Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Lora Eyamifava, elf Merchant has gone berzerk!  (Read 10512 times)

Alabaster

• Bay Watcher
  • "ezum Boltlove, Hale Disemboweler of Direction"
    • View Profile
Lora Eyamifava, elf Merchant has gone berzerk!
« on: September 14, 2008, 02:22:11 pm »

So elf merchants arrive, and I trade them some rock craft for thier hippie goods, and a goblin ambush appears on my drawbridge, which gets ended with the only casulties being a few puppies.  Then, as my dwarves are happily looting the bodies, I get the "Lora Eyamifava, elf Merchant has gone berzerk!" anouncement.

I gleefully watch my marksdwarves fill the elf full of bolts, as he tries to punch out his own mule.  I then get the messages "Mule is stricken by melancholy!", and "Thalu Lalalaapasi, Elf Merchant has gone berzerk!"

My newly trained speardwarves put that mad tree hugger down just as quickly.  (Interestingly, He died with a spear stuck through each hand and a bone bolt in his foot.)  And then the "Mule has gone stark raving mad!"

Any thoughts as to what drove the elves crazy?  My hunter happened to be killing game and fish all over the map while he chased a single marmot.  Could it have been all the dead bodies of goblins and animals?  Does this mean elf ambushes are in my future?

Massam

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait...you're putting me in charge?!?!?
    • View Profile
Re: Lora Eyamifava, elf Merchant has gone berzerk!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 02:24:38 pm »

So you staked him to the ground?

Alabaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 02:29:19 pm »

dang near crucified em.

Khain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 02:49:13 pm »

It was probably something to do with seeing animals killed
Khain is a dubious worshipper of Stozu Oxtrararstruck Baxstutspen

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 05:07:42 pm »

ARG! Dead animals! *Beats on other animals*

Yeah, real logical there...
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Nethras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 05:29:35 pm »

Since when are elves supposed to be logical?  That does sound odd though... you sure none of the elves/pack-animals died to the goblins?

mythmonster2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 07:17:30 pm »

No, I don't think that's why. I once slaughtered an entire pack of rhesus macaques before right in from of my depot.
Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.
And neither can I...

Alabaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 08:43:15 pm »

is there any way to check a combat log? 

perhaps a goblin killed one of the mules, causing the first elf to go crazy.

Also:  does this mean the Elf pack mules will be looted by my dwarves? or are they still considered elven property?  they were packing up when the ambush hit, and are currently hanging around my depot, loaded down with the goods I had just traded them. 

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 12:05:00 am »

Hm... The ambush didn't keep them there too long, did it? Sounds like the default 'all wait and no leave makes merchant go crazy' response...

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 10:08:26 am »

Since when are elves supposed to be logical?  That does sound odd though... you sure none of the elves/pack-animals died to the goblins?

pointy ears and logic seem to have some conections

live long and prosper
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

Alabaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 11:10:16 am »

Hm... The ambush didn't keep them there too long, did it? Sounds like the default 'all wait and no leave makes merchant go crazy' response...

do merchants go berzerk if they go to leave and cannot path out of your fort?

I'm leaning towards the "carnage of war and animal slaughter pushed the emo elf over the edge" hypothesis.  perhaps when the merchant was randomly generated he was already unhappy, and then went to a fort to trade and witnessed: death of animals, piles of bones and animal remains in the front yard, goblins slaughtering puppies, dwarves slaughtering goblins, vomit, blood, and maybe even a tree or two being cut down.

i think I'd probably punch a mule after that too.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 01:28:46 pm »

You sure the goblins didn't kill an elf?  You wouldn't have gotten an announcement about it.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 03:30:40 pm »

Elfy McElf: We are here to hug trees and kill dwarves. And it's your fault we are all out of trees.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Alabaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008, 06:30:04 pm »

The only dead elves are the ones that went berzerk, but the very next season right before the human caravan arrived I had two consecutive goblin abmushes from oppisite ends of the map with 3 goblin snatch attempts as well. 

After the dust settled and my dwarves started looting cleaning up I check the cage pile to see if any goblins got caged.  Well, lo and behold, there's an elf sitting in a pine cage.

Would the elf being trapped by the cage turn the other elf berzerk?  maybe he fell asleep on the trap?  or maybe the elf appeared in the goblin ambush.    I wish there was some way to check logs or combat reports to see.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008, 08:17:54 pm »

The only dead elves are the ones that went berzerk, but the very next season right before the human caravan arrived I had two consecutive goblin abmushes from oppisite ends of the map with 3 goblin snatch attempts as well. 

After the dust settled and my dwarves started looting cleaning up I check the cage pile to see if any goblins got caged.  Well, lo and behold, there's an elf sitting in a pine cage.

Would the elf being trapped by the cage turn the other elf berzerk?  maybe he fell asleep on the trap?  or maybe the elf appeared in the goblin ambush.    I wish there was some way to check logs or combat reports to see.

1. Release elf.
2. Kill elf if necessary.
3. Check elf's equipment. If it's all rope reed he came with the traders, if it's silk and leather he came with the goblins.
4.  ???
5. Profit. No really, you can sell his stuff if you had to kill him.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.
Pages: [1] 2