Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 58

Author Topic: DF Eternal Suggestion Voting  (Read 454332 times)

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
Re: DF Eternal Suggestion Voting
« Reply #690 on: August 01, 2013, 01:25:07 am »

Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #691 on: August 01, 2013, 04:57:55 am »

After going through most of the list, it feels like it is too cluttered and messy to matter anymore. I suggest:
 * "reddit style" up vote/neutral/downvote with unlimited amount of items you can vote on.
 * Sections/Labels:
   - Major overhaul (development-arc grade suggestions like farming overhaul, takes months)
   - Minor change (fairly big change or improvemens, like standing production orders, takes weeks)
   - Trivial feature (basically, low hanging fruit and touch ups like death details view, takes at most days)
Mixing votes between trivial stuff and major is bad for both because it can not accuratelly measure what people would really like, especially if they have to choose between two.
 * Some sort of vetting or filtering on what kid of suggestion is put here to prevent wild ideas that even their own poster abandoned - at minimum, thread with few replies that agree is good start.
 * Ability to bring new ideas to more attention - new suggestion with no votes is doomed to be at botton of list which no-one reads.

I just went through the lot, and it was painful.  Short of a replacement system, I'd suggest deleting every suggestion that isn't going to happen, everything with less than three votes, and everything that hasn't gotten a new vote since 0.34.11

I have made subreddit thing: http://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress_esv

1) Post links to suggestion threads in this forum
2) Up/Down vote suggestions.
3) Profit from system where anyone can vote on as many items as possible and cast negative votes too.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: September 02, 2013, 09:49:08 am »

This is a bad idea for multiple reasons, starting from fact that it is trivial to create multiple accounts on Reddit (e-mail verification is not required).
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #693 on: December 14, 2013, 02:12:50 am »

After going through most of the list, it feels like it is too cluttered and messy to matter anymore. I suggest:
 * "reddit style" up vote/neutral/downvote with unlimited amount of items you can vote on.
 * Sections/Labels:
   - Major overhaul (development-arc grade suggestions like farming overhaul, takes months)
   - Minor change (fairly big change or improvemens, like standing production orders, takes weeks)
   - Trivial feature (basically, low hanging fruit and touch ups like death details view, takes at most days)
Mixing votes between trivial stuff and major is bad for both because it can not accuratelly measure what people would really like, especially if they have to choose between two.
 * Some sort of vetting or filtering on what kid of suggestion is put here to prevent wild ideas that even their own poster abandoned - at minimum, thread with few replies that agree is good start.
 * Ability to bring new ideas to more attention - new suggestion with no votes is doomed to be at botton of list which no-one reads.

I just went through the lot, and it was painful.  Short of a replacement system, I'd suggest deleting every suggestion that isn't going to happen, everything with less than three votes, and everything that hasn't gotten a new vote since 0.34.11
Agreed.

But honestly, I think what would work better is to basically autoclear out the votes after a period.

If somebody doesn't go in say, once a year to renew their votes, then they're deleted from the system. Sounds good?
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Chaos17

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: February 18, 2014, 04:35:28 pm »

Just tried to vote and indeed I prefer this idea

I like the deph of the game but some suggestions aren't fun to manage in the long run if you can't automated them after configuration.
I'm not asking that everything should be automated, no.
But withtout a propoer UI in can be painful to manage for example squads.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: March 08, 2014, 12:57:07 am »

This poll is a great idea. The only issue I can see there really being with it is that there are a lot of suggestions that overlap to the point that they are essentially the same suggestion. For instance I saw at least 3 popular suggestions that basically boiled down to improving the UI thus I had trouble deciding exactly where to put my vote for that. The one other thing to keep in mind when reading the results is that this is a poll taken of the most hardcore and dedicated of the fan base, the people who are actually active members of the DF community thus it is not necessarily very indicative of the more average and less obsessed players out there who make up the bulk of the player base. The UI although still an irritation to many veteran players is nowhere near as horrible an experience as it was when we all first had to learn it and thus people have been playing for years are far less likely to rank fixing it as highly as a new or more average player. It has been one of the primary reasons I have heard over and over again from friends I have shown this game to for them not being able to get into DF despite liking the idea of the game itself.

Anyway, I was just using the UI as a personal example of why I think some topics may get more or less votes than one might think at first glance rather than trying to start a UI debate about that here in the polling thread where it really doesn't belong.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 12:59:05 am by Melting Sky »

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: July 11, 2014, 02:30:19 pm »

I suppose that since a new versions is out, some of these have been finished (Specifically "Retire a fortress", although I also see some really old ones like "Doctors/Hospitals" and "Conveyances").
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Adrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: July 11, 2014, 02:58:09 pm »

My vote goes to just resetting the whole thing.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: July 11, 2014, 03:40:42 pm »

I gotta agree with you on that, a lot of the suggestions are no longer really applicable/as high a priority.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: July 11, 2014, 03:47:31 pm »

The ones I control (i.e. created) that are still in the top-20 are all still valid and I don't think any/much progress has been made on them.
(I have been clearing out votes on things I consider to have been "worked on recently" so other things can float to the top)

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: July 11, 2014, 03:57:22 pm »

The ones I control (i.e. created) that are still in the top-20 are all still valid and I don't think any/much progress has been made on them.
(I have been clearing out votes on things I consider to have been "worked on recently" so other things can float to the top)

There is a lot of flak still in the lower areas, and it's just good to clear out stuff like that every once and awhile.  Just a quick cleansing and then an announcement to vote would do wonders I think.

Edit:  At the very least, nuking all the suggestions with lower then 10 votes would probably be a good idea.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 04:13:32 pm by Puzzlemaker »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: July 11, 2014, 04:10:48 pm »

and then an announcement to vote would do wonders I think.

That is a lot harder than you'd think.

Also, I don't own most of them.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: July 11, 2014, 04:19:32 pm »

and then an announcement to vote would do wonders I think.

That is a lot harder than you'd think.

Also, I don't own most of them.

I was thinking more if Toady nuked a lot/most of/all of them and then told people in the devlog to go vote on the eternal suggestions.

Adrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: July 11, 2014, 04:47:09 pm »

One of the things i'd like to see happen to the ESV list is that all entries with 0 votes get expunged automatically.
Because not having any votes means that not even their creator finds them important anymore.

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
  • The groboclones are looking for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: July 11, 2014, 07:16:58 pm »

Agreed.  I'd be happy to delete the ones I own but I think a full reset would be best.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 58