Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Your most anticlimatic moment?  (Read 3748 times)

NFossil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Your most anticlimatic moment?
« on: September 14, 2008, 07:02:36 pm »

For both modes. I've searched and didn't see a similar thread, so while posting this 'incident', I guess I'll just make this a place for people to post similar things.
Just now I got my first dragon attack since starting DF. I ordered everyone inside, and pulled the lever that would flood the entrance tunnel with magma. Unfortunately the flow was so slow that the dragon got past the magma exit without even touching the magma!
Then it went down at the 3rd stone-fall trap.
BTW, 1st post. I didn't feel the need to post anything before, but I just have to post this one. XD

EverybodylovesTJ

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McNaughty
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Art
Re: Your most anticlimatic moment?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 07:08:40 pm »

Welcome to the forums, then.

My most anticlimactic moment was probably when my champion swordsdwarf rushed headlong into a hail of goblin arrows, obviously dying rather quickly. BUT, after that, two recruits managed to get close enough to be pummeled to death by the gobbos.
Need I even mention the GIANT ASS BOOK?
Quote from: Toady One
So even if you aren't really hurting the titan, at least you can make little marks on it and bother it or something.

Rotinaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 07:21:07 pm »

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-650-hydrabattle

skip to near the end unless you want to see his equipment

His shield was still being made at this point

FunnyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 11:43:47 pm »

Started a new adventurer yesterday or so.  I get everything ready, and go to find my first opponent.  Maybe 6 steps on the world map, and I'm ambushed by a pack of wolves, with me in the middle.  I move once, two wolves miss me.  I may get out of this yet!  I move a second time, and a wolf bites me in the face, plucking out both of my eyes.  I move a third time, pass out, and am torn to pieces.

Seems kinda fitting, though, since my recent SOP for training against animals is this:
1. Grapple their head with a hand.
2. Throw them to the ground.
3. Tear out both eyes.
4. Set combat preferences to close combat (if not already).
5. Hold the direction towards them.  Back off a step and repeat if I start strangling them.
Beta Tester's Motto: Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 11:53:44 pm »

My most anticlimatic moment was when one of my best dwarves was injured, and the river froze before I had gotten around to diverting some water underground.  I cursed the weather when the dwarf died of thirst.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 01:56:31 pm »

My most anticlimatic moment came in my last fort during a siege.  I had used the terrain to my advantage as best I could, and the only way to get to the front door was by going down a long valley with four fortification-lined, marksdwarf-filled death-bridges overhead pouring steel-tipped death down upon them.  At the gates themselves would be sixteen macedwarves eagerly awaiting the chance to kill something other than each other.

A big siege came, the first credible test of my defenses: more than eighty goblins, with more than seventy of them wearing full chain-level armor.  They all got to the entrance of the valley at about the same time and charged in.  My marksdwarves went to work.

About a dozen of the goblins fell as they got under the first bridge.  Then...they stopped.  They stopped, turned around, and ran.  Every last squad turned tail and fled within the span of about three crossbow volleys.  The coming of age of my laboriously-planned defenses was supposed to be a glorious, hard-won victory fought on a battlefield that ran red with rivers of goblin and dwarven blood.  Instead, it was a few marksdwarves putzing around and more goblins with bolts in their backs than in their shields :'(
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

VeryBadThingsDownHere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 08:04:48 pm »

lone 'Proficient' Marksdwarf taking down a titan.
Why don't you kids finish that barrel before opening a new one!?

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 08:33:11 pm »

A Champion of mine lost his wife (and the daughter she was carrying) in a "tragic" drowning "accident". He went beszerk, and I was ready to watch him tear my fort limb from limb. It was going to be exciting, as he was the only Champion, and everyone else were just random wrestlers.

He was outside at the time, and on his way in got hit by two stonefall traps, crushing him to death.

ah well.

Ezuku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 08:09:31 am »

When I discovered how cheap traps (especially cage traps) were...

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 08:38:00 am »

Making a Labyrinth of death for my caged goblins where at one of the longer paths to freedom you would have to pass 5 weapon traps (with just one weapon each) and then to discover that that all goblins already died at the first serious trap (well the first one was just a trap with a whip, I mean the one thereafter, which held a  single spiked ball) despite the fact that they were still wearing all of their armor.

Even more anticlimactic was, when afterwards the Labyrinth was often used as a backdoor for ambushers and only few of them made it alive through the first weapon trap on the other side (which just held a crossbow) with even these few survivors getting slaughtered by the second trap (a two handed sword).

Before that I would have expected a full arnmored goblin to make it through 3-4 single weapon traps before finally getting killed.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 08:54:17 am »

Hm maybe when a fresh recruit [speardwarf] has managed to kill a dragon alone. [Vanilla unmodded game]

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 09:05:03 am »

First fortress that encountered an ambush. I had the goblins trapped in my gatehouse(Remember: In the gatehouse, not the murder courtyard), and I thought they would slaughter my entire population. So what did I do? I sent the one swardsdwarf that immigrated here to fight them. I was expecting murder from the goblins, but the one guy took them down with little to no trouble.

Huh. After that, I didn't fear goblins as much.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 11:22:39 am »

New version.
Want to do some goblin head cleaving.
Embark on a goblin fortress of darkness.
Edit my starting seven and items to accommodate "head cleaving".
"Strike the Earth!".
Find out everyone is friendly.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

BatCountry

• Bay Watcher
  • We can't stop here...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 11:56:35 am »

One man's anticlimactic is another man's epic fail.

I started a fortress on top of an old mine inhabited by a cyclops. The first thing I did is lay a floor over the only stairwell access, then prepared my troops.

I tunneled down to the cyclops inside the walls of the mine, having to pierce an aquifer to do so.
Having finally marshaled my troops I established a barracks inside the walls in order to keep my soldiers there, gave them supplies, food and water and beds, then walled them off so that, should they fail, the earth itself would be their tomb. A lone miner in a separate squad was stuck in with them, also assigned to the barracks.  His pick was on the floor, ready to be used.

I then prepared for a mighty cave-in to hopefully injure the cyclops before I let loose my troops on them. Here's what happened:

As I was waiting for somebody to install the support which would instigate the collapse, I discovered accidentally that I had left one diagonal selected for digging which shouldn't have been. Naturally the dwarf ran into the mine deciding to pick up a gem from the floor, and was eaten by the cyclops.  Then another dwarf ran in to get his remains... You see where this is going.

Finally I decide in a panic to cut the support and sacrifice a dwarf so that the cyclops can't escape up the mine shaft I'd used to precipitate the collapse.  One lone heroic peasant charges down and dismantles the support, causing a 1 level cave-in. The cyclops is out of range of the dust collapse, strolls in and finishes off the unconscious and mortally wounded peasant.

Due to a miscalculation on my part, the cave-in also collapses one corner of the wall to the barracks and the resulting dust cloud knocks out those soldiers who weren't already laying down on the job.  The cyclops then strolls in and eats my entire sleeping army.

The remaining dwarves (now only 10) go mad and stop working (save the one which patches the entrances to the mines), half of them throw tantrums and kill almost the entire other half.  The remainder wander around in the direst of moods despite the epicness of their dining rooms, alternately tantruming and going berserk.  Finally the last dwarf left alive, somehow recovering from his melancholy begins burying the few corpses remaining.  For no readily apparent reason (he may have had hunting turned on), he picks a fight with a camel and is stomped to death.

Edit: I did decide to reclaim that fortress.  Due to the unholy amount of batmen present, it sent me with 7 squads of dwarves.  To this mix I added 25 war dogs at the expense of supplies, knowing I could always reclaim it again later after the mines were gutted.

We arrived and delved into the mines only to find the cyclops completely gone and most of the batmen gone as well.  After wandering around for 3 full months looking for them, I gave up and deactivated most of the military, continuing to build the original fortress to accommodate all of the new dwarves.

I left two units on circular patrol routes to make sure I didn't miss anything and caught a few batmen in ambush.

Then the cyclops arrives... and two wrestlers and 6 dogs kill the thing at the expense of one dog and one wrestler.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 12:01:51 pm by BatCountry »

Sykirobme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2008, 12:36:19 pm »

I had a raw recruit marksdwarf take out the first dragon that arrived at my latest fortress.  For some reason, the dragon came onto the map with a number of grey wounds that caused him to fall unconscious every few steps.  I kept my civilians inside and waited forever and a day for the beastie to reach the gate of my fort.

He didn't even get there.  Said recruit was refilling his waterskin (this was before I completed my first well) and shot the unconscious lizard five or six times, killing it.

I did get a second dragon, unwounded, about three years later.  It stormed to my fortress gate, where it was faced by 10 dwarves who had been doing nothing but sparring for years (peace with the gobbos...bah!).  Four of the dwarves were champions, and the others were all masters at their chosen weapon.  When they caught sight of the approaching beast, my most powerful champion ran ahead of the pack to face it.  I was prepared for an epic battle of legends!

The soldier dodged two puffs of fiery breath and tangled with the dragon.  By then, the other dwarves had caught up and piled on.

Dragon was dead in a couple seconds.  No wounds on any of my dwarves.
ka KenHR on most other fora.
Pages: [1] 2 3