Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

DF Eternal Suggestion Voting

<< < (146/173) > >>

dorf:
UPDATED on 07/28/2014.

Top three ranked options from the poll are:
Purge: unwanted/unnecessary suggestions are removed
Consolidate: similar suggestions are merged into a single suggestion, huge suggestions are split into multiple suggestions
Purge Zero: remove only suggestions with zero votes or are below a threshold

Greendogo:
Hey Toady, I had an idea to improve the democratization of the Eternal Suggestion Voting.  You could reset the votes of all of the suggestions to zero and then randomly assign around ten to twenty Eternal Suggestions that each forum member is allowed to vote on, with a good distribution so no Suggestion has more or less that about the average number of randomly assigned forum members.

Lock forum members into their ten or so suggestions for about a week or two, post on the Blog about it, so by the end everyone has a chance to see what's going on and vote on their favorites from their personal assignment of suggestions (you could even use a ranked vote, since everyone has such a small number of things to vote on).  Also, don't show them how many votes each suggestion has just yet, to prevent follower-bias.

Then at the end of the time limit/when a good distribution of suggestion pools have been voted on, unlock it, and eliminate any suggestions with zero votes (or those ranked consistently near the bottom, if a ranked ballot is used).

This will give a lot of suggestions visibility that might be currently buried by older more powerful and well connected suggestions and revert to the current system, saving the votes accrued in the process.

PeridexisErrant:

--- Quote from: Jiri Petru on February 04, 2011, 09:26:01 pm ---As long as the list isn't wiped clean, there's no chance of any significant change in it. It should be named "the 2009 voting, eternally preserved."

--- End quote ---

Three and a half years later, this is still true.  My vote is still to start with a completely fresh slate; new suggestions for a new version.  Anything worth recreating *will* be recreated, no worries on that front. 

Dame de la Licorne:
Hiya,

I did a quick scan through the first few pages of the list (checking out those suggestions that have 100+ votes), and this is what I noticed (numbers are current rankings, but shouldn't change much):
#3 - Workshop material selection -> we can do this with dedicated stockpiles now, should be cleared of votes
#9 - Multithreading support -> will NEVER happen (from ToadyOne himself), should be cleared with an appropriate note telling people not to vote for it
#10 - Adventure Mode Skills -> most of the listed ones have been implemented, with more listed on the development page, so can probably be cleared
#23 - Retire a fortress -> implemented, needs to be closed and labeled as such

There are quite a few more suggestions below the 100-vote cut-off that I used which also need to be cleared, but for the most part they have less than 10, since they were apparently already cleared at some point.  Clearing the four I've singled out would already allow a number of folks to reallocate at least one of their votes to something else (and allow 3 suggestions to move into the top 10, possibly the following: Farming Improvements, Realistic Mining and Guilds).

So, I'm in favor of someone (I hesitate to name Toady or Threetoe, given that they have so much else to do, though they would have the best idea for what to remove as [DONE] and have the least likelihood of spawning arguments) going through the list with each major release and marking items as either "implemented" or "worked on" and clearing the votes from those specifically, but not the others.  If there is an announcement (e.g. on the devlog), then players could then go back and re-evaluate/re-assign their votes accordingly.  I think that was originally the intent behind the eternal voting system.

-Dame de la Licorne

Adrian:

--- Quote from: Dame de la Licorne on August 16, 2014, 05:38:32 am ---#3 - Workshop material selection -> we can do this with dedicated stockpiles now, should be cleared of votes
--- End quote ---
I disagree.
Because while dedicated stockpiles definitely help with material selection, they also screw up job orders.
For example: If you que up 10 iron battleaxes to be made through the manager, those 10 axe orders get divided over all forges. Including ones that have not been given access to a stockpile containing iron bars. This leads to manager orders getting only partially done and never actually completing, and job cancellation spam when the weaponsmiths can't find any iron for that workshop.

Dedicated stockpiles are not a panacea for material selection, so i think the ESV entry for Workshop material selection is still valid.

Also, has the discussion on wiping the list ended? Because i still think it's necessary to do. What with so much having changed since it's conception.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version