Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Average liberal victory length?  (Read 1657 times)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Average liberal victory length?
« on: June 03, 2008, 06:14:00 am »

How long does it take most of y'all to win in the recent versions?

I just finished a 40-year-to-elite-liberal game, but I don't know if that was short or long (I haven't won any others since probably 2 years and who knows how many versions back). In particular, I don't know if that grueling run was typical because I did a pacifist victory: no crimes bigger than vandalism, a tiny bit of racketeering, and disturbing the peace, and in fact never actually "broke onto the scene" (which meant, amongst other things, neither did the CCS; if they had, my slow tag-to-triumph victory would never have come to pass). Most importantly, that was entirely without sleepers (so yes, lots and lots of holding down 'w').

I will say that I've come to realize my past foolishness in thinking that, EL Amendment withstanding, converting the court is the slowest part of going EL. No, it's the Senate. That took 18 years to go from 51 EL to 67 EL, with the House being EL from perhaps 2 or 4 years before the Senate hit 51. The Court went from 0/4/2/2/1 to 0/1/0/1/7 in the same time frame... but oh, those horrid Senate votes with 0-2 seats changing!

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Average liberal victory length?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 08:49:00 am »

normally it takes me around 35-50 years, but in recent games I've started making an invincible death squad with heavy body armor and M16s. I just kill the CCS and turn the country elite liberal very quickly using AM radio / cable tv. It still takes well over 20 years.
Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 12:07:00 pm »

It really seems to me that if the country is elite liberal, it shouldn't take more then 6 years for the government to reflect that.

I don't know about victory legth though.  I've never had the patience to finish a game.

Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 12:47:00 pm »

There's a Conservative Crime Squad?  Are you just referring to general enemies, or are they an actually force in the game?
Shoes...

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 01:06:00 pm »

There's an actual Conservative Crime Squad in the game. It has site actions that make the news, can send thugs to attack your people as you escape sites, and even has safehouses that you can locate and attack through interrogating or dating their members.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 03:18:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by mainiac:
<STRONG>It really seems to me that if the country is elite liberal, it shouldn't take more then 6 years for the government to reflect that.</STRONG>

As painful as it was to trod through the last few years of it, I don't think it should be made easier. The more closely aligned the government is to the electorate's ideals, the harder it will be for them to be bothered to effect radical change; the good becoming the enemy of the perfect, for a change. Also, one needs to recall that even in the face of political upheaval, Senate and SC change is slow because for structural and cultural reasons; for the Senate, incumbents in practice have a massive advantage over challengers.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 03:25:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan S. Fox:
<STRONG>There's an actual Conservative Crime Squad in the game. It has site actions that make the news, can send thugs to attack your people as you escape sites, and even has safehouses that you can locate and attack through interrogating or dating their members.</STRONG>

One quirky thing is that CCS people exist and can be seen even before the CCS goes active. About 30 years into the game described above, I decided I wanted to combat train my hardened gang of tagging criminals (I had over $300000 rotting in the bank, so why not?), and so started trolling the cigar bar for promising military types... and ended up seducing a CCS Vigilante, even tho' the CCS was inactive at the time, always had been, and always would be. It's probably more trouble than it's worth to do so, but it would make more sense for them to be plain-old-ordinary Vigilantes until the CCS activates.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 10:12:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by E. Albright:
<STRONG>

As painful as it was to trod through the last few years of it, I don't think it should be made easier. The more closely aligned the government is to the electorate's ideals, the harder it will be for them to be bothered to effect radical change; the good becoming the enemy of the perfect, for a change. Also, one needs to recall that even in the face of political upheaval, Senate and SC change is slow because for structural and cultural reasons; for the Senate, incumbents in practice have a massive advantage over challengers.</STRONG>

LCS isn't meant to be a realistic portrayal of US politics however.  To me, the fun of a 6-8 yr. crime fest is obviously a lot more then spending 30-100 years waiting for sleepers and activists to do their work.  I think reality is a novel source material but not something we should be overly concerned with.

Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.