Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Skillboosting bug?  (Read 1245 times)

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Skillboosting bug?
« on: March 17, 2008, 05:55:00 pm »

I just got raided by mercenaries, fought my way out, and had my squad go to the clinic. Now one of my guys has 27 stealth and 26 disguise. Where did that come from?

Edit: looks like everyone in the squad got this boost.

[ March 17, 2008: Message edited by: AlanL ]

Teraleth

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Skillboosting bug?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 07:57:00 pm »

Not really the same bug, but I didn't feel like starting a new topic for it and it boosts skill too. Even though it's completely unrelated.

Scenario: The Founder picks up three hippies to turn into soldiers. He arms all of them with M16s and First-Rate Army Uniforms (himself included), and heads over to a Garment-Making-Oppression place to cleanse it of conservatives. The Founder drives a Taxicab and his three buddies ride.

Once at the place, they destroy a few machines, free a few oppressed slaves, and kill a few people. Retreating, they leave the area. But then, hot pursuit ensues as three-four cop cars chases them. During the ensuing shooting, a few cops are killed, but one of the founder's new hippie buddies gets mortally wounded and bleeds to death in the taxi. Wishing to save the rest of them, the Founder swerves off and loses the cops on his tail.

Now in the main screen, after sending them all off to the hospital (not sure if the bug was active before the hospital send-off), his two buddies return. Then, the Founder notices this.

While I envy the skill levels of this liberal, she's rather useless dead. =P 3000 Teaching + thousands of other skills = souped up skills on all of my alive people.

Note: I backed up the save file. Reloading the save file, the exact same situation as above occurs EXCEPT- In Picture One (above), there's no stats. Just  a "2", and a lot of blank space- no numbers, "deceased", location, activity, etc. And pressing "2" to attempt to get into detailed view of the buggy liberal doesn't do anything.

EDIT: After my wounded men returned from the hospital, I attempted to have them dispose of the body. Didn't work. Tried to get her out of the taxi. Didn't really work (but then again, I've never tried to get someone to stop using a vehicle  before). Waited a bit, packed up my thirty or so M16s from SafeHouse1, headed to my Liberal Guardian HQ, and after I arrived the bug became clearly visible. I suspect it has something to do with her dying in the taxi, but I haven't looked at the code and don't know how to program in this language anyways.

[ March 17, 2008: Message edited by: Teraleth ]

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 08:17:00 am »

My guess would be that this is another wrap around error caused by loss of juice...

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 11:36:00 am »

Juice is capped at -50 and it wouldn't wrap around until it went into negative tens of thousands at least. There's nothing in the game that could decrement it that far in one blow -- I think the biggest is a drop of 50 or so in combat with some high end enemies. Additionally, very high juice (it'd be fixed at 10,000 or 9,999 if it wrapped around) would only increase stats by about 20 each, it wouldn't impact skills. So I think it's safe to rule out juice.

AlanL's looks like a bug in the way experience is allocated on stealth and disguise -- some early massive skill gain bugs were due to a bug in the way level increases were calculated, but in this case we've had recent code changes in stealth and disguise specifically, and it's not hard to believe that we'd have a problem there. It sounds like it may have allocated massive amounts of skill experience, or perhaps (less likely) even incremented the skill itself rather than the experience.

Teraleth's is pretty clearly the game thinking there's a character somewhere when there clearly isn't, as that character is dead and deleted. It could probably be found just by looking at the code and tracing what happens in car chases if someone dies.

Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • From a time before a time before time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 11:59:00 am »

AlanL, which version were you playing??  Jonathan, did you compile a version with my changes to stealth?  I just double checked my stuff, and it's only incrementing IP and moreover you can only get 10 IP from a given conservative, max.  Perhaps there is some nasty interaction with mercenaries during a siege...

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 03:04:00 pm »

This is 3.12 alpha 7.

[ March 18, 2008: Message edited by: AlanL ]

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 04:40:00 pm »

I didn't do a release, it's possible I compiled and committed a windows exe to SVN, but I don't remember.

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 04:50:00 pm »

The zip filename is: lcs_win32_312_alpha7.zip

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 05:06:00 pm »

that's not even the latest version....

use this.

maybe the bugs are fixed (it happens sometimes, when you change the code).
also you can look for new more recent bugs.

[ March 18, 2008: Message edited by: a1s ]

I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.