Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Last Dwarves in the World?  (Read 12238 times)

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Last Dwarves in the World?
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2008, 09:46:56 pm »

According to a post in another recent thread, apparently when you become a duchy you've officially formed your own Mountainhome.  Forts can be founded by members or your other fort/civ and everything.  I haven't confirmed this, nor have I poked around the forums to see if anyone else can, but if it's true then you can rebuild dwarven civilization from the ashes and teach those elves a thing or two (for real when the Army Arc is finished).

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2008, 09:53:37 pm »

At least, 'till Toady starts making immigrants come from other real settlements instead of being spawned at the edge of the screen.

Take into consideration that some reclaims can have up to 80 dwarves, you can build up the civilization in a few short years through constantly reclaiming the same place. Of course, ALL the dwarves in the world would be confined to that area, but I'm sure going into adventure mode would let them travel around.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Greymane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2008, 03:29:23 am »

Y'know, rather strangely, it doesn't seem like the world actually works anymore.

I lost my very first fortress thanks pretty much entirely to a water-moving accident that drowned basically everyone except for two children and one adult, all male. That kinda of ended any chance of the dwarven race living on via this fort, so I abandoned and tried again.

As early as Summer in the first year though, this new fort got immigrants from the previously non-existant Whips of Omens. The civilization just spontaneously reappeared in the world along with them. I thought maybe it had to do with my having abandoned a fortress and the three survivors being left behind still counting as members of the Whips of Omens, thus meaning the civilization now truly existed again.

I tried regenerating the world from scratch, but I was still getting immigrants. Even using the saved version world I uploaded earlier got the same results. Very odd. Had my first immigrant-less fortress been some sort of fluke? Where the heck had all these new dwarves come from?

The first fort had existed for more than 12 years, long enough for the first two children to become adults, had a total value that was nearing half a million, and yet never did a single immigrant appear. Meanwhile, different forts in 'clean' versions of the exact same world would get them all the time. O_o

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2008, 04:17:47 am »

I can't start as a dwarven Adventurer, but I get 8 immigrants before fall.  This is truly a travesty.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Drunken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2008, 09:11:29 am »

Heres my impression of how it works. I have no evidence for this but it does explain whats happening.

1)If there are no dwarves at all in the world you cannot play dwarf mode
2)If a fortress is wiped out in worldgen the population can exist as nomads for some time.
3)If you start a fortress in a certain place it has 'access' to some of the civ locations on the map.
4)If you start in an area that has no contact with civ x you cannot trade with civ x, I assume this applies to immigrants as well

So it seems theres a wandering population of dwarves in this world and you can embark or reclaim from this population. If you are near enough or have roads to or whatever the rule is for the nomads you get immigrants from them. No one has mentioned trading with them so I assume nomads can't trade.

Please correct me if you know better, and don't assume I'm right if you don't but thats my explanation
A stopped clock is right for exactly two infinitessimal moments every day.
A working clock on the other hand is almost never ever exactly right.

Abyss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2008, 09:49:12 am »

Are you sure that there's no dwarves whatsoever? There could be one fortress off in the middle of a mountain range, with no route to the rest of the map. That could be what allows you to play the world, as there would be a dwarven civilization, just with no access to your fort most places. That might explain why some places have immigrants and others don't, unless you're at the exact same place as you were before.

Greymane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2008, 11:23:26 am »

Heres my impression of how it works. I have no evidence for this but it does explain whats happening.

1)If there are no dwarves at all in the world you cannot play dwarf mode
2)If a fortress is wiped out in worldgen the population can exist as nomads for some time.
3)If you start a fortress in a certain place it has 'access' to some of the civ locations on the map.
4)If you start in an area that has no contact with civ x you cannot trade with civ x, I assume this applies to immigrants as well

So it seems theres a wandering population of dwarves in this world and you can embark or reclaim from this population. If you are near enough or have roads to or whatever the rule is for the nomads you get immigrants from them. No one has mentioned trading with them so I assume nomads can't trade.

Please correct me if you know better, and don't assume I'm right if you don't but thats my explanation

That seems like it might be a good explanation, though I am not certain if there is any way to test or prove it. I do know that my last few fortresses were, if nothing else, considerably closer to the ruins of the mountain home and dark fortress where dwarves use to live, but that is about the only clear link I can see.

There is also a slight argument against it, stemming from the fact that absolutely none of the dwarves listed in Historical Figures are still alive. None seem to even have survived beyond the year 83, when the original mountain home was destroyed. I am not certain if Historical Figures does list each and every dwarf who ever lived or not, though I sort of assume it does since I've seen some histories that amount to nothing more than "Urist McNobody was born. He was born here. He lived here. Nothing happened his whole life. He died."

Are you sure that there's no dwarves whatsoever? There could be one fortress off in the middle of a mountain range, with no route to the rest of the map. That could be what allows you to play the world, as there would be a dwarven civilization, just with no access to your fort most places. That might explain why some places have immigrants and others don't, unless you're at the exact same place as you were before.

This one, at least, I can categorically state is not true. There are absolutely no dwarven fortresses left in the world. There was only ever one in it's entire history, Distantropes, and it was destroyed more than one-hundred years before the founding of the player-fortress. There are no others on any historical map or anywhere in the Site list.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2008, 12:25:09 pm »

I'm playing based of the world posted in this thread and i'm getting no migrants. I just finished making housing for the three couples and leader our of green glass. They have 9 kids. It's like the 4th year and my chief exports are dogs and quarry bush leaf/dwarven syrup roasts.

The elves (not Intricate Nut) brought a jaguar, a breeding pair of deer, a breeding pair of cows, a groundhog and two male raccoons so far. Last caravan had 6 elves.

No goblins sighted yet, but a number of kobolds have been spotted. Two got killed by my war dogs and one got sighted right underneath a black bear, several have been sighted and got away.

I have each of the seven main dwarves followed by 3 war dogs (they trained them but don't have them assigned.)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 12:27:20 pm by Neoskel »
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2008, 01:34:59 pm »

It at least used to be that if you embarked on an island in the middle of the ocean, you'd still get immigrants.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2008, 03:50:34 pm »

It at least used to be that if you embarked on an island in the middle of the ocean, you'd still get immigrants.

As long as there was land along a map edge, and it still works like that, as long as your civ of origin is still around. You'd still get migrants and caravans, but only from your civ. I'd like to think they traveled by ship and landed further down the beach.

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2008, 04:37:57 pm »

I started a game ages ago with no dwarf civs at all still existing and it let me play both fortress and adventurer mode. In adventurer I started in a human town, and in fortress I got no immigrants, dwarven caravan, or nobles of any kind. It was boring though so I wiped it and started a new world.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2008, 11:09:25 pm »

I started a game in the world listed in this thread, and I got immigrants before the first winter, but couldn't play in adventure mode either before or after I made the fort.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

worldspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2008, 11:24:27 am »

Would this also mean you don't have to deal with nobles at all?

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2008, 12:27:39 pm »

Would this also mean you don't have to deal with nobles at all?
Indeed this is true.

No nobles except appointed ones (and those guys take a long time in coming, depending on your population growth).

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2008, 01:50:38 pm »

Assuming that you have three breeding pairs at the outset and they marry in your second year... It should take eight years to get a sheriff, and seventeen for you to get a Mayor, about.

The time is slightly less since dwarven women tend to have children every third season, but the intial start-up time to get the dwarves to go from lovers to married means that it'll average just about the same. This also provides you have no baby-caps.

So say... seven years to get enough dwarves to get a sheriff, and fifteen for a mayor, or so.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 01:52:21 pm by Jamini »
Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5