Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 58

Author Topic: DF Eternal Suggestion Voting  (Read 454642 times)

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
Re: DF Eternal Suggestion Voting
« Reply #75 on: September 17, 2008, 08:28:33 pm »

Could their be a display of the rank order the items are in aka 1st Place, 2nd Place...., their already sorted by votes so its just a matter of putting a '??nd' next to everything.  I find it hard to tell if something is moving up or down in the ranks as you need to count from the top of the page.  If you want to get really fancy put in red and green up/down arrows which show for a period of time after a change in rank.

P.S.  I'm noticing that more concrete and utilitarian items seem to be gaining and even surpassing some of the more feature based suggestions, for example Hauling has moved ahead of Underground Diversity, Religions have dropped substantially.  I think this is good and reflects the true will of the fan base, the feature additions tend to be desired most heavily by the hard-core crowd who were naturally the first to vote, more casual players (these are relative terms mind you) are more interested in making the games controls, Interface and basic playability better.  I'm in that camp as well so perhapse I'm a bit biased in my interpretation but overall I'm still very pleased.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 08:30:38 pm by Impaler[WrG] »
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 17, 2008, 08:39:40 pm »

It's all good as long as new features continue to be added along with with the improvements to old gameplay mechanics and interfaces.

My only concern is that even if Toady implements some of the most voted suggestions they won't be removed because some people will insist on improving them more. Specially if the original suggestion was too vague to begin with. See for example the Improved Hauling one: There are many ways Toady could try to satisfy this one but I suspect people will never be satisfied by any hauling solution.

Note: I know I voted for that one too. But I'll be satisfied with any improvement over dwarves carrying one single seed at a time to plant.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 08:42:22 pm by Zemat »
You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 17, 2008, 09:09:18 pm »

The more I read this thread, and the more I think about it, the more I want Toady to remove the entries when he thinks they're done.

Wiping it and having it shoot right back up to the top tells him more than just leaving all those old votes -- it tells him there's still demand for it.  Leaving it at the top doesn't tell him anything.

I'm noticing that more concrete and utilitarian items seem to be gaining and even surpassing some of the more feature based suggestions....I think this is good and reflects the true will of the fan base....I'm in that camp as well so perhaps I'm a bit biased in my interpretation but overall I'm still very pleased.

Yep, sounds biased to me  ;). It might have something to do also with the continuous discussion by a minority against broad feature suggestions, or maybe my concessions to them in the form of plastering everything but "Don't vote for UD" on the thread, entry, and in my postings. 

People should vote for what they want, should update their votes frequently, and not try to "win". We don't need to factionalize (is that a word?) the community.

I'm just picking on you Impaler, because you had the best post to quote from. You know from several threads I admire your creativity. I've even got two votes parked on small enhancements I want to see.

Actually what I am wondering about is this: Toady will implement the most popular suggestions in the upcoming months [lets say top 3] probably, but whats gonna happen after that? He will code in the next 3 most popular suggestions, or some suggestions will be ignored/postponed?

From his previous responses to the community I'm betting that at the same time he finishes a first quick pass at UD, he'll throw in one or two of the easier-to-do minor enhancements. Next wave of development will probably see some hauling improvements.

He's already got a full plate doing what he thinks the game needs, so I'd be willing to bet he'll frequently end up working towards a partial implementation of the really popular hard ones, and a few that when he reads them, he thinks "I know how to do that right now."

So time wise I'm guessing 60% Arc work, 25% big suggestions, 15% small suggestions. the priority has to be on arc work.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 17, 2008, 10:06:32 pm »

My only concern is that even if Toady implements some of the most voted suggestions they won't be removed because some people will insist on improving them more.

Of the ones I control, when the feature is implemented I will delete the vote, then re-create it with a note saying: "your votes are wasted here" and then periodically delete it again to keep those votes cleared (this is in an attempt to prevent other people from creating the vote and having votes attributed to it).

Might be unnecessary, as Toady holds the same deletionary power over ALL the vote topics.

jellyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 18, 2008, 03:12:00 am »

Any chance of adding 'order more than 4 items' to the 'Ability to buy sand/water/rough gems from merchants' suggestion?

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 18, 2008, 10:31:15 am »

Any chance of adding 'order more than 4 items' to the 'Ability to buy sand/water/rough gems from merchants' suggestion?
What do you mean by "order more than 4 items"?  The trade agreement screen only has 5 values, and you could call them 0 through 4, but I'm pretty sure that they do not correspond to the number of items requested.  Rather, I'm reasonably confident that they refer to your demand, with the highest setting merely indicating an abstract notion of "high demand", and the lowest setting indicating "no special demand".  I almost always get more than just four items when I set something to the highest level in the trade agreement.

Xether

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 18, 2008, 11:17:00 am »

< oldest lurker

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 18, 2008, 12:18:21 pm »

Actually what I am wondering about is this: Toady will implement the most popular suggestions in the upcoming months [lets say top 3] probably, but whats gonna happen after that? He will code in the next 3 most popular suggestions, or some suggestions will be ignored/postponed?

From his previous responses to the community I'm betting that at the same time he finishes a first quick pass at UD, he'll throw in one or two of the easier-to-do minor enhancements. Next wave of development will probably see some hauling improvements.

He's already got a full plate doing what he thinks the game needs, so I'd be willing to bet he'll frequently end up working towards a partial implementation of the really popular hard ones, and a few that when he reads them, he thinks "I know how to do that right now."

So time wise I'm guessing 60% Arc work, 25% big suggestions, 15% small suggestions. the priority has to be on arc work.

Yeah Othob, this sounds good indeed. Arc work should be top priority always. I like your numbers also, 60% [Arc work] - 40% [Implementing suggested features] sounds reasonable enough.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 18, 2008, 07:54:46 pm »

Agreed, 60% arc, 40% suggestions
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 18, 2008, 08:10:33 pm »

I think it is more likely that Toady will work on the Arc things he has planned.  Then during the days where he reads though suggestions he will focus more on the ones that show strong votes.  While reading though it he would take notes and turn the thoughts he has into Cores and Bloats.

Small, easy things will probably be done as time permits in each release.  The major changes will be appearing in the Cores and Bloats, and then done when an Arc requires them.

Of course that is all just a guess on my part.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Necro

• Bay Watcher
  • ...trunk with her iron battlaxe, bruising the fat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 19, 2008, 09:51:56 am »

Voted. The cave diversity will make DF more awesome than the wheel.

Chrispy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 19, 2008, 11:54:57 am »

Would there be a way to vote *without* seeing who else has voted, and randomizing the order of the entries as well?
Quote from: Toady
"This suggestion is very broad."
≡«+large yellow diamond+»≡
On the item is an exceptionally designed image of a diamond in yellow diamond.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 19, 2008, 02:11:18 pm »

Seeing who's voted is one of the prime reasons Toady is letting this happen.  He wants to be able to verify each and every user who's voted to make sure no one's registering accounts and voting multiple times.

But yeah, something to randomize what suggestions are seen would be nice.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 19, 2008, 03:58:39 pm »

Would there be a way to vote *without* seeing who else has voted, and randomizing the order of the entries as well?

You think that some players are being influenced because of the current voting system? [IE. some escaped lunatic will vote for the most popular suggestions for example?] Well in some extreme cases this might be true, however I doubt that this should be a problem at all...

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 20, 2008, 12:25:38 am »

Maybe a randomization if you have never voted, but I like to check to see how the vote is going from time to time. I really don't want to have to read/scan the entire list to see if Guilds has gone up or down.

I also like to peruse the lower end from time to time to see if there are any I want to support. If they were random, I'd have to look at each and every entry, instead of just scrolling to the bottom.

Overall, I think a random list would be an interface nightmare, but perhaps an initial blind poll (no names/#s) might help. In that one instance, random would be good as well.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 58