Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: DF finds it's way into Microsoft offices.  (Read 3232 times)

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
DF finds it's way into Microsoft offices.
« on: September 12, 2008, 01:14:32 am »

It seems DF has crept into a conference room projector inside some Microsoft dev offices. :D

http://www.microspotting.com/2008/09/microsoftsouth-lake-union-office-people

Check the fifth picture from top to bottom.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 01:53:57 am by Zemat »
You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF finds it's way into Microsoft offices.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 01:49:38 am »

Both awesome and scary at the same time. Microsoft taking interest in an external piece of software rarely leads to anything good. Hopefully it's just those devs wanting to play with something that is actually fun though.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 02:47:20 am »

"I break software for giggles 'n' grins"

Ha ha.  Good luck.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 08:23:11 am »

"I break software for giggles 'n' grins"

Ha ha.  Good luck.

How much luck does he need?
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 08:26:15 am »

clicking on the picture you get the ifnformation
I asked Russ if I could take his picture in front of his dual monitors with the big map all over 'em.

"Ooh, but is that proprietary information?" I said, looking at the map and remembering that Russ works on a secret mobile services project. Maybe it's a map of some sort of special mobile global networking thinger!

He said, "No, it's just from Dwarf Fortress."

« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 08:28:48 am by TheSpaceMan »
Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 11:27:46 am »

This is only the beginning...
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 12:52:48 pm »

I asked Russ if I could take his picture in front of his dual monitors with the big map all over 'em.

"Ooh, but is that proprietary information?" I said, looking at the map and remembering that Russ works on a secret mobile services project. Maybe it's a map of some sort of special mobile global networking thinger!

He said, "No, it's just from Dwarf Fortress."

If there suddenly appears an "Elf Forest" game on MS smartphones or something we should all chip in to fund a lawyer for Toady.

Old School Gamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.arthuman.com
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 01:22:24 pm »

The good news is that Microsoft could never make a game as good as DF, even if they did make it with DX10 and if they put $10million into it, so there probably isn't anything to worry about. 

The only time I've ever had a lockup on my computer is when running Windows, the last time it did it almost farked up my hard drives and cd-rom, so I just axed windows.  Running a small jRPG game shouldn't have the possibility of totally farking up your hardware.  Formatting that partition was quite enjoyable.
Currently Playing:  DF, Galciv2, Eschelon Book 1, Helherron, Unreal World.

Currently Playing With: Linux.

Going to Buy: Warhammer Online, Space Rangers: Reloaded, Stardock's MoM Clone.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 01:51:50 pm »

That's one awesome set up for playing DF.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 03:14:26 pm »

The good news is that Microsoft could never make a game as good as DF, even if they did make it with DX10 and if they put $10million into it, so there probably isn't anything to worry about. 

The only time I've ever had a lockup on my computer is when running Windows, the last time it did it almost farked up my hard drives and cd-rom, so I just axed windows.  Running a small jRPG game shouldn't have the possibility of totally farking up your hardware.  Formatting that partition was quite enjoyable.

Big companies do not care about games like DF. DF gameplay is way too much complex already, so they could spend millions of dollars on developing a game like this with fancy graphics, but it would not sell good, that is 100%. Most of the gamers dont care about complex/intelligent gameplay at all. Look at WoW, GTA or Sims for example...and the big developers know this..but its all good, at least DF won't have any competitors.  ;)

theubie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 03:57:12 pm »

Look at WoW, GTA or Sims for example...and the big developers know this..but its all good, at least DF won't have any competitors.  ;)

Um, Sims 2 is pretty complex once you get all the expansions.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 03:58:58 pm »

Except that the controls are terrible.  I went into edit mode and couldn't for the life of me ROTATE AN OBJECT unless I slammed it into a wall, and that didn't always work.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2008, 04:01:58 pm »

Look at WoW, GTA or Sims for example...and the big developers know this..but its all good, at least DF won't have any competitors.  ;)

Um, Sims 2 is pretty complex once you get all the expansions.

Yeah, but who would pay for all those expansions. I still play Sim Earth every once, and awhile, I never even think of the Sims.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2008, 04:04:53 pm »

Coping someone else's game is far far easier than coming up with it yourself. (although I imagine some of the df internals would be a paid to copy in a nice way)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

AlexMax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2008, 05:19:06 pm »

This isn't "Microsoft interest in dwarf fortress", it's just one guy who happens to work at Microsoft who also happens to like playing Dwarf Fortress.

Calm down, no need to worry about the next version having a "Games for Windows" sticker on it. :P
Pages: [1] 2 3