Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 58

Author Topic: DF Eternal Suggestion Voting  (Read 454029 times)

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
Re: DF Eternal Suggestion Voting
« Reply #765 on: April 24, 2015, 07:12:49 pm »

I'm not opposed to setting up a new/improved page, if that's what's being discussed. It could be hosted on the wiki (although I'd have to consult Locriani about creating a new table/database for it). Of course, that would require a wiki account instead of a forum account, but the wiki's deploy process has the advantage of being more structured.

If you want to set that up, that would be awesome.

Absolutely, this would be fantastic.  Wikis are a lot more resilient regarding people vanishing from the fanbase, and we could certainty stand to start over.

Also it might convince a lot of people to get an account on the wiki, which can only be good!
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Adrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: May 12, 2015, 05:54:26 pm »

While it'd be much more structured, and resilient against people disappearing, it's yet another account to manage.

I, for one, am already managing a dozen accounts that periodically need a new password and email verification. And that's just the informal, forum, and video game stuff.
The formal stuff for subscriptions, taxes, insurance, government and work would probably add another dozen to the list.
"Well it's just the one", people used to say to me. And now i've got two dozen logins to manage.

Having a wiki account is primarily useful for people planning on doing heavy editing work.
For anyone who just wants to vote on the ESV entries, the requirement of having a wiki account is just another hoop to jump through.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: May 12, 2015, 06:55:22 pm »

It would be more structured, more resilient, and (crucially) not completely dead and outdated.

As to the other stuff, (a) lastpass or similar; (b) many players don't have a Bay12 forums account, so this changes instead of adding to the requirement.
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: May 21, 2015, 03:16:24 pm »

I, for one, would at least like to see suggestions that have already been implemented removed. Seeing things with hundreds of votes that have in fact been added makes it kind of discouraging to add to the voting list - your suggestion will most likely skulk at the bottom of the list an appear unpopular solely because suggestions that don't need to be on the list anymore snowballed in the past.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: May 21, 2015, 04:19:11 pm »

I, for one, would at least like to see suggestions that have already been implemented removed. Seeing things with hundreds of votes that have in fact been added makes it kind of discouraging to add to the voting list - your suggestion will most likely skulk at the bottom of the list an appear unpopular solely because suggestions that don't need to be on the list anymore snowballed in the past.

I tried to do that, but I control very few entries.  Just most of the popular ones at the time of the system's creation.

If you scroll to the bottom, all the ones marked "do not vote" are ones that I own and have cleared when they were implemented.

Devin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: May 24, 2015, 11:41:00 am »

While it'd be much more structured, and resilient against people disappearing, it's yet another account to manage.

I, for one, am already managing a dozen accounts that periodically need a new password and email verification. And that's just the informal, forum, and video game stuff.
The formal stuff for subscriptions, taxes, insurance, government and work would probably add another dozen to the list.
"Well it's just the one", people used to say to me. And now i've got two dozen logins to manage.

Having a wiki account is primarily useful for people planning on doing heavy editing work.
For anyone who just wants to vote on the ESV entries, the requirement of having a wiki account is just another hoop to jump through.

I recommend having a common username/login you use for your many unimportant website/wiki/etc logins.  It's a security risk, but they're the unimportant things, so who cares?

Adrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: May 25, 2015, 06:34:22 am »

I recommend having a common username/login you use for your many unimportant website/wiki/etc logins.  It's a security risk, but they're the unimportant things, so who cares?
I took a look at Peridexis' suggestion of using lastpass. After looking around a bit i settled on Keepass.
I spent about two hours reading documentation and setting stuff up, but now i can log into the Dwarf Forums by hitting Ctrl+Alt+a on the index.
I can churn out randomized passwords of variable length and complexity ad nauseam, and the whole database is locked up behind a key file which i keep on an SD card stuck on my person and a master key which is the only thing i need to remember.

No longer being required to remember all of my login-password combinations is a lifesaver. Cognitively, anyways.

With that said i'm no longer opposed to having a second ESV list on the wiki. Though i would still prefer to keep the one on the forums, simply because Tarn and Zach need to have master read/write privileges.
(Alternatively, they could be given administrator privileges on the wiki)

TBeholder

• Bay Watcher
  • the shade of something you remembered to forget
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: December 13, 2015, 07:13:54 am »

There may be a more flexible way for Workshop Material Selection, if slightly roundabout.
Nafferton said: “See me chase that boy till he drops!” I said: “You can’t get your knife into an Assistant Commissioner.” Nafferton told me that I did not understand the administration of the Province.
- "Pig"

Zarathustra30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: January 08, 2016, 10:19:08 pm »

So, the link leads to a 404. I imagine it has something to do with the recent server migration.
How did we pass from inns with merry songs and happy music to temples of doom and medieval torture with so much easiness and eagerness??

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: January 08, 2016, 11:18:28 pm »

DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

vomov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: February 16, 2016, 04:21:09 am »

If the person that posted a suggestion seems to be gone for a significant period of time and it needs to be edited or deleted, message me as I have the power to edit/delete any suggestion.  I don't anticipate this being a burden on me, but if it becomes a burden, we can figure out how to assign some maintainers to the page.

Could somebody please ask Toady to bestow moderator privileges onto them, so we can make the suggestion voting work again? We've got 433 suggestions, of which I guess half are duplicates, and a significant fraction is implemented already. Rebooting the suggestion voting has been suggested, but this has not come off the ground, it seems.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: March 26, 2016, 01:36:49 pm »

Why is this still a thing? The voter has likely been FUBAR for ages.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

vomov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: March 27, 2016, 06:41:35 am »

Why is this still a thing? The voter has likely been FUBAR for ages.
Because only Toady has administrator privileges, and therefore he is the only one who can remove the suggestions.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: March 29, 2016, 10:21:22 am »

is this a place I can say a small suggestion? you know how in rumors when you want to tell people you killed that Cyclops, you have to go try to find it in all that "I was attacked by a bunny" stuff? but in ask for directions you can just type in the Cyclops name and come to the top of the list. so just add names as keywords to the I slew ____ stuff
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: March 29, 2016, 10:32:05 am »

Because only Toady has administrator privileges, and therefore he is the only one who can remove the suggestions.

Sadly I suspected that, yeah. ._.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 58