Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Compilation: The BIGGEST gameplay problems with DF  (Read 6855 times)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: Compilation: The BIGGEST gameplay problems with DF
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2008, 11:16:31 am »

Damn, I thought I kept a link tot hat witty "bump target thread" magic card.

Lot of free "bump cards"  are available in the master list of suggestions topic! [This topic is also on the list] :D

Army coordination
Face it: managing your military dwarf isn't fun. They are stupider than a necked chicken after eaten.
* Military, especially leaders, sleeping when besieged or attacked
* Uncoordinated squads, units acting (getting slaughtered) individually<P>The most common (partial?) solution to this is a "state of emergency" (auto-set during sieges?) putting the military on alert.
Civilians during sieges
Well, perhaps even more stupid than military dwarves are civilians when ordered to stay indoors. This of course leads them to either stand in the door so it can't be closed, or stand between your military and the attackers. Thank you, Mr Longshanks Smartdwarf.
The best solution I have found to this in the threads is to designate "military only" (forbidden to civilians) and/or "safe" (mandatory retreats for civilians) zones that take effect when in a state of emergency.

Well I suppose Toady will update this part, since he is working on the Army Arc...at least I hope so.  :)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 11:19:30 am by Tormy »

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2008, 12:53:20 pm »

Army arc was pretty far away back then wasn't it?
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2008, 01:25:15 pm »

What I mean is, take a look at the dates:

Go dig an underground tunnel network in your back yard and tell me how all the dirt you removed just turned transparent and insubstantial so you could move through it and keep digging. I would also like to hear about how you carried the stuff out and it suddenly became a giant carveable block.

I can't dig in my backyard.

I live next to the ocean. There's an aqufier. A freshwater aquifier, oddly enough.

FuIru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2008, 06:20:56 pm »

The stone management is a problem, though it's not a big one.  The problem is that whenever someone gets a job that requires stone, they always seem to pick the one that is FARTHEST away from them.  It would be nice if I could specifically zone mining to have the stones be automatically forbidden.  Or to not leave stones, but that might be asking too much.

What I'd like to see is when a dwarf picks a stone for a task, and paths to it, as they're walking the path, they'd check within line if site (either their current square, or 1 square in each direction), and if there is an untasked stone, use that instead.

This could also solve the problem of the dwarves going out of their way to go get the stone 1 or 2 z-levels from them, if the path they'd take would take them past a stockpile or other untasked stone. (one slight performance optimization, at the cost of memory, would be to store the expected path length, and then only site-check stones once you've gone further than that length (since if there were a stone within that length, the dwarf probably should have chosen that one anyway).

I think it could add a bit of realism, as well. I don't think we'll ever get away from telepathic dwarves (who know that stone is available the instant the dwarf 20 z-levels below them mines it), but I think it'd be nice if dwarves headed for the nearest stone stockpile when they need stone, and grabbed one if they happened to see it along the way. Could mean that dwarf then carries stone a lot farther than need be (slowing him/her down a bit), but the exercise would do them good.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]