Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: DF on par with (or even better than) X-Com, Civilization, Ultima, and so on  (Read 7657 times)

Moneo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF on par with (or even better than) X-Com, Civilization, Ultima, and so on
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2008, 03:12:53 am »

DF is just one of a pantheon of great games (some of which are mentioned in the OP) even as it is, and that pantheon also includes games were made in the past decade.

It could just be nostalgia, but personally I think that the craft of game-making has degenerated to some degree

Its nostalgia, there were plenty of crappy games made back then too. Just take a look at some NES roms for an example.

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2008, 04:50:37 am »

Its nostalgia, there were plenty of crappy games made back then too. Just take a look at some NES roms for an example.

This is so true.  Actually, I think most games back then were even crappier than todays.  We only remember that handfull of great ones though
MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2008, 05:08:50 am »

Oh, that's debatable. I'd still say Civ4 pwns DF :P I'm sure that after a few rounds of DF, anyone will still get sick of it, just like with the classics.

However, seeing the plans for DF, once it does reach version 1.0, it'll definitely be better than any game ever made.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2008, 05:54:03 am »

Seriously, though, I think you might be disappointed if you expect DF to 'get story'.  I'm fairly sure (and, indeed, hope) that the sandbox is just going to get bigger.

Where are my pancakes?

Check the Development notes, it is all in there.

Though I guess I say story very loosely...
Isn't that meant to be more of a world-genned story that develops with what you do, rather than a pregenerated story about you seeking to kill the evil xy?

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2008, 06:11:30 am »

Fair to say?  I think so.  It's better than X-Com was, I think.  Once it's a little further along and you can attack other sites and do other more advanced things, it's going to be better than really any other game.  I think this is an accurate statement as well.

ASCII graphics is what made it possible, among other things (complex game elements are not at all limited by creating graphical elements and making them mesh/ "look good").

But really, DF is head and shoulders above any other game.   One game that is close I think is Galciv2, but other than that there don't seem to be any others.

I realize that this is kind of just an "obligatory praise" thread, but I think it's an accurate statement.

1. This topic is way too subjective.
2. How can you compare DF to X-Com or Ultima for example??  ::) Totally different games...
3. DF has no real competitors, the game is very unique.

DF is surely in the top5 games of all time for me [even if its pre-alpha!], but its absolutely pointless to compare it to totally different games..

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2008, 06:22:48 am »

Oh, that's debatable. I'd still say Civ4 pwns DF :P I'm sure that after a few rounds of DF, anyone will still get sick of it, just like with the classics.

However, seeing the plans for DF, once it does reach version 1.0, it'll definitely be better than any game ever made.

I have civ 4 and DF loaded on my computer, with nocd cracks for civ 4 so its absolutely no effort to get it loaded.

I've played through... ONE game of civ 4 to the end.

I've played a lot of fortresses.
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2008, 07:31:22 am »

OF course it's subjective topic, I don't think topic was created so that we could all agree with Old School Gamer.  I usually judge a game on its context (what else was around when it came out) and how much I enjoyed it.  For me, Ultima 7, Ultima Underworld, Quake3, Darklands, and Chronotrigger beat out Dwarf Fortress.  But it's amazing that a 2-man team could create a game which rivals those, and DF isn't too far behind them in my heart.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2008, 10:29:32 am »

I have civ 4 and DF loaded on my computer, with nocd cracks for civ 4 so its absolutely no effort to get it loaded.

Really? Ive finished tons of single/multi games in Civ4...but I am only playing with the FfH2 mod.  ;D

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2008, 12:36:12 pm »

There are still good games released, but in most cases they're just refinement of tried and true concepts. What are the games getting hype currently? Diablo 3, Red Alert 3, Fallout 3, Starcraft 2 and so on. Of course, there's nothing wrong with using a working formula (in some cases it would have been better if they had stuck closer to it), but for me, personally, there is a certain innovative element that's missing in new games.

Of course, there were plenty of horrible abominations or plain mediocrities released back in the 80/90's as well, but that was the period when most(all?) of the current game genres appeared.

I still spend more time playing old classics (or true remakes thereof) than recent games. I'll freely admit to being a hopeless nostalgic though.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2008, 03:49:52 pm »

Dwarf fortress is better than masturbation.

That's debatable, because I bet playing DF 50 times a month won't lower your chances of certain types of cancer.

DF lowers your chances of skin cancer from sunlight exposure.

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2008, 03:57:06 pm »

That's debatable, because I bet playing DF 50 times a month won't lower your chances of certain types of cancer.
Laptop, extension lead, garden.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2008, 05:08:26 pm »

There are still good games released, but in most cases they're just refinement of tried and true concepts. What are the games getting hype currently? Diablo 3, Red Alert 3, Fallout 3, Starcraft 2 and so on. Of course, there's nothing wrong with using a working formula (in some cases it would have been better if they had stuck closer to it), but for me, personally, there is a certain innovative element that's missing in new games.

Of course, there were plenty of horrible abominations or plain mediocrities released back in the 80/90's as well, but that was the period when most(all?) of the current game genres appeared.

I still spend more time playing old classics (or true remakes thereof) than recent games. I'll freely admit to being a hopeless nostalgic though.

Actually yeah, but its very hard to find unique and decent games nowadays. Basically I plan to buy games in the future, but I am pretty sure, that none of those will be as good as DF [gameplay wise], maybe only the upcoming "MoM clone" by Stardock or the Blood Bowl game.
As for the games what you have mentioned...I dont know. Those will be very popular for sure, but somehow I dont care about them too much. Diablo is just a mindless hack and slash game, Fallout 3 looks like ok, but I surely wont enjoy it as much as the old Fallout games, since the game will be very different [I suppose theyve changed everything like this, because they would like to sell lot of copies, and an old FO style game wouldnt sell very good],
Starcraft 2 will be good for sure, but its just an ordinary strategy game, and the same is true about Red Alert 3.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2008, 07:40:26 pm »

Civilization, Ultima, and so on

...I would suggest that Civilization and Ultima were really not very good games. Sure, I've played them extensively, enjoyed them, but they were not very well made.

Civilization was neat because it was ground breaking at the time, but if you go back and play it and really pay attention...I think you'll see that it's actually very poorly designed. Combat was utterly simplistic, and often ridiculous (phalanx destroys a battleship, anyone?) the build tree was not well made, the game was thoroughly full of situations that didn't really make much sense(400 years for a 100,000 people to build a library?) entire systems of the game were badly made and completely useless (diplomacy?) and the AI was basically a random number generator (computer builds hanging gardens before you get your first marketplace?) Civilization was a glorified educational encyclopedia with a poorly thought out game slapped onto it. It was like Treasure Math Storm, or Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego with resource and combat systems stapled to it.

The Ultima series, especially in the beginning, was plagued with similar problems. Again...don't misunderstand. I played all these games at the time and enjoyed them thoroughly. But let's not let our sense of nostalgia blind us. Consider Ultima III. It was my introduction to the series. Fully half of the game was simply wandering around collecting gold to pay for all the myriad random stuff you had to pay for. A considerable portion of the rest of the game was simply waiting around to get a pirate ship. Most of the major premises of the game were completely random and nonsensical. Touching lava in one dungeon gives you immunity to fire? Touching lava in another dungeon allows you to walk through forcefields? Touching lava in yet another dungeon allows you to teleport over sea serpents? That was a major point in the game...touching lava in each of the various dungeons to give you super powers that you needed elsewhere. Now, sure...the game did have some very interesting ideas. The final battle was against a computer that you couldn't fight, you had to feed punch cards that would give it intructions to self destruct. Sure. That's neat. An unconventional. But how did you figure out that this was what you were supposed to do? Some random peasant in some random town tells you. Most of the game clues were discovered this way. Talk to random dude who gives you a major secret of the universe. Not well thought out. And the clues that weren't freely given by random passersby were purchased from clue merchants for gobs of gold. Again the theme of "kill stuff to get gold" being the majority of gameplay. And what about the cards themselves...where did they come from? After suicidally sailing the pirate ship that you wandered around for days looking for into a whirlpool...you're transported to a magic land with attribute vending machines that you dump thousands and thousands of gold into to become stronger, smarter, etc. And, if you "search" around these machines, you find the punchcards you need to command the big, evil bad guy computer to self destruct.

Who thinks this stuff up? It's totally random, unintuitive, doesn't make sense, isn't much fun to play, and it's only the fact that these games were the first in their genres that they did so well. We may have emotional attachment to them because they were so novel at the time...but really, if you were to slap pretty graphics on games like these, the gameplay and design aren't any better than many of the modern trash games that are being produced now.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 07:44:16 pm by LordBucket »

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2008, 08:00:46 pm »

Of course DF is open ended, so there is a good incentive to just give up your old fortress and start a nw one (or even, start a new one every time a new version of DF appears,which is almost every month :D )

I agree with what other people have said. DF is difficult to compare with the other games mentioned. Civ (IV) allows you to found a whole civilization, together with religions and technologies. stretching from the past to the near future. So it is hard to compare to DFs development of a single fortress.
Ultima is a RPG, so it isnīt really comparable with the fortress mode of DF. It might be comparable to the adventure mode of DF, but in this case I think, severalparts of Ultima (liek Ultima VI for example) are still better than the adventure mode of DF.

Itīs as well hard to compare to X-COM.

As Tormy says, the game is unique (maybe as unique as Civ (I)  was  at the time it was published).
And hopefully it will stay this way for a long time.

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2008, 08:06:26 pm »

I lose a lot faster when playing X-Com (and when playing Civ, but it doesn't tell me till the end of the game).
That's either a good or bad sign, I guess, but I like it more.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6