Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: A shocking revelation! ...ladies...  (Read 10548 times)

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
Re: A shocking revelation! ...ladies...
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2008, 06:49:09 pm »

Playing a girl in a roleplaying environment as a male is hardly unusual. Lots of people do it, for a variety of reasons.

Mostly it's just for variety, though. Playing male character after male character gets dull after a while. At least, in tabletop RPGs that's my experience.

However, the main reason so many males play females in MMORPGs is this: If they're going to stare at someone's ass for hours on end, it may as well be a female ass.
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2008, 06:52:24 pm »

However, the main reason so many males play females in MMORPGs is this: If they're going to stare at someone's ass for hours on end, it may as well be a female ass.
Well... besides diablo 2 when they forced gender of certain classes... when I USED to play a few MMOs like Guild Wars, I played as a female.

You know why?

Because as a dude it was illogical for me to stare at a guy's ass ALL DAY.

I've never really understood this line of 'logic'.  I mean, yeah I get it, but are you really that insecure that given the option, not having a man's backside centered in your vision is so important?  Have 3rd Person Shooters ever given you a problem?

My friends and I used to play City of Heroes.  A couple of my friends (guys) ran with a club that insisted on strict adherence to Japanese school-girl styled looks.  Every character they had was invested in this.  Right down to cat-ears.  They even had everyone (who they didn't know personally) convinced they were chicks (at least nominally).

I had two principle characters, both male, and one looked like an '80s rockstar in tight pants and muscleshirt because it was an awesome concept.  The other wore a business suit so gender was irrelevant.

Then we got into Guildwars.  Main friend ran a female necromancer with as much bare skin as the armor system allowed.  I had a fully clothed male ranger.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2008, 06:53:50 pm »

Holy crap!  :o They're starting to infiltrate our ranks! ;) Girls play DF too! Shocking.

We're real stealthy, since us ladies have the beards too.

Ah yes quite true. You can never tell the gender of a dwarf untill you um, well rub noses against it?

Yes rub noses.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2008, 07:00:34 pm »

Today's culture is very much swinging back towards women. Women are seen as being able to take strong leading roles of power and responsibility - something that many find attractive, in fact. Many, many males these days find the idea of a sword-swinging woman attractive. If you're going to play a sword-swinger, why _not_ play something attractive - at least, such is their thought pattern. I think. :P

Not only that, but many folks during initial character creation wonder "well, if everyone ELSE is going to be male, I'm going to be a female" just to avoid a sausage-fest. Then half the characters turn out to be female because others thought the same. xD
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2008, 07:21:09 pm »

Ah yes quite true. You can never tell the gender of a dwarf untill you um, well rub noses against it?

Yes rub noses.

Beards.  You feel around in their beards, if you pull your hand out and it's missing, it's a male, if you now have two hands attached to the same wrist, it's a female.  Tried and true way to find out gender.
Shoes...

apache1990

• Bay Watcher
  • Arena Master
    • View Profile
    • Bay Watcher Arena V2.0!
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2008, 07:54:34 pm »

In the only MMO I play, I play as what pretty much amounts to a robot, as male is the only selectable gender (that, and because the only organic part remaining is the brain, so gender would make ~0 difference).

It seems like very many players of the other two races play as females though, as I hardly ever see a male one (those that I see before they kill me, that is, :D).

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2008, 08:12:33 pm »

(that, and because the only organic part remaining is the brain, so gender would make ~0 difference).

Bah, it doesn't make much of a difference WHATEVER you are.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2008, 09:52:30 pm »

I never played a girl in a mmorpg, I just dont feel right running around in skimpy swimsuit armor. Also I never played a mmo where the camera is zoomed on my characters ass, so I dont have that problem.

Honestly it sounds strange to me how someone can become 'fixed' at their charaters ass, if I did things like that I would get nowhere!(well atleast much slower)

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2008, 09:56:34 pm »

You can also just register a new account and act like a female.  ;D
[Ok just kidding of course  ;)]
Dwarf Fortress: The MMORPG

Didn't you know MMORPG stood for "Many Men Online Role Playing Girls"?  ;)

And Duke 2.0: We get laughs all the time because people will ask how my gf and I met and we just have to truthfully answer: "internet?"

Oh God, same here.  I've come to hate that question.

With regard to roleplaying, I'm always insecure about playing female characters out of concern I'll do it wrong.  I've made about two, versus at least a dozen male/gender neutral.

This is all text-based roleplaying, mark you.  I refuse to go near MMOs.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 10:03:22 pm by McDoomhammer »
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Archaeologist

• Bay Watcher
  • Predator Angrinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2008, 11:45:12 pm »

Bah, who cares.  Is it even worth mentioning?  I've seen communities destroyed because you end up with girls joining and suddenly it's "Look at me, yes, I am a GIRL here in your forum, GIRLS do infact play games, and as a GIRL..." etc etc.

If it doesn't really actually add anything to the discussion, why bring it up?

Keizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Proving dwarven motorcycle gangs are yankees too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2008, 12:29:19 am »

I have a RL friend who is a girl, and whenever we play MMOs together, she usually picks a guy, and I pick a girl, then we RP doing lewd things in public. Or, we both pick boys, and do lewd things. Or, we both pick girls, and do lewd things. Well, we almost always do lewd things. And, I tend to prefer girls because with korean 3D modelers, they look mighty fine, or I pick d00ds and pretend to surprise buttsex people. Either way it's a win.

And, FYI, I showed her Dwarf Fortress, and she played it, and really got into it for a time. This was before 3d. She has been too intimidated to get back into it after it went 3d. A shame, she was really good at it. Oh well.
火族

Guy Montag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2008, 01:11:20 am »

I don't generally roll with female characters, mostly because the sorts of things I picture my toon doing don't seem right with a female.

I had a female-elf toon on WoW back when I played that awful mess of crap of a game, but I constantly had idoits thinking I was actually a girl.

My main guy throught WoW was a manly-looking specimen of a rouge with a high-and-tight and daggers he used to kill boars or whatever. Female players assumed I was a male. Its how it works, and I don't think its really cool to have 16- y/o boys hitting on me because I'm playing a female character.

ChJees

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2008, 01:23:57 am »

Default rule on teh internets:
"Always assume a person to be a man until otherwise proven."

;D

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2008, 07:41:12 am »

me personaly in RP(table top becouse there is NO computer role play) play always guy,(or robot or an alien entity or something wich is even if strange more easy to think like that, can't imagine how girls reason ...)
but in computer games i preferably take girls just becouse their modelisation is always (or mostly) nicer, and i never think on RP ing in computer games anyway (it is just too restrickted)
but when i played table top it was quite cool becouse we played with 7-8 other friends and there were always 3-4 girls in the team ... so storywise it helped much to us to not have always the allman role playing is boring thing ...
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2008, 08:11:20 am »

People always say they don't want to stare at a man's backside when they're playing an MMORPG, but I think they're just looking for an excuse to stare at a woman's backside.  All of my MMO characters are male, except in MMOs where classes are gender-forced, and I never play those for more than a few minutes.  Inability to allow gender selection is usually just one symptom of LOWQUALITYKOREANMMORPGDEVELOPERWITHTOOMUCHMONEYITIS.  I have never felt the need to stare at my character, except maybe when I get a really nice looking new item, like a piece of my Merciless Gladiator Warlock set.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11