Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Metal Management  (Read 1394 times)

Taniec

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to save the day
    • View Profile
Metal Management
« on: January 23, 2009, 06:25:14 pm »

If I have magma at a starting location there is no problem. I could get all the metal I need through mining, trading, or through enemies. There is nothing holding me back. I like to play at different types of starting areas so magma is usually not present. When that's the case fuel pretty much screws me over. A mix of importing and making my own fuel does not keep up with the ammount of metal I have and leaves me with no trees. Don't even get me started with steel. After a siege with all the armor lying around is useless to me because melting it all would really not be worth it. Any tips for an efficient run metal industry?

Plank of Wood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Metal Management
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 06:34:52 pm »

Coke is the fuel of the gods. You just burn a few trees into charcoal, then use that to smelt the bitumous coal. You get lots of coke, and the dwarves use the coke you just smelted to make more coke.

Also, in seiges the narrow silk clothing is worth more than the entire fortress you own. Simply collect all the narrow goblin socks and sell them to the next human caravan for wood. Wood doesn't cost as much as charcoal, as far as I know, and metalcrafters, although they may look useful, are actualy not. Put them in the smelting industry or draft them.
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
They're like little bearded corals.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 06:48:31 pm »

I always start off with a nice load of 30 coal and make sure to order more coal from the dwarven caravans at 200% cost. They bring tons of it at that mark-up, and it's still only 6 per lump. Dirt cheap and useful. Wood's also dirt cheap, but not as good for fueling the forges.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 07:32:44 pm »

The ideal thing, of course, is to find a magma pipe. But that's hard to do if you're also looking for flux or sedimentary stone, which is often the case. You'll occasionally find a perfect site using the site finder, but you'll probably have to gen multiple worlds to manage it.

So I cheat. I consider it a rebellion against the fact that there should be way more coal around (Reference link). One of these days I'll have to mod it so it's either a mineral layer or shows up in clusters. But for now, I use Tweak to create magma and place magma workshops. There are a few other utilities out there that can do this also.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Justyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 09:47:42 pm »

The ideal thing, of course, is to find a magma pipe. But that's hard to do if you're also looking for flux or sedimentary stone, which is often the case. You'll occasionally find a perfect site using the site finder, but you'll probably have to gen multiple worlds to manage it.

So I cheat. I consider it a rebellion against the fact that there should be way more coal around (Reference link). One of these days I'll have to mod it so it's either a mineral layer or shows up in clusters. But for now, I use Tweak to create magma and place magma workshops. There are a few other utilities out there that can do this also.

Note that most of that is Lignite and Anthracite, with comparatively small amount of bituminous.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 11:56:43 pm »

Nonetheless! The game is more fun if there's enough coal.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.