Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 58

Author Topic: DF Eternal Suggestion Voting  (Read 448639 times)

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
Re: DF Eternal Suggestion Voting
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2008, 08:30:07 pm »

zagibu:

Your version of mysql shouldn't matter, should it? (And where it does, why not dev locally on your own box with the same version as Toady has?)

This script can't be all that complex, and I'd think that using something more intelligent than raw MySQL fiddlery in PHP would be easy enough, and useful enough, to put in. Were I you, I'd look into PDO; it's in PHP5 core.
"There's vermin fish, which fisherdwarves catch, and animal fish, which catch fisherdwarves." - Flame11235

FuIru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2008, 09:38:23 pm »

DF Eternal Suggestion Voting

To avoid vote account spamming, you need to have posted enough to exit Escaped Lunatic status (8 posts).  I'm not sure if I'll stick with that or not, but it's the way things currently work.  I know some people will probably be more interested in voting than chatting on the forums, but safeguards are also likely needed to avoid corrupting the process.

Is there a way for us lunatics to at least view anything on that page? At least to see what it is all about without spamming posts to the forum for the 8-count? heh

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2008, 09:39:48 pm »

To avoid vote account spamming, you need to have posted enough to exit Escaped Lunatic status (8 posts).  I'm not sure if I'll stick with that or not, but it's the way things currently work.  I know some people will probably be more interested in voting than chatting on the forums, but safeguards are also likely needed to avoid corrupting the process.

Is there a way for us lunatics to at least view anything on that page? At least to see what it is all about without spamming posts to the forum for the 8-count? heh
Aww, just go ask some questions on the forums.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

FuIru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2008, 09:44:07 pm »

Aww, just go ask some questions on the forums.

Yah, but then I'd have to go search to be sure my question hasn't already been asked, and then that doesn't tell me if it's something already up on this site. :)

wee, 5!

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2008, 10:56:33 pm »

Post on the "-" thread in adventure mode forum.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2008, 11:43:29 pm »

HAHAHA I AM THIRD

Also, this rules. Best thing ever. Toady, can you delete anything because you're an admin? Because that's sweet because you can delete stuff after you do it.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2008, 12:07:58 am »

Yeah, I can delete stuff, but a lot of the things up there aren't finishable so much as they can be done up to the point that votes start to drift off of them.  I imagine some people will camp out on underground diversity forever no matter how much I do, he he he.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2008, 12:21:13 am »

Yeah, if you do more with them then they'll become less of a priority. All you have to do is improve them whenever they start rising to the top. That will keep people pretty happy.

Edit: BEHOLD
Support the Supavote.
Code: [Select]
[size=3][color=green]Support the [url=http://www.bay12games.com/forum/eternal_voting.php][b][u]Supavote[/u][/b][/url].[/color][/size]
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 12:25:11 am by penguinofhonor »

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2008, 12:40:41 am »

Yeah, I can delete stuff, but a lot of the things up there aren't finishable so much as they can be done up to the point that votes start to drift off of them.  I imagine some people will camp out on underground diversity forever no matter how much I do, he he he.

You have absolutely no idea ;) I'm gonna update a new category "implemented features" to put all the stuff that was done, and start taking suggestions for new stuff/changes to stuff etc.

but I did slap a big
Aspects of this suggestion have already been included in the Dev notes. Unless you are just rabid about UD (like I am) go back and cast a vote for something else that deserves the attention!

on the thread to try to dissuade campers. I'll add one to the poll entry if need be.

And when you say "Okay, I'm done with UD for the time being." I'll yank down the poll entry, let the thread simmer in the forums for a while, and reintroduce it as UD Pt. II when it has some actually new content.

So, no, it won't be sitting there hogging space for the next two years. But yes, you will never hear the end of it.

Jirou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2008, 04:26:49 am »

Guess us lurkers need to retire if we're going to use this

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2008, 05:38:39 am »

I am wondering why is that on the list at all [Underground diversity], since you are working on that part already... ::)

*edit*
Maybe I spoke too soon.. ;D

You have absolutely no idea ;) I'm gonna update a new category "implemented features" to put all the stuff that was done, and start taking suggestions for new stuff/changes to stuff etc.

WCG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That's interesting...
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2008, 07:43:24 am »

Great poll! One question: Can we change "Center on announcement" to also include some management of what is announced? Nothing too elaborate, but it would be really nice to select which stones get announced when discovered and which don't (for example).

I know I can add this as a separate suggestion, but announcement improvements sort of fit together, don't you think?

Bill

Great Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes metal for its screaming guitars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2008, 09:10:51 am »

Awesome work zagibu!

Now I need to become a Bay Watcher... Guess I need to find some more bugs to report. ;)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2008, 10:14:27 am »

I think it would be great to have 3 negative votes in addition to the positive ones.
In this way players would be able to say what they don't want to see in the game. For example: I don't want harder farming and will gladly vote against it.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2008, 10:27:48 am »

How you guys use the new page is up to you.  I'm open to suggestions on how to improve it, but since I don't know php and zagibu is a heroic and busy person, things will probably progress slowly. 

I know it shows the names of the votes but it could do with highlighting your own votes in some way. Either colourise the links to your own name or alter the background for those choices.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 58