Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Captain of the Guard becomes a Captain of the Guard  (Read 4001 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Captain of the Guard becomes a Captain of the Guard
« on: September 19, 2008, 07:35:59 pm »

Whenever my Captain of the Guard increases in a particular skill, instead of saying "Captain McGuardy, Captain of the Guard is more experienced" the game insists on saying "Captain McGuardy has become a Captain of the Guard."  ...Which is a little less obvious than saying s/he is more experienced.

TheDeadlyShoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Blog not found
    • View Profile
Re: Captain of the Guard becomes a Captain of the Guard
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 08:16:30 pm »

The game gives this message when the Captain (or any member of the Fortress/Royal Guards) changes military profession, i.e. recruit -> wrestler -> hammerdwarf -> hammer lord. 
Lord have mercy and let me not throw up in this space helmet.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 09:12:04 pm »

No, the Guard gained Grower experience and the game said it. The Captain of the Guard has no military skills, and just increased to Novice Grower.

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 01:35:17 am »

You'll get this with custom profession names too.  One of my starting seven was a combination mason/carpenter with the custom prof. 'Multicrafter' and whenever he became slightly more experienced with one or the other he'd 'become' a Multicrafter.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Calessa Lynn Orphiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 05:32:42 pm »

I can confirm this -- happened the other day with my Mayor -- confused the hell out of me.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 05:56:43 pm »

Anytime you have a dwarf with a custom profession name, if he gains a skill level and his natural profession name would otherwise have changed, you will see the profession change message with the same profession listed twice, perhaps in two colors.

My "Brewmaster" (a custom profession title) got a fey mood and earned Legendary Stonecrafter, and "dick nobody, brewmaster, has become a brewmaster!" upon his creation.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 01:28:19 am »

Anytime you have a dwarf with a custom profession name, if he gains a skill level and his natural profession name would otherwise have changed, you will see the profession change message with the same profession listed twice, perhaps in two colors.

Last I checked "Captain of the Guard" was not a custom profession name...

TheDeadlyShoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Blog not found
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 01:42:01 am »

If it's not based on skills, it's a custom name.  For example, Clerk and Trader are natural profession names because they come from skills.  Military names are also natural, it just switches what skills it looks at.  Any name that is imposed regardless of skills (such as Captain of the Guard) will override military naming and you'll get this result.
Lord have mercy and let me not throw up in this space helmet.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 02:51:57 pm »

Mayor: Hey captain! we are giving you a promotion for helping with the harvest!
Captain: Sweet! So what am I now?
Mayor: Captain of the guard.
Captain cancels celebrate: too insane.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 11:55:37 am »

Oh no... Now I'm even more confused... ???

"Captain McGaurdy, Captain of the Guard is more experienced."

I think I've figured this... out? ...Maybe. I'm just theorizing based on certain game behaviors.

Whenever the Guard (Possibly custom professions as well) would change jobs (Peasant -> Grower; Mason -> Stoneworker; etc.), then the announcement "So-and-so, Title Here has become Title Here will appear.

However, if the custom titler in question gains experience WITHOUT changing jobs, then the announcement 'So-and-so, Title Here is more experienced' will be displayed.

This shall hereby be known as the 'CT (Custom Title) Theory' because I have discovered it.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 08:58:28 pm »

Yeah, I think this came from the movement from base unit types to appointment names independent of base unit types.  Should be straightforward enough to fix.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 10:51:12 am »

"is more experienced" just means they leveled up a stat, IIRC. i've seen this before, mostly with my fortress/royal guard.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones