Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31

Author Topic: Zombie Mod: version 0.91 Now With WORKING Graphics!  (Read 77487 times)

Neoadept

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you look at that hat?
    • View Profile
Zombie Mod: version 0.91 Now With WORKING Graphics!
« on: September 14, 2008, 03:58:43 pm »

This is a beta release of a total conversion mod, this version is to help me fine tune the central issues, namely the zombies and their interactions with the other races.  It also has a few tweaks to help things feel nice and post-apocalyptic.

NEW Version 0.9
-Graphics, courtesy of Braingnawer.
-Added Aluminum and Glass to the things you can find in garbage.
-Lowered value of aluminum.

Change log:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Information (incomplete):

Zombie Mod
Just drop the contents into the objects folder and gen a new world.

I'm open to comments, criticism, and suggestions, so if there's a problem or you think something should be different, speak up!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 04:02:03 pm by Neoadept »

EchoP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie Mod: version 0.5
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 04:16:08 am »

Good mod so far, but a three small complaints.
1. I use the mayday tileset, and all my dwarves are showing up as the default dwarf drawing (first pictures in data/art), just in different colours. I presume this is because they are no longer dwarves, but whatever you want.
2. When I started a new fortress, was very close to infected, but they were treated as wild animals. As in, they displayed no aggression, and my military left them alone unless they were very close or I switched the chase wild animals option.
3. On the embark screen, couldn't find battle-axe. I figured out that picks were now jackhammers, but unless axes have turned into shotguns...

Haven't had that much time to play it yet, but I dunno about the perma-slow rats...
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 04:19:19 am by EchoP »

EchoP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 04:18:45 am »

Sorry, double post. I hate that the quote button is right next to the modify one.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 04:20:27 am by EchoP »

Neoadept

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 04:47:15 pm »

Thanks, this is exactly the kind of feedback I need.

1.  Not sure what's going on with the tileset, it works fine on standard.  It even has the same tile information for survivors as it does for dwarves.  I'll download the tileset and look into it later.

2.  Yeah, that's a problem right now.  They work fine in adventure, but nothing I can find will make the creature versions of infected work properly in fortress mode.  If anyone wants to help, here's the relevant file:

3.  They're chainsaws in the version you have, the next release will give survivors less effective hatchets and leave the chainsaws to the other civs.
I should stick a weapons section in the opening post anyway.

I've played around with the rat thing, it's not too bad.  It only slows them down a little bit and only happens once in a long while.  It really only becomes a problem if you don't keep the rats down and everyone gets bitten, otherwise it's barely noticeable.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 05:40:11 pm »

You didn't make the Zombies into "Civilizations"? That might be the reason for the problem.

Just add in the tags [CAN_CIV] and [CAN_LEARN], leaving out [CAN_SPEAK] to ensure all the other races attack Zombies. Also, when modding in zombie civilizations, try to have a TON of Zombies to spawn in, to make it an accurate zombie apoc as possible (as well to ensure all the other factions will encounter the zombies eventually).

Add in the tag [SEIGER] to ensure that zombies lay seige to other cities once in a while.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 05:41:43 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Neoadept

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 05:50:44 pm »

You misunderstand, there are two versions of infected in the mod.  There's the infected who civ, which do everything you mentioned, and the infected who don't, who are supposed to wander around the world in groups, providing a constant, if slightly smaller, threat.

The first work just fine, but the second only seems to do what it's supposed to in adventure mode.  What I need is a way to make a creature head straight for the nearest Survivor and attack, or at the very least attack on sight.  At the moment they ignore everything unless you're right on top of them.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 06:19:54 pm »

Oh, my bad then, Neoadept. I'll try to think of something though, but I haven't experienced with modding non-civ creatures.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Virroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 06:20:55 pm »

If you want your nonciv zombies to run insta-attack targets, make the targets vermin_lava (or whatever other vermin that works) add verminhunter to the zombies.

Neoadept

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 06:30:36 pm »

Would that make the creature they are set to attack vermin?  And would it lead to an issue with cats?

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 06:51:00 pm »

Urist McHaller cancels do nothing: Swarmed by pack of kittens

Oh I can see it even now...Beautifull
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

Virroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 08:39:29 pm »

I haven't tried doing this with any other verminhunters in play yet, but it does make the creatures hyper aggressive. The zombies here will end up attacking the rats and butterflies as well as citizens, but that can't really be helped. End result is probably cats chasing citizens.

Lol@kittenmurders

Neoadept

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 09:36:01 pm »

Hm, it's promising, but doesn't give me quite the right results.  They make straight for the survivors, but run back the moment they have a clear line of sight at each other.  It's probably something to do with some other tag they've got, I'll look into it later.

On the bright side, tame vermin hunters don't seem to notice anything different, so cats aren't too much of a problem.  Well, no more than usual.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 10:25:32 pm »

It works just like if you give cats a vermin tag they won't attack each other. This is because the cats consider other cats and the dwarves to be "on the same side" as them. This means that they will not attack them.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Virroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 12:29:41 pm »

If they're running away at sight range, try taking out zombieeyes. I think one of the older zombie mod attempts did that to negate fear. Apparently NOFEAR isn't good enough.

Neoadept

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2008, 04:10:34 pm »

That did the trick, thanks!

I'll release a new version with those changes tomorrow, for now I'll just put together enough other tweaks to justify it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31