Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 58

Author Topic: DF Eternal Suggestion Voting  (Read 448661 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
DF Eternal Suggestion Voting
« on: September 13, 2008, 04:43:25 pm »

DF Eternal Suggestion Voting

zagibu was heroic enough to provide the above php script.  You can add new suggestions and vote for your favorite three.  You can change your votes at any time.  You can also edit or delete suggestions that you add.  There are bound to be questions about merges, splits, which suggestions/categories are valid, what to do when a suggestions is completed, whether or not you agree a suggestion is completed and all that sort of thing, which is what this thread is for.  However, when you add a suggestion, please link it to a forum thread if possible, so that the really particular discussions can be carried out over there.

If there's a strong consensus on something, message me and I can post some rules here.  If the person that posted a suggestion seems to be gone for a significant period of time and it needs to be edited or deleted, message me as I have the power to edit/delete any suggestion.  I don't anticipate this being a burden on me, but if it becomes a burden, we can figure out how to assign some maintainers to the page.

How you guys use the new page is up to you.  I'm open to suggestions on how to improve it, but since I don't know php and zagibu is a heroic and busy person, things will probably progress slowly.  I think it should work out, but if you have concerns about the whole idea, please air them here promptly.  The tabulation process is very hard on the people that have volunteered to do it manually in the past, so I'd like to try this partially-automated solution.

To avoid vote account spamming, you need to have posted enough to exit Escaped Lunatic status (8 posts).  I'm not sure if I'll stick with that or not, but it's the way things currently work.  I know some people will probably be more interested in voting than chatting on the forums, but safeguards are also likely needed to avoid corrupting the process.  I can view the status of the voters now, so everybody with a forum account can now vote.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 05:37:00 pm by Toady One »
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF Eternal Suggestion Voting
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 04:49:40 pm »

Fantastic.  I'll start filling in the various suggestions from the Top 10 list. :)

*Cough* zagibu, you need to sterilize your database inputs, it won't take an apostrophe in "doesn't."
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 04:58:52 pm by Draco18s »

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 05:04:40 pm »

zagibu has created Neatoforumtool, a native platinum script.
zagibu has become a legendary forum crafter.

edit: Any way I can claim admin rights for the Guilds suggestion?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 05:09:34 pm by Othob Rithol »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 05:14:43 pm »

edit: Any way I can claim admin rights for the Guilds suggestion?

I'd have to delete my entry.  There's no real need though, all admin vs. user rights over entries are who's allowed to edit the description.

If anyone would like to make my descriptions better (just about everything on there at the moment was written by me) just let me know, I can either change it or do a "transfer" (you make a new one, I delete the old).

Oh, and I finished adding everything with 3+ votes (and any 2 vote ones that sounded decent, which was most of them) to the list.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 05:16:31 pm »

Awesome!  8)

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 05:57:44 pm »

Agreed this is a fine official version of the suggestion polls
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 06:07:12 pm »

Very nice

Wahnsinniger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 07:13:24 pm »

Toady, every time you come up with another tool or feature that supports your player base, it makes me feel that much more guilty for not having donated yet.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 07:14:30 pm »

He he, I didn't come up with this one so you shouldn't feel so bad.  Send zagibu some money.

Tyrving

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Poster/Dabbling Troll
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 07:22:11 pm »

Hmm. It seems to have counted my vote for 'Designate Safe Area' as three votes. Bug, perhaps?

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 07:45:11 pm »

Probably, yes. Unfortunately, I'm not a professional webprogrammer, so there might be a lot of bugs. I have already sent in a fix for the apostrophe-problem, which was caused because Toady and I use different versions of MySQL (unfortunately, I can't change my version, it's a crappy webprovider). This situation also makes debugging a bit difficult.

Just don't get too angry, if votes get lost from time to time, during the first week or so.

Now, concerning Tyrving's problem, this has also an origin in the version differences. Originally, I used subqueries to calculate the votes from the assigned users, but the MySQL version over here couldn't handle it. So I introduced a decoupled field, which is updated seperately at each votechange. Maybe the multi-user problematic is coming up now, and I have to use transactions. Not sure...

I have to think of something first that can improve the debugging situation.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2008, 07:51:04 pm »

I've put up the apostrophe fix.  There do seem to be lots of invisible supporters somehow.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 07:54:06 pm by Toady One »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2008, 08:03:33 pm »

Try cleaning all the votes without removing the suggestions (assuming you can).  That should remove any invisible votes, and if it doesn't those topics can be remade.

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2008, 08:11:58 pm »

Edit: Disregard, it's now showing up.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2008, 08:13:43 pm »

zagibu's patched up the invisible supporter problem (my fault), but the numbers will still be off for now.  The vote count seems to run up a little on its own, but all the supporters are being recorded properly.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 08:21:59 pm by Toady One »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 58