Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: LF Help: Frozen Hell  (Read 1088 times)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
LF Help: Frozen Hell
« on: September 17, 2008, 05:47:32 am »

First-time poster, recent addict. And I do mean addict.

I'll come out and say it, I find parts of the game too easy. I've burned through way too many random-generated worlds trying to find a real challenge, only to quit once the population gets too bloated because defending fortress is no fun when there's nothing to defend against.

I want danger. I want my fortress to be a privelege, not a right.

I want to play Eskimo dwarves on a glacier map, fishing and hunting to survive, fighting off beasts and invaders and maybe even sieges with little more than the bone, leather and loot I took off the last thing I killed, praying for two or three immigrants to get to the fortress alive to replace the newest additions to the graveyard to bring my total population back up towards somewhere under twenty.

I'm not sure how to alter this game. The seed-parameters for custom world generation have some promise, but it's completely unexplained, and the thread on it is a bit thin. I figured out population cap with the .init file, but the massive assaults I want come at the price of a fortress that I can't manage without going insane.

Any help at all - even just how to bank the seeds so I can turn the thermostat way down and the invasions way up - would be thoroughly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, in case anyone decides to offer anything instead of laughing.

Sincerely,

-A Suicidal-Rambo-Eskimo Wannabe
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: LF Help: Frozen Hell
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 07:23:41 am »

Food limitations are easily applicable, they just need some discipline. To make the overall game ore difficult, make all possibly hostile creatures more dangerous by sizing them up, adding some damblock and/or making their attacks more powerful. The population limit is indeed best contained with the popcap in the init. For early sieges you could delete the [BABYSNATCHER]-tag from the goblin entity.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 07:45:11 am »

The goblin thing sounds promising, since I'm going for quantity more than anything else.

That said, I fiddled with the mapgen a bit and lo and behold - a beachside glacier with a frozen volcano!

How do I alter the goblin AI (delete the "babysnatcher" tag)? I don't remember seeing it in the .init file.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 08:03:50 am »

An amendment: The lava is frozen.

:|

Mondark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 08:11:28 am »

How do I alter the goblin AI (delete the "babysnatcher" tag)? I don't remember seeing it in the .init file.
  Most of the actual game content is contained inside the 'raw' files.  These are in the 'raw/objects' folder of your DF installation.  I don't remember which file goblins are in, entity_default.txt, I think.
  Editing the raws is pretty much like the init, as far as format, but with less helpful comments.  Check around the modding forum and the wiki for more specific information.
Fefeshnelmargalip

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 09:15:42 am »

Hey hey! Your requests are actually pretty typical - several of us play in worlds modded to be more challenging but otherwise similar to the vanilla DF. If you stick around this forum a bit, you'll discover a lot of different ways to make goblins tougher, more aggressive, make the elves or humans hostile, make food production harder, ect. ect. When you have specific questions, post away, we'll try to help!

*To change your for population, the init file is the place to be.
*To change the world, you'll want to look mostly in the world gen parameters, but you can also change what types of rocks and trees the world has available in the raws
*To change anything in the world (the civilizations, creatures, plants, ect.) you'll want to poke around the raws like Mondark mentioned. Really, a surprisingly large amount of things can be changed here.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 01:32:48 pm »

Alrighty, that helps. Can I alter these after starting/having saved the game (as you can with the .init changes)?

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 01:41:11 pm »

You can make amendments/edits to existing raw entries in a save you already have, but you can't make new ones.

Making new entries or deleting old ones from the raws will break the game.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 01:48:53 pm »

..also the entity_default is not an openable TXT or anything. D: How does one crack it.

Man, this board needs an FAQ.

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 02:00:34 pm »

You're looking at the wrong entity_default then. You need to look in raw/objects, not data/objects. (Basically, the text files in raw/objects are "compiled" into the god-knows-what-they-are files in data/objects when you start DF)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008, 02:39:26 pm »

Found it and removed the babysnatcher tag - saved a copy of the original in case I need to reset.

Now that that's out of the way (and my current worldgen settings get me a decent amount of glaciers), how do I crank up the savagery without the game imploding during the legends-phase?

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 02:56:19 pm »

P.S. on the world map, what are the boulder-shaped fortresses? Human, goblin, kobold?

Mondark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2008, 03:05:20 pm »

The ones that look like an omega symbol?  They're dwarven.  Gray and pink pi symbols are goblin towers, pink being more populous.  The paragraph symbols and 'í's are elven forest retreats.  And last but not least, the *s and #s are human towns.

I think.
Fefeshnelmargalip

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2008, 03:57:30 pm »

Well, technically all that tells you is that those are mountain homes, dark fortresses, forest retreats, and towns. They don't actually tell you what race _currently_ lives there. For example, if dwarves conquer a goblin site and occupy it, it still looks like a pi on the world map. Or if you mod in another race that lives in towns, they look the same as the human towns.

Mirefrost00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2008, 06:07:51 pm »

At the end of world gen, when one can export map image/info, use the cursor keys to move the cursor around the world map.  You can then find the civ race for each site. 

Those damn human towns still generally outnumber my Arachnidine ones.... Starting on desert biomes does that, I guess.