Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 58

Author Topic: DF Eternal Suggestion Voting  (Read 454235 times)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: DF Eternal Suggestion Voting
« Reply #795 on: June 02, 2016, 09:38:28 pm »

is there some sort of new link? old one 404'd
Check just a few posts above yours.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: June 02, 2016, 10:13:28 pm »

Quoting for visibility now that the thread has moved to a new page.

The link in the first post doesn't work, 404 Not Found.
For those who don't know, the real one is: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/eternal_voting.php

Grey45

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: June 29, 2016, 12:03:08 pm »

Why dwarf fortress still single-threading game? Single core performance stop increase 5 years ago, and game plan to be more and more heavy.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: June 29, 2016, 01:01:01 pm »

Why dwarf fortress still single-threading game? Single core performance stop increase 5 years ago, and game plan to be more and more heavy.
Basically because is a hell to change a code so far down the road to multi-threading. And since Toady works alone it would mean months if not years of code updating only, no new features, which kind of keep the game (and donations) going and would mean in the end an stop altogether for the game. At least that's what I speculate. Perhaps he don't know how to do it, or simply don't want to do it at this moment or never.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Grey45

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: June 29, 2016, 01:41:07 pm »

Basically because is a hell to change a code so far down the road to multi-threading. And since Toady works alone it would mean months if not years of code updating only, no new features, which kind of keep the game (and donations) going and would mean in the end an stop altogether for the game. At least that's what I speculate. Perhaps he don't know how to do it, or simply don't want to do it at this moment or never.
I dont think so. Perhaps i not work in such big projects, and dont know anything.
By the way, why Toady work alone? Dont he want to brign dw to opensource?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: June 29, 2016, 02:03:29 pm »

I dont think so. Perhaps i not work in such big projects, and dont know anything.
By the way, why Toady work alone? Dont he want to brign dw to opensource?

Go see the discussion for the latest version: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158868.0

Just getting 64-bit compiling is proving to be a nuisance, even to Toady himself. And while I do wish he'd open it up to Github so I'd have something worth doing on Github, I can understand his reasoning for not doing so yet.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: August 16, 2016, 10:15:49 pm »

Is the DF Eternal Suggestion Voting page still in use?

I noticed that "Retire a fortress" is a voting option, but that feature was added back in v0.40.01. "Center on Announcement" was added in v0.31.01.

It'd be kind of cool to see this list with notes added that indicate when those features were added.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: August 17, 2016, 12:31:46 am »

Is the DF Eternal Suggestion Voting page still in use?

It's been dead since 2009, and the ~hundred posts above this are largely just discussing that  :-\
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: August 17, 2016, 08:42:39 am »

And for some reason beyond comprehension it's not removed, replaced, updated.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: August 17, 2016, 10:32:38 am »

And for some reason beyond comprehension it's not removed, replaced, updated.

That's because it is eternal. Right there in the name. ;)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: August 17, 2016, 11:24:37 am »

And thus the thread will go forever unloved and forgotten, much like giant desert scorpions and bugfix updates.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: August 19, 2016, 07:40:35 am »

As intended.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: August 19, 2016, 09:57:46 am »

Why not use it though? I don't see what's wrong with the concept.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: August 19, 2016, 10:53:49 am »

The issue is that there are a lot of old suggestions, and not many new suggestions or votes.

I would like to point out that it appears that someone (maybe Toady) has purged a few implemented suggestions, such as "Job priorities" and "Standing production orders". There isn't much information about when that happened, but I'm fairly certain it wasn't in 2009.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: August 19, 2016, 02:07:09 pm »

I would like to point out that it appears that someone (maybe Toady) has purged a few implemented suggestions, such as "Job priorities" and "Standing production orders". There isn't much information about when that happened, but I'm fairly certain it wasn't in 2009.

That was me.
When the system first got introduced I was able to go in and create every single suggestion that had been in the recent forum-based winnowing polls at the time.
I took the stance that I would be able to manage those very popular suggestions such that when they got worked on, I could purge the votes, mark them as "complete for now" and get those people to reassign their votes elsewhere.

I also own (current) #2, 3, 5, 9, 12, 13, 15, 42, 46, 47, 51, 74, 91, 94, 121, 122, 187, 193, 212, and 223.

I haven't been keeping up with the devlog (to the point at which I went in about a year ago to figure out where I left off and gave up), so I don't know the status of the game right now, but I'd be happy to go in and clear the votes from those if they've been worked on recently (or remove the "don't vote" 'flag' from any of the others).
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 58