Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17

Author Topic: Feces and Urine  (Read 35165 times)

ventuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Feces and Urine
« on: September 19, 2008, 03:40:32 am »

Hello, I really liked the game. But I noticed something vital missing - the feces and urine. How can Dwarf, Elfs, Human, animals, and all the living creatures out there staying alive for years without taking a poop and leak?

It could be added to game among with toilet.

Dwarf (or some living creature) want to take a shit or urine, they'd go to toilet if it exists. Feces or urine would go down to sewer, magma, or bucket if player would like. If it doesn't exist, they could try do it outdoor. Feces can also be another use for farming fertilizer. Perhaps toilet can boost dwarf "positive" thoughts ("ahh what a relieve, in door waste deposal" or something among those line ;) ). There can be more pro and cons with feces and urine but I ran out of idea what else could be suggested for the game related with those two.

This is my first post and first suggestion, please go easy. Post away.

Edit - It's been added to Eternal Suggestion, go vote! Thanks teefek.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 11:04:40 pm by ventuz »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Feces and Urine
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 03:47:35 am »

Not this shit again...

Sorry, had to say it.  Don't take it the wrong way.

Truth is, this idea has been suggested quite a few times before.  The results have been mostly the same, with a split between those who would really like to have it and those who would really hate having it.  However, the majority tends to favor keeping it out of the game.  There is such a thing as too much detail.

Especially when you're considering creatures as brain-dead as dwarves.  Having to personally wipe the butts of a fortress of 200 could get unbearably tedious.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 06:04:00 am »

I think this is OK. Attack the iron-packet transferrer goblins with your feces. After that, you can literally blow them all.

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 06:11:49 am »

Oh fuck, not the toilet suggestion again. Also, "I miss feces and urine in Dwarf Fortress" makes me very happy I don't know you IRL.
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Dwaref

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 06:13:59 am »

we already got soap, what do you expect to do with it?
He is somewhat reserved. He prefers to be alone. He doesn't need thrills or risks in life. He is never optimistic or enthusiastic about anything. He has a fertile imagination. He is open-minded to new ideas. He is put off by authority and tradition. He is very straightforward with others. He is very disorganized. He thinks it is incredibly important to strive for excellence. He has very little self-discipline. He takes time when making decisions. He doesn't really care about anything anymore.

catpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 07:03:29 am »

Just imagine the option in the init file if this becomes init-configureable

[SHITTING_DWARVES:YES]

Appelgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 07:17:51 am »

I think this might one day actually be implemented in some form or other - see the PowerGoal called "Digestive Tract Lesson".

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 07:48:23 am »

I think this might one day actually be implemented in some form or other - see the PowerGoal called "Digestive Tract Lesson".

Urist: 'Eh Kogan, remember that leprechaun I ate the other day? He came out the other end the other day. Quite surreal.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 09:08:06 am »

Oh please...I think its totally enough that we have vomits as a feature...I dont wanna see a fortress filled with shit.  ;D
I think some people should be more serious when making suggestions.. ::)

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 09:39:07 am »

Thanks but no thanks
MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

Necro

• Bay Watcher
  • ...trunk with her iron battlaxe, bruising the fat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2008, 09:53:25 am »

I'm all for this. Including designating a latrine zone.

Great Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes metal for its screaming guitars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2008, 10:04:58 am »

Yeah, I like this too. It goes well with the gritty/"realistic" feel of the game and makes for an interesting bit of logistics. And really, it's not like the graphics will be offensive. The ASCII is actually a big advantage in this case! :D

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2008, 10:11:25 am »

I'm more than fairly certain Toady said no to bio-waste.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2008, 10:12:53 am »

Also I think Digestive Tract Lesson was refering to Food Poisoning, Poisoning, and the effects of eating...

Rather then Silly poop jokes (Well alright... I could picture him adding "Farts" to the game as part of it)

Note: I am not saying this topic is a silly poop joke

Appelgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2008, 10:17:21 am »

PowerGoal89, DIGESTIVE TRACT LESSON, (Future): You are eaten by the dragon. It chews on you briefly, and you are grieviously wounded, but it swallows you and you survive. The powerful acids in its stomach surround you, but you are protected by your ring. Eventually you are passed into the intestines, where nutrients and water are absorbed, and then you are excreted.

But anyway. I agree that implementing feces seems silly at first. But they would create a need for stuff like sewers (which is awesome) and you could use manure from the livestock as fertilizer (which is realistic and not bad).

Edit:

Bonus fun fact: Toady was at one time working on a game called "Shit Thrower Cannibals".
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 10:26:16 am by Appelgren »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17