Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A few questions  (Read 1418 times)

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
A few questions
« on: September 14, 2008, 01:07:30 pm »

Ok, so a few questions.

I just kidnapped a radio personality, and am subjecting him to a variety of stuff, but in general, sleep deprivation, physical restraints and violent beatings. What is the best regimen to getting him to convert?

Secondly, the CSS has been running around, but they've been wiped out twice. I'm wondering if they're wiped out, do they keep on coming back or do I have to go in and do it myself?
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: A few questions
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 01:37:43 pm »

There's three CSS strongholds.  Keep looking.

I don't want to spoil interogation for you by saying what strategy to use.  Play around a bit and discover it for yourself.  But make sure you have a high skill interogator before going after radio personalities.  They're tough nuts to crack.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Liberal Elitist

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm more liberal than you are!
    • View Profile
    • The Liberal Crime Squad wiki
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 07:09:56 pm »

To master Interrogation, you must master the skills of Business, Religion, and Science, by kidnapping and interrogating the CEO of a Corporation, a conservative Priest, and an Eminent Scientist, and using the default interrogation settings (no violence or food/water/sleep deprivation, no psychedelic drugs, keeping them strapped down so they can't escape, and trying to convert them). These interrogations will last a very, very long time, but you will be learning skills from them, skills that are used by Conservatives to avoid being converted during interrogation. If your stats are too low, you will be unable to get your skill level as high as whomever you are interrogating, so the interrogation could go on forever. Anyway, if your stats prevent you from getting your skill in Business, Religion, or Science as high as your hostage, eventually you will need to resort to psychedelic drugs and just keep using those drugs until you have them converted. The more interrogations you do, the higher your Interrogation skill gets, and violent/harsh interrogations build up your Interrogation skill faster than ones where you play nice. Never kill a hostage, even by accident: it will lower your Heart by a point, which is very bad. If you really want to get rid of a hostage, send them alone on a suicide mission after you have successfully brainwashed them, and have them pick a fight with someone much more powerful, and keep fighting on-site until they are dead. Never let a hostage or anyone else increase your Wisdom: to protect against this, back up the save.dat file regularly. If your Wisdom gets higher than your Heart, you are no longer loyal to the Liberal cause, and are likely to turn traitor if the police ever get you, or if you ever get into a fight with someone who uses a debate attack. Your Interrogation skill is capped by (Intelligence+Charisma)/2, and it is also good to have high Persuasion skill, which is capped by Charisma, when you interrogate people. And having high Heart and low Wisdom is also quite important for someone who does Interrogation (unless you actually want to kill the hostage for some strange reason, in which case you want someone with low Heart and high Wisdom to do the deed). If you made good choices at the questions at the beginning, your founder should be the best person for doing interrogations. Intelligence, Charisma, and Persuasion are also quite useful in case the interrogator is ever arrested and put on trial and you choose to defend yourself, along with another skill: Law, which is best learned from Judges (Liberal Judge or Hangin' Judge, either one works). Of course, Law is not a skill you can learn through interrogation. You can only learn Interrogation, Business, Religion, and Science through interrogation. Once you become good at interrogation, you can easily make sleepers out of pretty much anyone in version 3.15.1. It was much harder in 3.12.2 (I didn't play any of the versions in between).
The Liberal Crime Squad wiki is your friend.

Quote from: Lielac
Edit: Figured it out via a little bit of trial and error and oH MY GOD WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT THE HECK IS IT SPACEBALLS MUSIC? WHATEVER IT IS IT IS MAGICAL

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 08:42:26 pm »

With the advice you gave, I went after a lawyer, and tried to sleeper him..
Problem, is my 7.14 integrator killed the guy after 4 days, though he did get a map out of him before he died.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 09:48:24 pm »

To avoid killing hostages, don't beat or drug them if they're weak, and give them food and water. Generally, try not to beat anyone for more than a day or two unless they're really tough and/or wise.

It can also help to have two interrogators; I used to use a brainwashed hanging judge with 1 Heart and 1 Wisdom to do horrible things to hostages for a few days, then my founder or a liberal judge would turn off the torture, and on the charm. Splitting duties like that gives you a chance to lower their Wisdom will not making them hate the interrogator that will eventually try to convert them.

Also, if you don't want excess converts, and don't want to send brainwashed victims on suicide missions, you can always get and keep an amoral thug to take over interrogations after kidnappings are discovered, and just have 'em beat and drug them without trying to convert them.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 09:58:52 pm by E. Albright »

muwahahaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 06:58:31 pm »

I may be completely wrong, but I've noticed that as the interrogator gets more juice, it increases their ability to persuade people. Like I said, that could just be me seeing things.

Thing is, I had my founder doing interrogations and got his skill up to about 6ish and he had about 180 juice. He was able to convert judges and lawyers completely in a max of 4 days with nothing but talking to them (he had 0.6 law skill so I doubt that was the cause). When I payed attention to the captive's stats it seemed like every successful talk was increasing heart by about 3-4 and reducing wisdom by about 4-5.

He then got winked at once by a radio personality during a fight and lost 100 juice (damn man, that's a bit extreme?). When he interrogated the next judge it took him about 9 days. When I watched the stats it seemed that every succesful time (which there were fewer of now) it was only increasing heart by 0-2 and reducing wisdom by 1-3.

As far as getting a good interrogator goes. Get a liberal that has base high heart/low wisdom. Then I would reccomend you pump them a bit (go to a clothing factory and release liberals with them, kill a few security guards as well) so they get even higher stats. Then capture a conservative and do nothing but talk to them (e.g give food/water, don't beat them up, don' restrain, no drugs). You won't sleeper them but as each day goes by your interrogator will get more experience. I would advise you NOT to get someone with science/business/religion or anyone who can 'turn the tables' on them for this though.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 04:25:57 am »

I may be completely wrong, but I've noticed that as the interrogator gets more juice, it increases their ability to persuade people. Like I said, that could just be me seeing things.

Actually, you nailed the current interrogation calculation.  High heart increases the chance of good interrogations, and any wisdom lowers it.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2008, 03:07:33 pm »

High heart low wisdom is without question ideal for interrogators, but it is not absolutely necessary. It is possible, but significantly more time consuming, for an interrogator with more wisdom than heart to convert someone. You are unlikely to get sleepers that way, however.

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 10:44:48 pm »

And the inherent risk of gaining wisdom and losing heart for your torture.