Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40c] Caravans bypass site when depot access is only via tunnel.  (Read 1436 times)

Wang Commander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[40c] Caravans bypass site when depot access is only via tunnel.
« on: September 23, 2008, 05:09:45 pm »

I have built a fort on a dwarven tunnel, in which I immediately built a trade depot.  It shows having access to the edge of the map, but caravans arrive aboveground and complaining of no access.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
Re: [40c] Caravans bypass site when depot access is only via tunnel.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 06:26:59 pm »

More of a lack of feature than a bug, but i agree that caravans (at least dwarven ones) should utilize tunnels.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 07:46:35 pm »

Yeah, makes sense. Also, it would be neat if caravans and immigrants prefered to arrive on roads or in tunnels whenever possible.
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

Cryten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 11:01:25 pm »

Yeah the problem here isnt that you depot wasnt accessible but the fact that caravans will spawn on any edge that has enough spawning room to it. Thus they spawned in a area above the tunnel and didnt have access.

If I was you Id build a series of ramps on the edge of the map leading down into the tunnel then above ground spawns will come down via there (defencible & granting access).

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 01:02:07 am »

Yeah, makes sense. Also, it would be neat if caravans and immigrants prefered to arrive on roads or in tunnels whenever possible.

Hell yeah. I'd love for worldgen to have a chance to spawn "deep dwarves" that are fully cave adapted due to their complete lack of contact with the surface world. It would work in great with the 'expanded underground' stuff being worked on. Trogdolyte civs and other such things are their way of life, instead of Goblins and Elves and other surface crap.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 05:27:24 pm »

caravans spawn only on routes acessible to the depot, if its possible for them to reach it

caves just don't count apparently

Cryten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 02:11:32 am »

caravans spawn only on routes acessible to the depot, if its possible for them to reach it

caves just don't count apparently

How sure are you of this? Ive build on lower level from when Ive started with access to a ledge on one side of the map cleaned it out so the path was allright and still had the caravan spawning on high ground with no access.

From what I can work out the caravan will spawn as long as its has about 4 squares of clearing around it, then it checks for access to the depot.

Hishan

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 07:23:19 am »

Can you post the seed of that world? Id like some tunnels but cant seem to find any anywhere, whats the trigger for tunnels to be biult instead of roads. And if you made the rest of the map inacessible then nothing would spawn up there.