Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Skill Raising Questions:  (Read 3033 times)

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
Re: Skill Raising Questions:
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2008, 03:21:00 am »

Yes, it would appear that despite your best intentions, your founder is obstinately refusing to stop acting like a cat burglar prowling around and try to act natural, because he/she things that stealth is the best skill to use in this situation given a much greater aptitude for it. Best way to fix that is as BishopX suggests, get somebody good at it to train him/her the expensive way.

Brendan

• Bay Watcher
  • fa/tg/uy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2008, 08:12:00 am »

How I raised my founder's disguise and stealth from 0 to max was by rescuing a sweatshop worker from the Garment Maker's in Industrial and getting them to make me a security uniform, and then waiting just outside the entrance to the garment maker's for a security guard. As soon as they got suspicious I left, and then re-entered. Eventually I had too much disguise skill to raise it in this fashion, at which point I started doing the same thing but inside the Gentleman's Club.

Stealth is pretty much the same, except instead of a security uniform, you strip naked and stand at the entrance to one of the apartment buildings. Your stealth skill will increase as long as you are in the room with a conservative and are naked. (I guess you're trying to hide yourself out of shame or something? How conservative.)

If you have a vehicle before you do this you will also end up raising your driving skill since you'll be doing quite a bit of entering and leaving, since even if you are undetected you still need to leave/re-enter after every point of disguise/stealth you gain because it doesn't seem to go any higher.

And now for my own skill-raising question: Is there an easy way to gain security skill? My infiltrator's security skill is at 7 and the only way I seem to get any skill gains for it is to sneak through the CEO residence or the Corporate headquarters and try cracking the safe. I only get the occasional success at the CEO residence and never at the Corporate headquarters, but it does raise my security skill by a miniscule amount (something like 0.07 every try). Breaking all the locks in the apartment buildings doesn't raise my skill anymore (neither does breaking any locks on doors in other buildings).

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2008, 09:26:00 am »

skills are raised even if they say they don't, but you will not see the effect until you reenter (in fact because such reentry would make you better, they are raised faster if you don't go away).
same thing with security- apartment lock are no longer challenging you. strangely enough, I think, animal cages will (what kind of society keeps it's animals protected better then people?!).
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Nonanonymous

• Bay Watcher
  • A blithering idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2008, 03:11:08 pm »

How long does it take for a skill like first-aid to get to a point where it can be used?  My purple gorilla and genetic monster have been trained up to a 0.28 or so in first aid by my doctor, will they be able to use and learn that skill in the field now?

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2008, 05:16:11 pm »

no. there is no skill level 0.28, it just means level 0 and 28% of the progress towards 1. so... there's noting to use yet, you see.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.
Pages: 1 [2]