Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Suggestions Forum Organization  (Read 258267 times)

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: Suggestions Forum Organization
« Reply #105 on: December 14, 2013, 02:18:25 am »

Magic

Crafting Systems

Civilizations

New Creatures

Infrastructure systems

Mechanical Systems

UI and Other Game Mechanics

Would be the ones I'd put in.

Infrastructure Systems would be anything that falls into the category of making things that are necessary to live. Production systems and such. Also things like 'waste' which everyone keeps demanding.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

immenotyou

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 27, 2014, 06:48:41 pm »

i have a suggestion for a second way to regain limbs/fingers possibly by getting a rabbit left paw? and a four leaf clover then using them to regain a part ex. finger shoulder elbow toe knee foot etc.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 07:06:34 pm by immenotyou »

Lanie

• Bay Watcher
  • A young philosopher playing DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 24, 2014, 05:02:33 pm »

sorry, wrong thread.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 08:14:04 am by Lanie »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 24, 2014, 08:32:12 pm »

This isn't where suggestions go. This is a thread discussing the layout of where suggestions go.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Ngosp Umbabok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 30, 2014, 03:09:23 pm »

One thing I noticed is that on the eternal suggestion voter thing there were 3 suggestions within the top 20 that have been implemented already to the point where they could be removed from the list

Specifically:

Viewing dwarf mental status
Retiring forts
Aging birth and death after world gen

Removing these would allow people who voted for them to vote for other things and it would
Update the list to make it a more accurate representation of what people want in the game

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 30, 2014, 04:53:19 pm »

That would probably be better suited to the Eternal Suggestion Voting thread.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 30, 2015, 03:07:12 pm »

I know it might not be the best thread to put it, but pretty please, can we have this mod installed?

There are some threads I regret writing on because they keep cluttering my view every time I hit the Show new replies to your posts. link.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 30, 2015, 03:17:18 pm »

Toady is the only one that has the ability to do that (possibly ThreeToe as well), and he doesn't follow this thread regularly, so you should send him a PM if you want him to see that.
Out of curiosity, do you know if that's compatible with SMF 2.0.9? It does list a handful of 2.0.x versions that are older than what this forum uses, but I'm not familiar enough with SMF to know if any versions in between could have broken compatibility with that mod.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 03:20:07 pm by lethosor »

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 26, 2015, 12:40:20 am »

As a suggestion who comments in threads

1) Do not tell people to post in Megathreads when they come up with a specific suggestion. Megathreads are the book equivalents of "reference books" and "Encyclapedias".
2) Do not link people to other threads that are "In the same general area" but aren't the same suggestion.
3) Mods are not a replacement for any suggestion. Do not bring it up except accompanied by "While you are waiting for this to be implemented, here is a mod that does this". Do not forget these words, they will smoothe out a lot of arguments.
4) Remember that to the person who makes the thread they believe in their own suggestion and are sharing it with hopes of improving the game. Be honest, but don't rip into them.
5) Alternatives and building on other suggestions are far more valuable then saying a suggestion is bad. If it is possible, think of ways it could be implemented.

As for people who make threads
1) Always properly name your thread. The main topic and the specific topic for example "Mounts: Saddles providing a riding bonus"
2) If you have multiple topics that are too numerous to list. Pick the best suggestion in your list and make that as the title with a "+ Other suggestions". OR find a common thread between them.
3) Always search first before posting, as well as the dev list.
4) Stay away from vague "Do better" suggestions. Suggestions need to be specific. "Combat needs to be more interesting" is vague, what could make combat more interesting?
5) Try not to include fixing bugs as a suggestion. Certainly they need to be fixed, but they aren't really a feature.
6) People won't like your suggestions, it will just happen. People will pick on small details or dislike it for fairly asinine reasons. This doesn't mean your suggestion wasn't good.
7) Avoid complaints as suggestions as well. "Dragons aren't fun" isn't specific, do you want them improved, removed, what about them needs to be improved and why?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 12:53:12 am by Neonivek »

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 13, 2016, 12:48:16 pm »

Are there any third party sites we can use? (Not Reddit, too hard to view and comment on less popular old threads.) It has to have voting and decent search.

Brothers and sisters, how about Github? Use the issue tracking as the suggestions board and the thumbs reactions as votes. If i can get Toady to sticky it i'll add the old Eternal Voting suggestions.

Soooo, toady is worried about trolls, which i gotta admit is fair. Advantage of the now defunct suggestions ranker was that it colored votes according to post count. Sounds like we need another custom built utility (with more functionality), which hopefully shouldn't be too hard.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 10:17:41 am by Novel Scoops »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

saharo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 25, 2018, 11:54:42 am »

Hello everybody.
Excuse me if I didn't read the whole 8 pages of this thread.
I'm starting to get a real interest for the suggestion thread, and I'd love to have a place that is some sort of overview of what's the status of the conversation in the community. I see that there has been a tentative to put this overview somewhere:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/User:Granite26/Suggestions
but it's not updated since 2009 and the suggestion thread keeps popping the same questions over and over.
Is there any effort active to give life to that wiki page? I would definitely love it, and I would give my contribution as I slowly research the topic that interest me.

thanks everybody!

Gweetarplaya

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 21, 2020, 09:57:49 pm »

Hello!  I'm an occasional lurker who's played the game in short bursts every few years (since 40d).  The game is so much bigger and the world is so much better than when I first downloaded it.  Thank you for your efforts!

I've been thinking of making a suggestion using the Threetoe story format.
(Story -> Analysis/Desired Feel)
  • Analysis would be translated into specific mechanics
  • These mechanics may be separated into discrete chunks that are designed to work with each other
  • Further discussion on how these mechanics may contribute toward / alleviate other requests.
Would making a Threetoe style story suggestion be appropriate?  Or would that be invasive towards the game vision.
If I made the story/suggestions would this forum category be the place to put it?
Thank you!

Demandro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 02, 2021, 03:27:29 am »

I think this suggestion should go here if I understand this correctly.
Most recent replies should be displayed at the top and at the first page of the topic messages list.
I bet even Armok can't make and anvil without having one already, the true god is Anvil, and Armok is just a mere pawn in it's wicked game, a slave whose sole purpose is to make and destroy worlds for his superiors amusement...
EDIT: Forget the anvil, you can't mine ore without pickaxe therefore you can't make neither anvil or pickaxe.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 02, 2021, 11:50:02 am »

I think this suggestion should go here if I understand this correctly.
Most recent replies should be displayed at the top and at the first page of the topic messages list.
This thread is for discussing how to organize discussions in this subforum. Your suggestion sounds to me like a suggestion for changing the forum software itself, which is not in the scope of this thread, and likely not something anyone in this thread can address.

However, this does appear to be a personal preference you can change: under http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=theme, try checking "Show most recent posts at the top" and saving.

Orange-of-Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 16, 2022, 10:18:25 am »

I suggest splitting the suggestion forum in 2 parts:

1: Fixes/improvements to existing things.

Like changing the military screen or changing how tombs work or making dragons grow up faster.

2: New content.

Like adding beavers or tattoos or pegasi dwarves can use as flying mounts.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]