Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Last Dwarves in the World?  (Read 12142 times)

Greymane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Last Dwarves in the World?
« on: September 14, 2008, 01:08:52 pm »

So, I started a new juts the other night, making a new world from scratch. When I went to start my fortress though, I discovered something somewhat surprising. No matter where I tried to make my fortress, there were no goblin civilizations near by. Not only this, but I also swiftly discovered that there was only ONE dwarven civilization in the entire world, the Whips of Omen, which itself appeared to have absolutely no holdings anywhere. Finding this strange, I exited out and dug into the Legends, where upon I discovered that there was a very good reason for that:  they’d both been wiped out.

Due to a rather sparse spawning of mountains in this world, there had only ever been one dwarven and one goblin civilization spawned, both situated extremely close to one another. The dwarven civilization, the Whips of Omen, had gone to war with and in time defeated the goblins. They seized the only dark fortress on the map, but almost ten years later had lost it after going to war again, this time with an elven nation, the Intricate Nut. Easily the scariest goddamn group of elves I’ve ever seen, history reports that they swarmed the mountain fortress of the Whips of Omen, loosing almost one hundred of their own people until they could finally crush the dwarven defenders under the weight of numbers. They ate the heroes who had died fighting them and slaughtered everyone else in the fortress, including the last of the royal family.

So, that is the world I embarked within. A world evidently without ANY goblins. In three years, I’ve killed plenty of skulking kobold scum, seen humans come to trade, and even bitterly traded with elves from the Intricate Nut (who, in a clear show of intimidation, included among the inventories of the merchants they sent, a barrel that displayed the image of elves and humans. The elves were slaughtering the humans). I’ve yet to see a goblin though. No snatchers or thieves or anything else.

However, I’ve also never seen a single other dwarf. It’s apparently turning out, in which my rag-tag band of seven may be the last of the dwarves. It’s been three years into this game and I have not seen one single immigrant. I have not seen one single dwarven caravan. Indeed, my dwarves supposed civilization, the Whips of Omen, isn’t even LISTED with the others in the civilization screen.

Has anyone else ever had something like this happen? I have to admit that it’s rather awesome, being the last and desperate few dwarves in the world. I really wish I could get into the Legends section again just to see if any other dwarves actually survived the fall of the first, last, and only mountain fortress before mine.

On a side note, thanks to making sure my dwarves have plenty of time to socialize and relax, the dwarven population of... well, the whole goddamn world evidently, has gone up from seven to nine. A boy and a girl, both from different parents. I’m really hoping they’ll marry when they grow up.

efraker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Last Dwarves in the World?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 01:16:43 pm »

A boy and a girl, both from different parents. I’m really hoping they’ll marry when they grow up.

What? But theres nothing more Dorfy than wincest!

socially_inept_butterfly

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes cows for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 01:17:06 pm »

That is actually pretty awesome.
I'm not sure if its possible, but if it is...is there any way you can get the seed for that world so others (*cough*me*cough*) can play it?
Urist Axebeard, Mayor, has banned the export of brains.

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 01:31:58 pm »

All Hail Uber Epic Super Win   :o

pure freakin awesomessessessessess'

side question ( im still very new to anything past 33c soooo.....) does the "-------" next to a civ mean they dont exist anymore?  cuz i have been thru about 10 worlds so far *read, had lots of fun losing* and all the goblins had that next to them.

I am way to lazy to go thru all the legends, uber win to you on that too, I just look at all the names and entries and my brain congeals into oatmeal, which is cool, cept I hate oatmeal......

GG
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 01:47:26 pm »

Adventure mode + Elven slaughter = Revenge.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Greymane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 02:20:02 pm »

So, I discovered just now that my desperate seven evidently still remember what was done to them by the Intricate Nut so many years ago. My craftsdwarf had been working hard sculpting crafts and decorating most of them with bone and shell from the ten billion turtles I'd brought along. Idly, I'd checked some over to see what he'd made and discovered:

Bastard elves! One of these days, the Whips of Omen's shall have our revenge! Just... y'know, not now. Cause there are about seven of us and a jillion of you.

I'm not sure if its possible, but if it is...is there any way you can get the seed for that world so others (*cough*me*cough*) can play it?

Oh, I'd love to!

Er... how do I go about doing that, though?

Khain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 02:52:42 pm »

thats immensly cool. You MUST repopulate the world o.O. I wonder if it would be possible to create an entire fortress filled with the spawn of those 7 refugees?
Khain is a dubious worshipper of Stozu Oxtrararstruck Baxstutspen

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 04:36:00 pm »

In the init.txt you can turn on some tag that shows the full history even in dwarf mode, so it would tell you who the elf and the dwarf are.

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 05:05:10 pm »

It's happened before, but it's fairly neat. You'll also never get any dwarven caravan, liasons, or nobles though, which kind of sucks.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 05:08:50 pm »

Bastard elves! One of these days, the Whips of Omen's shall have our revenge! Just... y'know, not now. Cause there are about seven of us and a jillion of you.
You're the last dwarves in the world, you have a entire race's pitiful legacy to uphold.  Those jillions of elves didn't scare your ancestors and they won't scare you!  (Well, they might have been scared as they were sliding down the elves' gullets, but don't let that worry you.)

Quote from: Greymane

Oh, I'd love to!

Er... how do I go about doing that, though?
Go to the menu and export your map.  It'll generate a file with the seed and worldgen parameters along with it.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Greymane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2008, 06:01:40 pm »

You're the last dwarves in the world, you have a entire race's pitiful legacy to uphold.  Those jillions of elves didn't scare your ancestors and they won't scare you!  (Well, they might have been scared as they were sliding down the elves' gullets, but don't let that worry you.)

I think we're going to need a few dozen more dwarves to fortify our courage before declaring war on a race of elves whose every other sewn image is of them slaughtering or massacring someone. We're up to 12, thanks to a particular farmer woman breeding 'um like she was a jackrabbit (three kids total so far, all sons).

Quote from: Aqizzar
Go to the menu and export your map.  It'll generate a file with the seed and worldgen parameters along with it.

Awesome. Thank you Aqizzar.

So, this is what came up:
[WORLD_GEN]
   [TITLE:MEDIUM]
   [SEED:679048046]
   [HISTORY_SEED:117196996]
   [NAME_SEED:524949924]
   [DIM:129:129]
   [END_YEAR:1050]
   [BEAST_END_YEAR:200:80]
   [REVEAL_ALL_HISTORY:1]
   [CULL_HISTORICAL_FIGURES:0]
   [ELEVATION:1:400:401:401]
   [RAINFALL:0:100:200:200]
   [TEMPERATURE:25:75:200:200]
   [DRAINAGE:0:100:200:200]
   [VOLCANISM:0:100:200:200]
   [SAVAGERY:0:100:200:200]
   [ELEVATION_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
   [RAIN_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
   [DRAINAGE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
   [TEMPERATURE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
   [SAVAGERY_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
   [VOLCANISM_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
   [GOOD_SQ_COUNTS:25:251:503]
   [EVIL_SQ_COUNTS:25:251:503]
   [PEAK_NUMBER_MIN:12]
   [OCEAN_EDGE_MIN:1]
   [VOLCANO_MIN:3]
   [REGION_COUNTS:SWAMP:260:1:1]
   [REGION_COUNTS:DESERT:260:1:1]
   [REGION_COUNTS:FOREST:1040:3:3]
   [REGION_COUNTS:MOUNTAINS:2080:2:2]
   [REGION_COUNTS:OCEAN:2080:1:1]
   [REGION_COUNTS:GLACIER:0:0:0]
   [REGION_COUNTS:TUNDRA:0:0:0]
   [REGION_COUNTS:GRASSLAND:2080:3:3]
   [REGION_COUNTS:HILLS:2080:3:3]
   [EROSION_CYCLE_COUNT:250]
   [RIVER_MINS:100:100]
   [PERIODICALLY_ERODE_EXTREMES:1]
   [OROGRAPHIC_PRECIPITATION:1]
   [SUBREGION_MAX:2750]
   [CAVE_MIN_SIZE:5]
   [CAVE_MAX_SIZE:25]
   [MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:25]
   [NON_MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:50]
   [ALL_CAVES_VISIBLE:0]
   [SHOW_EMBARK_RIVER:2]
   [SHOW_EMBARK_POOL:2]
   [SHOW_EMBARK_M_POOL:2]
   [SHOW_EMBARK_M_PIPE:2]
   [SHOW_EMBARK_CHASM:2]
   [SHOW_EMBARK_PIT:2]
   [SHOW_EMBARK_OTHER:2]
   [SHOW_EMBARK_TUNNEL:2]
   [TOTAL_CIV_NUMBER:20]
   [TOTAL_CIV_POPULATION:20000]
   [PLAYABLE_CIVILIZATION_REQUIRED:1]
   [ELEVATION_RANGES:2080:4160:2080]
   [RAIN_RANGES:2080:4160:2080]
   [DRAINAGE_RANGES:2080:4160:2080]
   [SAVAGERY_RANGES:2080:4160:2080]
   [VOLCANISM_RANGES:2080:4160:2080]

I also realized that I'd left an edited token in entities that gave elves platemail. Wooden platemail, but platemail never the less. It got left in there while I was messing around to see what did what. Still, gotta wonder if that had any contributing factor towards the elves slaughtering us...

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2008, 06:18:25 pm »

You know if you abandon and g back you -might- get more dwarves on embark but I don't really know how that system works anyway.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2008, 06:25:54 pm »

I'm totally trying this world!  :D

« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 06:36:06 pm by Neoskel »
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

socially_inept_butterfly

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes cows for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2008, 06:34:28 pm »

[TITLE:MEDIUM]
   [SEED:679048046]
   [HISTORY_SEED:117196996]
   [NAME_SEED:524949924]

Sweet, thanks! I'm gonna try it now!
Urist Axebeard, Mayor, has banned the export of brains.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2008, 06:37:54 pm »

Well i tried it, but events didn't go quite as advertised. The dwarves never wiped out the goblins. Elf civs just got pushed around by humans.

Also no elf civ named the Intricate Nut. (Lack of this evil empire explains other inconsistencies.)

Wait, wooden platemail isn't modded in, they have it by default.

How about you regen the world on your game and then upload the zip of that to DFFD?

You don't have to abandon or anything.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 07:05:50 pm by Neoskel »
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5