don't really understand the mechanics of boiling gasses, since I see them so rarely.

uioped1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2008, 05:21:37 pm »

Thanks for the info. I'm new to the game, too, and I didn't realize that might happen. Luckily, I was able to tame the dragon we caught without releasing it.

I don't understand how to train things, so I was trying to transfer it.  Not such a good idea.  The butcher didn't recognize the resulting corpse as being butcherable, and it didn't leave any bones behind after it rotted.  I'll try again if I catch another.
Pages: [1] 2