Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Roll To Dodge--"Shattered Union"/Second American Civil War Edition  (Read 13892 times)

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Roll To Dodge--"Shattered Union"/Second American Civil War Edition
« on: September 11, 2008, 06:35:22 pm »

Judging from my terribly poor luck, I suspect this will be the first Roll To Dodge never to actually get any members. So, eh. Still...I do feel that I should make some sort of attempt.

Anyway, there is this one Xbox game that I have, known as Shattered Union. It has a great premise, and great gameplay, but a totally horrible and ill-organized storyline. I think the DF Community can in fact do better.

So, I'm going to make a quick summary of each of the major players in Shattered Union. You post, claiming one Faction as your own, and then following the simple rules. There is another ruleset about "Political Reputation", which is also a part of the Shattered Union game, altough it is meant to be a simplified version.

The goal is simple: To destroy all the other factions.

The rules are simple:
1. Post ONE action.
2. I will roll my six sided die and tell you what the outcome is.
3. If by some devine fate there is something hurtling toward you, you are given one free roll to dodge the object.
4. Once you obtain heavy bleeding every turn you have with that token you will get 1 roll to see if it kills you or not.

Here is how the die rolls work out:
1- Epic failure. You actually take the exact opposite action.
2- Failure.
3- Marginal success.
4- Success.
5- Perfect success.
6- Overshot. You complete your task with to much force and cause other results along with your intended.

Quote from: Political Repuation
All factions start off with a Political Repuation of 0. It decreases if you commit war crimes, do collateral damage, destroy important mouments, etc. It increases when you attack nations with negative Political Repuation, and overall act as a good-doer. This basically represent your relationship with NPCs. NPCs are more likely to be friendly to those with high Political Repuations and shun those with low Political Repuations.

Like in most "Roll To Dodges", you are allowed to do anything.

Backstory (C+Ped from Wikipedia):
In 2009, following George W. Bush's eight year term in office, David Jefferson Adams is elected the 44th President of the United States of America following a disputed election and a tie vote in the Electoral College (and subsequent tie-breaker by the United States House of Representatives), becoming the most unpopular president in U.S. history. A dramatic amount of civil unrest and rioting springs up all throughout the United States, resulting in domestic terrorism. In response, President Adams uses the Homeland Security Act and declares martial law on many areas of the country.

During the election of 2012, the Supreme Court disqualifies all the presidential candidates from holding office, effectively awarding Adams with a second term. The public reacts violently when incumbent Adams accepts his next term.

During the Inauguration Day in Washington, D.C. on January 20, 2013, a low-yield nuclear weapon is detonated, destroying the city, killing Adams, his cabinet, and most of the US Congress. The United States plunges into chaos.

Factions (Don't get intimidated by the small blurb that describe what the Faction is, I translated most of that stuff to something easier to read anyway.):
*California Commonwealth (Gold):
The California Commonwealth is primarily made of the former states of California, Nevada, Arizona, and Utah. Though wealthy in natural resources, the population is mostly clustered on the Pacific coast. Californians are viewed by the rest of the country as shallow, but with an eye for color; however, they are also creative and resourceful, dangerous as enemies and not hesitant to employ rather controversial tactics, such as the Jackson flamethrower tank.
Hippies.

*The Confederacy (White):
The Confederacy is made up of the former states of Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Tennessee, and Kentucky. To the Confederacy, the war is an attack on tradition, and the acts of all other factions are treasonous. Though viewed by the rest of the factions as backwards and stubborn, the Confederacy is actually quite progressive, employing highly advanced armaments like the energy-focused Lee tank, and has little in common with the first Confederacy, apart from geography.
Rednecks.

*Federation of the Great Planes (Yellow):
Made up of all or parts of the former states of Minnesota, Ohio, Michigan, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Missouri, Wisconsin, Kansas, Nebraska, North Dakota, and South Dakota, the farmers and herders of the Great Plains banded together in an attempt to preserve the integrity of the U.S. heartlands. Though generally viewed as ultra-conservative dirt farmers with a stubborn streak a mile wide, the members of the Federation are generally more tolerated and tolerant than any other faction, as they were often familiar with or members of them. The Great Plains faction's special unit is the FCS Grant 400mm self-propelled howitzer.
Angry Ultra-Conservative Farmers.

*New England Alliance (tanish bluish):
The NEA is made up of parts or all of the former states of New York, New Hampshire, Ohio, West Virginia, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maine, Vermont, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, and Connecticut. Members of the Alliance are driven and feel a strong sense of purpose in the war. Though only comprised of three territories, the NEA has one of the highest population densities in America, and possesses a lot of industry, producing such powerful units as the Bragg rocket tank. Prior to the secession, New Englanders felt that they were not given a strong enough vote.

The traditional Elite Liberals.

*Pacifica:
Made up of parts or all of Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, and Colorado, Pacifica came into being when refugees from San Francisco were forced from their homes by Californian militia. With nowhere else to turn, the region formed a defensive pact. Pacificans are often viewed as tree-hugging technophiles with no grasp on reality. However, the Pacificans see the war as a struggle against aggression and have put their technology to use in units like the Stuart gatling tank, preparing themselves to fight to the end.

Your average eco-terrorist/LCS member.

*The Republic of Texas
Some people argue that the Republic was just an excuse away from forming since Texas joined the union. Made up of parts or all of Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Missouri, the Republic is ferociously independent and a step away from anarchy. Though regarded as beer-swilling cowboys and gun toting rabble, Texans are also known to live by no-nonsense rules and take a dim view of traitors and bureaucrats. The Texans see that this is the only chance to remain the lone star state. Texans are surprisingly advanced as far as technology goes, employing such weapons as the monstrous Hood plasma-cannon tank and experimental cybernetic infantry.

Your traditional Arch-Conservative.

*European Union (Dark Blue):
The breakup of the U.S. compounded the growing instability in the world due to the loss of such a large and prolific goods market. In a rush vote, the E.U. sent in a "peacekeeping" force to reestablish the union of states before the chaos spreading across America spread into the rest of the world. The E.U. peacekeeping force now resides in a single territory made up of parts or all of Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey, but American resentment has grown since the E.U. decided to expand its role in the war. None of the units employed by the E.U. are the same as the American units, though their purposes are little different.

Frenchies.

Russia (Not Shown On Map, Only Controls Alaska):
Early in the war, the Russian Federation militarily annexes Alaska, using the expanded operations of the European Union as an excuse. The invasion is personally led by President Nicholai Vladekov, an ex-general and former Soviet hardliner, claiming that Alaska was never really part of the United States and that Russia was merely reclaiming its former territory.

Later, INTERPOL reveals the results of its investigation regarding the Inauguration Day bombing. President Vladekov had been dealing weapons on the black market for several years and masterminded the DC bombing so Russia could regain its military dominance and more easily control Europe. Protests throughout Russia force Vladekov to declare martial law in Moscow.

Ex-Commies.

Zarathustran Commonwealth (Not Shown on Map, Controls Puerto Rico):
Based on a combination of Nietzschean philosophy and Marxism-Leninism, the Zarathustran Commonwealth believes that everyone is born with no true purpose other than to serve and progress the whole of the human collective.  Those who are incapable of this are unworthy of life or freedom, and they make frequent use of work-camps and re-education facilities rather than execution or imprisonment.  The Zarathustran Commonwealth has a power base in Puerto Rico, the Caribbeans, and Florida, thanks mostly to financial and military assistance from the Cubans.

Commies.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 05:55:33 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll To Dodge--"Shattered Union"/Second American Civil War Edition
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 07:45:51 am »

Erm. Maybe I should make it easier for people to play, so as to encourage people to post in this thread.

Alright. If you want to play, just type up a small description of the faction you want to make and then type up your action. No need to choose a faction from the actual game.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 08:27:03 am »

i'll play. i'll take the Russians in Alaska. hopefully we get enough players to play...

my first action: I send a nuclear bomb on Montreal in Canada and try to frame the blame on terrorists!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 08:28:51 am by Poltifar »
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 08:47:46 am »

Hmmmmm...

I'll take the NEA.

I'll send recon units into the surrounding states to analyse the situation.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 09:58:38 pm »

Alright, I'll just hope other players will come eventually.

Russians (2): Due to increased security in Canada after the nuclear bombing in Washington, D.C., your spies has been captured by Canada. You have lost contact with the spies in question, and don't know if they have betrayed you or not.

NEA (6): You gather much intelligence reports using your recon units, gathering specific information on the exact military deployment of the Great Planes, the Confederacy, and the European Union. You learnt that elements of the Confederacy is planning an assault on the European Union during the next turn too.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 10:21:22 pm »

What the hell, I might as well try one of these RTDs.

Independent Republic of Fucking Texas.  Re-pre-zent, ya'll.

This OU/UT thing has gone on too damn long.  First act as Supreme Commander Of All Texans is obliterating Oklahoma City.

I don't remember if Oklahoma is part of Shattered Union's Texas, and I don't care.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 10:44:25 pm »

Silly mid westerners and your oakies and tornados and what not..
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 10:48:03 pm »

I take the plains.

We get the first Armored Division at Fort Knox to defect and/or give us advanced tank tech.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 12:30:53 am »

I'll take the California Commonwealth. My first act is to send a nuke to the Republic of Texas and attempt to annhilate Houston.
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 02:01:01 am »

I decide to extract all the oil from all the oil wells of Alaska! i need funds for any further plans...
<@Akroma> eh

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 02:34:20 am »

I send a large amount of troops to defend the Eu from attack! I also send a diplomat to the EU so that we can create an alliance.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2008, 10:54:31 am »

Maybe we should get two action a turn? (Rolled for seperatly). Nations can do more than one thing at once, right?

If so, I send iplomats to everyone, asking for peace.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2008, 10:59:52 am »

Yeah, make sense, Strife26. 2 actions per turn then.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2008, 02:40:58 pm »

ok, so 2 actions for this turn:
-i mine the oil wells in Alaska
-i send nuclear submarines to patrol north America's western coasts and attack any ship there
<@Akroma> eh

Nonanonymous

• Bay Watcher
  • A blithering idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2008, 03:36:00 pm »

The Zarathustran Commonwealth
-----------------------------------

Emblem:  A red star on a blue world surrounded by black nothingness.

Based on a combination of Nietzschean philosophy and Marxism-Leninism, the Zarathustran Commonwealth believes that everyone is born with no true purpose other than to serve and progress the whole of the human collective.  Those who are incapable of this are unworthy of life or freedom, and they make frequent use of work-camps and re-education facilities rather than execution or imprisonment.  The Zarathustran Commonwealth has a power base in Puerto Rico, the Caribbeans, and Florida, thanks mostly to financial and military assistance from the Cubans.

For my actions...  I attempt to incite a guerrilla force in Florida in my favor, and I begun constructing cyborg super soldiers capable of stripping enemy cities dry.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 03:54:35 pm by Nonanonymous »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4