Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Corin's Mystery Massacre  (Read 4619 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Corin's Mystery Massacre
« on: June 13, 2004, 08:43:00 am »

So, well, while my computer was dying over the past couple of days I did THIS, because I was afraid to work on other projects while my source files were being randomly deleted.  The good news is that my computer seems to have stabilized a bit, and I'll be able to start back in on my projects.  The bad news is located at the link above, although it might be fun or something.  Or frustrating at the same time.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • From a time before a time before time
    • View Profile
Re: Corin's Mystery Massacre
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2004, 10:21:00 am »

When I saw this post I was hoping for a game involving Dwarves!    :p

This game is barely understandable, but the vast, vast post death information is intriguing enough for me to try again...

Demon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2004, 10:44:00 am »

This game rules!!

Now I understand mostly how to play, but the 'u' is still a mystery to me...

Flame brothers are the best (although I havent used most types yet)

[ June 13, 2004: Message edited by: Demon ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2004, 11:35:00 am »

I just put a new one up that fixes a crash bug.  Score files compatible.

Edit:  The 'u' is indeed mysterious.  Incidentally, it is 9:36AM my (non-forum) time, and I've been awake quite a while, testing.  Oh, and the game is supposed to be confusing.  Hence the mysterious title.  I should sleep.

[ June 13, 2004: Message edited by: Toady One ]

Demon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2004, 01:33:00 am »

I've mastered it pretty much, but I won't describe my findings and ruin your fun.  ;)  I had a game with tons of forts and batteries, but I left it on the status screen when I left earlier and when I got back someone had rebooted the computer apprently...  :mad:

I bought several up arrows in a few different colors...  Not quite sure what *those* do yet though...  Know about u's, *'s, (although I didn't use most of them), I think I know what Pi does, the A's, L/f, and the fliers too.  Only the flying enemies are challenging...  

Do I see smoke coming off enemies that I burn?  It looks like a few periods fly off them...

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2004, 03:03:00 am »

The best I've ever done in my testing is 4 "Sectors Cleared" in the score list.  The periods that come off enemies are the same as the periods that come off of your citizens and generators.  How long it takes you to figure out up arrows will depend on your strategy and your favorite colors, I guess.

Demon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2004, 06:14:00 pm »

Is it just me or are the high score lists really repetitive?  Is the board finite, or are there just a few sections that look like absolute borders?

What's your favorite color??  

Could you add the names of the nations to the staticy TV at the beginning so that you don't have to die and look at the score list to see what sounds good?

Time for another round!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2004, 06:56:00 pm »

You could always press h in the beginning to see what sounds good, but I SUPPOSE I could give the names on the TV.

I guess the score list looks repetitive because of the colors, but no numbers are repeated!  Recruitment and loss numbers will repeat the same names.

The board is finite.  Sectors are of a certain size (it won't just keep growing).  Raze all of the enemy bases and capture their generators, as per the instructions in the manual.  You'll know when you are done.  Then you'll get a "Sector Cleared".

I used to like red for my ship the most, but often right when I die I'd be pressing fire and sometimes friendly fire my base upon resurrection.  My best game came from light gray, although I had a good one with cyan recently.  I like to give magenta and white as auxillary colors to my units, but that's just me.  Of course, the starting color isn't very important since you'll eventually get them all.

As for the mystery and units/up arrows, I think yellow and dark red are probably the only colors that are virtually impossible to figure out (although some of the others are very hard).

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2004, 07:04:00 pm »

Oh, and some of the repetition was there to tie the colors together and give clues, sort of...

Edit: Okay, the new one is up in place of the old.

[ June 14, 2004: Message edited by: Toady One ]

Demon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2004, 07:35:00 pm »

I cleared a sector, mostly using yellow for myself.  It was...  anticlimatic...  I assumed I'd be unarmed at the beginning so I instantly fried my citizens accidently.

Bought plenty of up arrows (i know what they are called, but I don't want to spoil anything).  Still havent seen the effect, but I have a couple guesses.

Are all the weapons and units unique?  Many of the weapons look the same, but I noticed lots of slight differences...

[ June 14, 2004: Message edited by: Demon ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2004, 07:47:00 pm »

Everything's unique, except that your stuff corresponds to their stuff, pretty much.

Yes, anticlimactic.  The one at the end of 3 or 4 was better in my game, and they get better, but maybe not much until it's impossible.  If I had spent more time, I guess I would have done it differently.  On the other hand, maybe getting bogged down in the side project of the side project isn't prudent.

Fourth Triad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2004, 01:24:00 am »

Ah... Sounds like me... Don't worry thu once you get to my stage, you get bog down on a side project and you haven't even more than 20 lines of code done... But I'm going to change that... Oh, and I think I like red the best, yellow seemed a little lame to me, and then I walked away from the computer to get food... and I'm dead... almost cleared the sector too... So,  to summerise all that: the game kicks much ass.

Demon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2004, 05:47:00 pm »

So how long until you post all the spoily information??    :D

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2004, 06:30:00 pm »

You can send me an email or click on the private message icon if you are impatient!  I'm not sure if anybody else is playing or not.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2004, 10:38:00 pm »

Two things I observed when I started this up:

One, there's a mouse cursor present, though it obviously doesn't do anything.  I seem to remember this from other games, but somehow it bothers me more here.

Two, the game controls are unresponsive as heck on my machine.  The worst part is that holding down an arrow key causes the game to stop until I release it, forcing me to pound keys repeatedly to get anywhere.

And that's a pity, because the game itself looks quite fun.  Oh well.

Oh, if there's going to be any more work on this game, I'd suggest some sort of suspend-game function.  Leaving it on and then coming back to find that someone has rebooted the computer is no fun.

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One
Pages: [1] 2 3