Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: We need pigs.  (Read 4803 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: We need pigs.
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2008, 05:41:28 pm »

Actually, the glycerin probably wasn't removed (it appears that it usually isn't with handmade soaps).

One interesting thing to note: Hard soaps are generally made using sodium hydroxide (lye). In DF, potassium hydroxide (potash lye/caustic potash/whatever else you want to call it) is used, made from wood ashes (as in earlier history), but this produces a much softer (or liquid) soap. This makes it more amusing that it can be used as an actual building material with which to construct skyscrapers.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

John D. Ward

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2008, 05:49:04 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycerol

Wikipedia article on Glycerol.

http://www.theglycerolchallenge.org/

The Glycerol Challenge.

Note that Wikipedia lists several uses in food production (under Applications) and Compost and Conversion to Ethanol (under Potential Uses).

I can see Glycerol being a very useful product in a Dwarf fortress.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2008, 05:55:36 pm »

Apparently it is useful for speeding up the composting process, which will be good when/if DF gets more complicated farming, but I doubt converting it to ethanol is very easy, especially in DF terms. It would be a really roundabout way of producing alcohol, that's for sure.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Royal Surveyor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2008, 08:20:43 pm »

If by roundabout for making alcohol, you mean dwarves are doing enzyme design and directed evolution.  (The link on the bottom of the wiki page, ref 9, is a paper exploring the potential; it's already being done for 5-carbon sugars like arabinose, but it's a long, slow process--dwarfy but not 1400s dwarfy)

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2008, 03:11:51 pm »

This discussion has suddenly become very complicated, the boring kind too.

How about we dumb it down, and have pig meats have effects for when the cooking core is implemented.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

DgnBiscuit

• Bay Watcher
  • Has been nauseated by the sun lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2008, 03:32:10 pm »

In the old days, lard was very useful for everything. Thus pigs had a a LOT of fat. Like, can barely walk amount of fat. Like resembling a hippo kind of fat. Nowadays we have other chemicals in place of lard, so pigs are raised to have more meat and less fat.

Fun fact: Pig farmers got substantially larger incomes during WWII because of the lard used in napalm.

So I could use DF pigs giving off large amounts of fat per meat.

I demand that pig fat stored in barrels be used for defense purposes!

Imagine if you will goblins descending a spiral staircase with a hollow, engraved fortification center... a dwarf pulls a lever in deep in the bowels of the fortress... somewhere high above a bridge retracts and a faintly bacon smelling barrel begins plummeting down the center staircase toward a magma channel below. Would the goblins be aware of the impending fiery doom?

Note that the above scenario, with a few modifications (easier to bring magma to barrels than barrels to magma, and usually you need more than one barrel), seems to work for killing dragons using booze.

-D.B.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 03:36:33 pm by DgnBiscuit »
Urist McKitten has been ecstatic lately. Urist McKitten can has cheezburger lately.
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.

Inquisitor Saturn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2008, 04:00:57 pm »

I can imagine someone modding in napalm, made by mixing pig fat and dwarven spirits.
Presumably every member of a fortress' flamethrower brigade would have to carry around screw pumps.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2008, 04:11:09 pm »

This discussion has suddenly become very complicated, the boring kind too.

At least it didn't turn into one other glycerin-related thread, where people actually thought glycerol could get you drunk.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2008, 04:23:21 pm »

You want fat related fires? Butcher a fire imp. The damn thing's fat burst into flames and kept burning for at least 2 seasons. I had to flood the room via screw pump to put the bugger out  :P
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Royal Surveyor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2008, 08:23:11 pm »

Well, back to pigs.  Big pigs, when real hungry, are a threat: they will eat most anything.  If animal hunger is eventually included, imagine releasing your horde of starved pigs on the goblins.  Thousands of pounds of bacon on the hoof charging in, snarling, and sawing their teeth through bone, leather, and gobbo flesh.

Forget alcohol/glycerol napalm.  The pigs will clean up the goblins for you.  The corpses of the dead pigs could be made into bacon after the battle.

I doubt this would ever be included, but one could grease up a pig with glycerol and fat, light it on fire, and set it loose in the enemy's fields and towns, too.  I seem to recall this was done in history at some point.

Ezuku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2008, 08:45:38 pm »

...Thousands of pounds of bacon on the hoof charging in...

Thanks. Now I have to go and buy some bacon. Mmm... death by bacon.

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2008, 12:34:22 am »

Did somebody say DEATH BY BACON!?
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Inquisitor Saturn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2008, 05:26:12 pm »

Come to think of it, it'd be nice to be able to designate something for being loaded into a catapault. A great new way to get rid of the tax collector.

Ezuku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2008, 09:58:28 pm »

Did somebody say DEATH BY BACON!?

That was insane. Thankyou very much for the link.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]