Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Your most anticlimatic moment?  (Read 3749 times)

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your most anticlimatic moment?
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2008, 11:33:41 am »

One man's anticlimactic is another man's epic fail.

I started a fortress on top of an old mine inhabited by a cyclops. The first thing I did is lay a floor over the only stairwell access, then prepared my troops.

OK...how do you do that? I.e., find the mine and know there's a monster in it?
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2008, 05:38:03 pm »

It's easier if you turn on the option to show caves in world-gen.  But I've randomly bumped into caves before also -- one with several GCS and a minotaur.

BatCountry

• Bay Watcher
  • We can't stop here...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2008, 10:24:54 am »

One man's anticlimactic is another man's epic fail.

I started a fortress on top of an old mine inhabited by a cyclops. The first thing I did is lay a floor over the only stairwell access, then prepared my troops.

OK...how do you do that? I.e., find the mine and know there's a monster in it?

Yeah, previous poster is right.  If you have always show caves turned on you'll see square-shaped cave regions with menacing names on the map.  If you embark on top of one that is open to the surface, all of the monsters show up on the unit list.

The real problem comes when you reclaim a fort you built on one - all the monsters disappear off the list.

CptFastbreak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2008, 10:44:57 am »

Yesterday, I had my first megabeast in a fortress: a titan. I gathered all dwarves inside, closed the gates, manned - that is, dwarfed the watchtowers only to find that the titan seems to have had his right hand mysteriously lopped off before or immediately when entering the map. He just sat on the map border passing out and vomiting all the time, waiting for my marksdwarves to pepper him with bolts.

Talk about anticlimactic.

Ibrukromlam Oth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2008, 06:51:42 pm »

First dragon. My response is to Insta-draft all non-wounded/possessed dwarves. As they grab equipment and begin to mob around the outside of a drwbridge, I decide to check on the dragon's progress...

He apparently decided a stairway as worth checking out, leading to a small side project i which I set up pumps to drain water from some gem deposits on an aquifer layer. Since he made sure to destroy EVERYTHING I had set up on his way down, he left himself no wooden ladder to get back up with. I'm currently setting up a flooding system in case I feel like feeding the dwarves some nice juicy dracosteak, but I hope to cage and tame him if possible. Either way, real smart dragon.

grelphy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2008, 07:50:40 pm »

Hydra waded through my lava moat.

This wasn't a dodge. The moat was still filling and so in using a ramp to cut the corner climbing on the drawbridge, it stepped in 2- or 3-deep lava and promptly died. My dwarves were huddling terrifiedly around the entrance, preparing to mob it when it entered.

I was sort of disappointed that I didn't get any *hydra tallow roast*s or =hydra skull totem=s out of it, but somewhat relieved that my dwarves didn't all die.

Given the general shape of coins and what most people seem to find the minted variety useful for: "Rounds".

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2008, 07:55:00 pm »

Arrows and Bolts... Enough said.

I could make a list of all my anti-climatic moments but they all involve me getting hit by arrows and one time by magic staff.

Ancient Whale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2008, 01:37:35 pm »

My most recent anticlimactic moment involves one of my most beloved dwarves. The Sheriff, who was a Champion Axedwarf and had fifty-two sentient beings on his kill list, in addition to a dozens of wildlife critters, including elephants and gorillas. I even gave her the professional title of "Bad-Ass". This girl could wipe out armies by herself. Or so I thought.

A few goblin snatchers and kobold thieves had prompet me to set up squad stations by the land end of the bridge which is the only way into my fortress and rotate my six military champions on duty to stand at these spots. Note that these locations are somewhat far away from the fortress proper and just out of bowshot from the edge of the map.

So I have the Sheriff stationed by the bridge and another champion further north(to catch stragglers and enemies discovered by wildlife) when a vile force of darkness arrives. It was not a terrifying sight. No historical goblins, no elite marksmen, I don't even think there was a single weaponmaster in the army. The squad closest to the bridge consisted of several marksmen, but I thought that would be no deal. So I send Bad-Ass to prove her name and the first bolt shot at her pierces her heart. Effin' typical. To make matters worse, the other champion has a damaged brain, so while he did get his Wrestling skill to Legendary, he was still only a Skilled Spearman. He did not encounter the marksmen, and managed to gore four goblins before being dogpiled and slowly taken apart.

Ah well, life goes on. Bad-Ass gets a platinum sarcophagus, but the army marches onward to the fortress gates. I activate my entire army, including a dozen skilled marksdwarves which are positioned in advantageous positions above and around the entrance. These have routed formidable armies with flashing goblins in the past, and all the melee dwarves did was mop up the rout. So I'm not worried... except for that Royal Guard and a random marksdwarf running out towards the approaching force of darkness. Damnit.

The marksdwarf manages to shoot down a couple of goblins before falling under the hail of enemy fire(miraculously he survives, but badly injured). The Royal Guard, however, is an entirely different story. Royal and Fortress Guards in this fortress progressed in skill far quicker than I anticipated, and many gained elite status in wrestling before I could draft them into the army proper. Since then, many had reached legendary status. Still not content to give the Guards much privileges and being short on steel(no flux on the map), I outfitted them with leather armor and leather bucklers. No weapons.

And so it was that this guard, armored in leather and wielding only a leather buckler, charged out to meet the wall of flying barbed iron, dodged and blocked every single bolt and proceeded to bash the melee goblins into wobbly, bloody masses of flesh while under steady arrowfire.

He routed the entire army. I think his left hand got scratched.

Damn Royal Guards.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2008, 09:48:42 am »

Every time i build a massively elaborate doom machine infront of my entrace and the gobs completely ignore it in favor of an irrigation shaft where they promply get slaughtered because they have to walk past the barracks.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE
Pages: 1 2 [3]