Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Help with cars and armor?  (Read 2857 times)

MisterMister

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Help with cars and armor?
« on: June 03, 2008, 10:38:00 am »

I wasn't able to access the source, not that I would know where to look anyway, and I was wondering about a few things.

Is there anyway to tell which car is better without doing a bunch of tests and seeing which one will flip over more...which is lethal.  If we go by difficulty of acquistion should we assume taxi cabs are the best?

Are sewn trenchcoats the same as the ones bought from the costume store?  How good is this new police armor that seems to be in?  Where do I find the heavy ballistic vests?  How am I sure that they are working?  Are messages different from "dodging" as in the bullets miss more or are they likely to be absorbed with "no effect?"  In the future will it be possible to layer armor such as wearing a trenchcoat over a vest?

ay NO to LOLongbow-tardation.

Say YES to FREE PIE.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: Help with cars and armor?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 11:17:00 am »

no idea on the car issue.

the police vests that were "recently" included, can pretty much only be procured by killing SWAT teams. the much better ArmyBdyArmor on the other hand can be procured from a variety of enemies from mercenaries to national guards and even CSS members (sometimes).

all the clothes are the same quality whether they are made by rescued sweatshop workers, or the un-rescued ones and then bought.

also recently (really) a new armor was introduced called Heavy Body Armor, which can only be procured from CSS bosses, and I imagine is some sort of suit of plate mail made out of thin tank armor, it protects from anything under 9mm and it takes 3 rifle shots to [D]amage it. Oh and it also is an attention magnet- no chance of hiding with one of these.

However I have a question of my own- Damaged armors, how bad are they at protecting? I know they give a penalty to disguise, but how about protection levels?

[ June 03, 2008: Message edited by: a1s ]

I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

MisterMister

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 11:23:00 am »

Do you find CSS hideouts from interrogation?  Is that where the CSS bosses instantiate?  I'm also getting police body armor from regular cops is the SWAT one different?  I haven't run into any yet and I haven't even been raided yet either despite running around and murdering stuff.

Say YES to FREE PIE.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 11:32:00 am »

really? could be...

SWATs come during sieges (or sometimes during conservative response)
CSS hideouts can be found though interrogation of a CSS Vigilante (you don't need to make them a sleeper, just for them to draw a map)

I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 12:01:00 pm »

case VEHICLE_PICKUP:
     case VEHICLE_SUV:
     case VEHICLE_TAXICAB:
     case VEHICLE_JEEP:
        vbonus=1;
        break;
     case VEHICLE_POLICECAR:
        vbonus=2;
        break;
     case VEHICLE_SPORTSCAR:
     case VEHICLE_AGENTCAR:
        vbonus=3;

Police car gives a bonus of 2, sportscar and agentcar (the car agents drive) give a bonus of 3.

case ARMOR_CIVILLIANARMOR  :prot=4;break;
     case ARMOR_POLICEARMOR  :prot=5;break;
     case ARMOR_ARMYARMOR  :prot=6;break;
     case ARMOR_HEAVYARMOR  :prot=7;break;

Civilian armor has a protection of 4, police has a protection of 5, army armor has a protection of 6, heavy armor has a protection of 7.  Looks like trenchcoats don't give any natural armor bonus, but they do give a huge bonus for concealing weapons.

Damaged armor has half protection, rounded down.  Quality of the armor also gives a bonus, and quality goes from 1-4.  Although there might be a glitch with the armor quality thing...  I didn't code it so I don't want to touch it,  but I think that -= should be a +=...

Anyway, hope that answers your questions.

[ June 03, 2008: Message edited by: Puzzlemaker ]

The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 12:42:00 pm »

Body armor was recently overhauled. Non-body armor no longer gives a bonus, which means that clothes and trenchcoats and togas are all basically equivalent now, though trenchcoats are still good for concealing medium sized weapons. Additionally, body armor only gives a bonus for torso hits, not anything else. That's not too bad though, since LCS shares the "real-world" system of having a lot of your lethal blows be torso hits, which is why armor goes there in the first place. The biggest drawback to torso only is that there are a lot of headshots in LCS.

Body armor now has much higher damage reduction IF the bullets don't have high armor piercing value to bypass it. Otherwise, if you grab an assault rifle, it'll punch through weaker armors like paper and still kill the target. The greater the difference between the armor penetration of the weapon and the armor strength of the vest the target is wearing, the more huge the damage reduction.

Finally, all police now receive standard issue body armor. So you don't need to fight SWAT to steal some, but it makes your standard cops a bit tougher.

(Oh, and body armor affects damage reduction, not dodge chance. So you'll still take the hit, and just see less damage or no effect. It doesn't work like DnD armor class.)

All of the vehicles are equally armored, and right now car chases are very biased in your favor. Enemies have a large penalty to hit you, and you have a small penalty to hit them. At some point it might be nice to have this be based on driving skill, and make it so that there are flavor text blurbs for the driver swerving to prevent the shooter from getting a clear shot.

The quality of the vehicle is important when it comes to determining how well a good driver can maneuver the car. I *think* that right now a good car is harder to roll, but ideally I'd want a good car to be easier to roll for an amateur, but also easier to outrun pursuers for a pro. That way you end up not wanting to give race cars to people who can't drive, lest they get everyone killed.

Quality for all armor and clothing goes by the first/second/third/fourth rate system, where the higher the number the more shoddy the clothing (thus why it appears to be backwards, where higher quality numbers mean bigger penalties to armor strength). Every type of body armor in the game right now always has first rate (best) -- the other qualities really only apply to home-made gear from poorly skilled people, and you can't make home-mode body armor at the moment. Theoretically one can reduce the quality of professionally made armor by doing bad repairs, but that never kicks in, even for amateur clothing repair jobs.

MisterMister

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 12:43:00 pm »

Yeah here's a screenshot with the police body armor
http://img373.imageshack.us/img373/2924/lcsms7.jpg

And thanks for the car info.  I've been using a sportscar but it still likes to flip.  How much driving do you you need for a "gurantee?"  I currently have liberal with like 2.5 driving.

Say YES to FREE PIE.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 02:33:00 pm »

aha...

well actually in real life most armors come with both the vest and the helmet (in fact in many armies it's just the helmet).

as for homemade armor, I would like to suggest Padded Armor, which is basically 2 coats with lots of cottons, or assorted cloths between them. (Where I live you can just use an old soviet coat, which used cotton fillings for warmth, but as I understand those are not used in the US.) This sort of design has been the poor man's choice of armor since the middle ages.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 03:36:00 pm »

Would it make sense then to re-differentiate what SWAT and normal police get, with the SWAT getting the full chest-and-helmet kit and the beat cops getting a vest? Likewise heavy and army armor being chest-and-head, and civilian armor (which is what? This isn't chainmail by any chance, is it?) being just a vest-type affair.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 03:47:00 pm »

If I understand it's what usually falls off CSSVs. However in one of the threads it was promised to us that the "mithril" chain mail would give some minimal protection, does it?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 10:03:00 pm »

Helmet technology has been the cornerstone of armor since the bronze ages.  While providing complete coverage for the head is quite difficult (what with seeing and breathing), the head is the number one place to protect if you want to prevent substantial injury.  In WWI, even british officers (the guys with freakin' swagger sticks) donned helmets before going over the top.

Body Armor on the other hand has always lagged.  A body armor proof against a modern bullet only became viable in the 70's with the development of kevlar.  Before then any body armor was much to heavy for infantry use.  And even a modern composite armor is a heck of a lot heavier then a helmet which is far harder to penetrate.

So, basically, anyone wearing armor but not a helmet in a full out firefight has their priorities backwards.  Helmet's probably shouldn't work like body armor though.  They should be a lot harder to penetrate but only protect against something like 50% of attacks.  You could just put in a helmet value which has a certain chance (depending on the armor type) of just automatically deflecting any shot to the head entirely.

[ June 03, 2008: Message edited by: mainiac ]

Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 02:32:00 am »

I like the idea of having helmets being implicitly part of the armor and offer partial coverage, but I don't think they should be stronger. Historically armor was all about being hard, but when rifles were invented, that entire line of infantry armor died and war was virtually armor-free for hundreds of years; helmets, where used, were similar to swords in that they were artifacts rarely applicable to actual combat. Helmets came back en masse in WWI because they could protect the head from much slower and less penetrating shrapnel from above, which was a particular danger in trench warfare with regular artillery barrages. Body armor came back in WWII in the form of flak vests to protect bomber crews from shrapnel. In both cases armor returned because of the large scale deployment of area effect weapons that were weak enough to be stopped by outdated armor technology.

When it comes to actually stopping bullets, that's taken a different approach altogether. In this, it's torso armor that has been the champion, and helmets are usually quite a bit weaker. The US Army, for example, uses armor that surrounds the torso and head with kevlar capable of reliably and repeatedly stopping the light MP5 used by LCS, but can't consistently stop rifle rounds like the AR-15, M16, and AK-47 that LCS uses. To do that, the army relies on large hard ceramic inserts to the chest and back. The ceramic plates break apart as they're shot and don't guarantee more than a few hits of protection (the armor becomes "damaged" and loses the ability to stop high end weapons), so they have to be pulled out and replaced (the armor is "repaired" and brought back up to effectiveness). There's no equivalent mechanic in the helmets, and a single AK-47 round can kill a soldier through his helmet if he's not lucky.

With that said, that doesn't mean they're useless, as they can still prevent a glancing blow from penetrating and so still save a soldier's life even with a round they don't guarantee protection against, and this feeds into a criticism of the model I described: Currently, if the weapon is stronger than the armor, it *ignores* the armor, while if the weapon is weaker, it rolls for damage at a penalty. I think this is totally backwards; if the weapon is weaker, the weapon should be reduced to no damage, and if the weapon is penetrating, it should roll with reduced damage. To compensate, a more realistic way of rolling whether the armor has an effect could be used. Most body armor does not protect the entire torso, just as most helmets don't protect the entire head, and so body armor could have a roll to see whether it kicks in. Or, it could just rely on head shots and arm and leg shots to bypass the body armor if you don't have a strong enough weapon.

Either way, all these special calculations would get pretty suspiciously opaque, so the feedback to the player would have to be updated. "Joe's armor absorbs the attack." "The attack penetrates Jane's armor!" Or something like that. Then the player knows if the armor was hit, and whether the attack was stopped by the armor or not.

Edit:

- Mithril armor briefly, for like one release, provided a small amount of protection. With the body armor redesign it has been re-relegated to the junk heap. On the flip side, the also-promised 90% price reduction is still in effect. But a worthless object sold 90% off... caveat emptor.

Your Liberals must have missed the disclaimer:

MITHRIL ARMOR IS PROVIDED TO YOUR LIBERALS "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT OF THE RIGHTS OF A THIRD PARTY. IN NO EVENT SHALL OUBLIETTE PARTY SUPPLIES INC. BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES OR ANY OTHER LIABILITY, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO DAMAGES RESULTING FROM DEATH OR SERIOUS BODILY HARM, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH MITHRIL ARMOR OR THE USE OR POSSESSION THEREOF.

- Civilian armor is meant to be a concealable "bulletproof" vest under clothes. It's called civilian simply because it's lighter than whatever the police use and I couldn't think of a better name. It's probably only effective against the .22s that security guards favor and random melee weapons and fists people like to smack you with. I think even police handguns will punch through it.

- For driving, I don't know off hand how much skill will totally prevent a crash. To improve survivability I might suggest not swerving around fruit stands. While your heart must go out to fruit sellers that might get squashed, avoiding fruit stands is my experience the most dangerous maneuver you can pull during a chase. Sad but, at least in my tests, apparently true.

[ June 04, 2008: Message edited by: Jonathan S. Fox ]

[ June 04, 2008: Message edited by: Jonathan S. Fox ]

MisterMister

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 04:31:00 pm »

Using some CCS brainwashed drones (the couple I picked up had 4.0 driving but weak physical stats) and I haven't crashed up yet, knock on wood.

However, if I were to say get a more "true" liberal companinion which of the driver characters tend to have the most skill and where do they show up?  I can never find the truck driver/taxi driver when I look for them.

I was wondering this because I'm not sure whether or not I want to get caught to "refresh" my record.  I'm finally starting to get police attention.  However with a 100+ murders everyone but my founder get's canned for good with two hanging judge sleepers of 10 and 7 skill respectively and a sleeper lawyer of 7.0.  Do multiple judges and lawyers stack like before or is it better just to keep avoiding the cops?

Say YES to FREE PIE.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 06:54:00 pm »

Judges never stacked how you think. There is an X in something chance to draw a sleeper judge where X is the number of judges you have. Any lawyer beyond the first that you have doesnt count for anything unless they have a higher law I think. For what you have you should get about maybe 20% of your organization get a pass with those two sleeper judges but always use your lawyer for best chance.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 09:44:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan S. Fox:
<STRONG>Your Liberals must have missed the disclaimer:

MITHRIL ARMOR IS PROVIDED TO YOUR LIBERALS "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT OF THE RIGHTS OF A THIRD PARTY. IN NO EVENT SHALL OUBLIETTE PARTY SUPPLIES INC. BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES OR ANY OTHER LIABILITY, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO DAMAGES RESULTING FROM DEATH OR SERIOUS BODILY HARM, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH MITHRIL ARMOR OR THE USE OR POSSESSION THEREOF.</STRONG>

Phooah!  Conservative boilerplate.  Elite Liberals don't read that stuff, man.

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin
Pages: [1] 2