Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: (LCS) Will the sun blow up first?  (Read 7590 times)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (LCS) Will the sun blow up first?
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2009, 01:53:43 pm »

You have to bad ass to win the game. Quite frankly you have to have a flexible strat and have a few of every profession.

You overstate the case. Once one has been playing the game for far too long, one can win handily with fairly rigid strategies. Personally, I don't remember the last time I won with a "typically violent" squad - I've been doing cowards, skulkers, pacifists, and e'er-do-wells the last few versions...

(This isn't meant to understate the challenge the game can provide at times, especially to a beginner. But at the same time, there are multiple paths to victory.)

Rezan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2009, 02:09:55 pm »

Winning without savegamescumming isn't really that easy, though. A lot can go wrong. But in the end, it doesn't matter whether you have "one" super dude, so you just need enough people. Spend enough time recruiting, and you'll win - doesn't matter what tactic you use.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2009, 05:54:04 pm »

LCS is a roguelikelike. To this effect, plan and consistently execute a strategy, and don't take undue risks. Yes, the RNG can screw up even the best-laid plans, but if you're not rash and know the game fairly well, it *is* easy to win without savescumming.

The major sticking point is being cautious. If that goes out the window, you're at the mercy of the RNG.

Ciarog

• Bay Watcher
  • Monkey Wrench Gangster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2009, 09:41:59 am »

Hmm... speaking of weapons, which one is the best? I use magnums (they hide under anything and have the best power of any handgun), but what does everyone else use?
Shotguns or AR-15s for safehouse defense, .44 Magnums for infiltrations and AK-47s or M-16s for assaults.

Shame they don't have any rifles in the game that fire .44 Magnum, this was one of the early advantages of that type of ammunition.
When the .22 pistols were in the game, I had always assumed that at one point, there might be a .22 rifle added to the game, seeing as the assault rifle clip name is Rifle/Aslt. Rifle Mag (plus, the SLA used .22 rifles for that assassination).
Didn't know that. Do you know what type?

M-1 Carbines or some modern derivative would be a nice addition to the game (also famously used by the SLA), though it ain't something I'd consider a priority.

Ciarog

• Bay Watcher
  • Monkey Wrench Gangster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2009, 09:46:57 am »

LCS is a roguelikelike. To this effect, plan and consistently execute a strategy, and don't take undue risks. Yes, the RNG can screw up even the best-laid plans, but if you're not rash and know the game fairly well, it *is* easy to win without savescumming.

The major sticking point is being cautious. If that goes out the window, you're at the mercy of the RNG.
Writing a journal seems to help me resist the temptation to save-scum, though not enough. My biggest problem with this type of game is low patience and short attention span, but maybe playing enough can help cure those problems.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2009, 04:50:48 pm »

I find myself keeping a low profile and doing actions that won't make my base get raided. Well, until I can get all my men mp5's and train on hte guys in the crack house.
Hello Hunam

ChemicalVengence

• Bay Watcher
  • No, seriously...
    • View Profile
    • ChemicalVengence NG account
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2009, 10:21:10 pm »

Hmm... speaking of weapons, which one is the best? I use magnums (they hide under anything and have the best power of any handgun), but what does everyone else use?
Shotguns or AR-15s for safehouse defense, .44 Magnums for infiltrations and AK-47s or M-16s for assaults.

Shame they don't have any rifles in the game that fire .44 Magnum, this was one of the early advantages of that type of ammunition.
When the .22 pistols were in the game, I had always assumed that at one point, there might be a .22 rifle added to the game, seeing as the assault rifle clip name is Rifle/Aslt. Rifle Mag (plus, the SLA used .22 rifles for that assassination).
Didn't know that. Do you know what type?

M-1 Carbines or some modern derivative would be a nice addition to the game (also famously used by the SLA), though it ain't something I'd consider a priority.
I tried googling it, but I think I saw it in a video somewhere. Haven't seen anything about what type of rifle they used :-\. Also, yeah they used illegally modded M1 Carbine's that could fully automatic burst and a BAR. They seemed to like WWII weapons, and their modifications to the weapons beat the AR-15's and AR-180's the cops had, which were only semi-auto.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2009, 02:53:56 pm »

I find myself keeping a low profile and doing actions that won't make my base get raided. Well, until I can get all my men mp5's and train on hte guys in the crack house.
When I stuck to low key areas and kept a business front I found myself raided surprisingly little, even after quite a lot of assaults.  After a kidnapping I got a SWAT team though, so I kinda cheated (ended the process, reset it to the day before).

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2009, 11:01:13 pm »

Isn't the point of buisness fronts to make your safehouses not look like safe houses, thus decreasing chance of raids?
Hello Hunam

Rezan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2009, 03:31:29 am »

You don't work up as much heat when you have a business front; thus limiting the likelyhood of your being raided.

I'd still like to know whether you can actually LOSE heat (diminish) by moving around safehouses.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2009, 04:47:10 am »

As soon as I started kidnapping it went up a lot though.  I had them call for the release of some random person.  They weren't in my squad or on the (ever lengthening) sleeper list, so I have no idea who they wanted released.  Ah well.

By the way, am I right in thinking that having 4 sleeper judges guarentees that you case will be heard by a sleeper?  Do "liberal judges" and "hangin' judges" also count towards this total?

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2009, 09:30:58 am »

it is.  But you should be careful and try to control the "random factor"...

Lest your super skilled leader with lots of followers gets shot in the head in one silly encounter...

You also have to be methodic... Don't relax because the law is right behind you.
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2009, 04:24:47 am »

it is.  But you should be careful and try to control the "random factor"...

Lest your super skilled leader with lots of followers gets shot in the head in one silly encounter...

You also have to be methodic... Don't relax because the law is right behind you.
Hmm, what are the chances of being arrested when staying at the most expensive apartment?

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2009, 10:11:28 pm »

err, %0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001
Hello Hunam

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2009, 07:21:00 am »

err, %0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001
So should you just dump all your violent criminals there, and maybe keep your equipment in a cheap apartment that noone ever visits?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4