Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Zombie Troll  (Read 65141 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Zombie Troll
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2008, 09:01:26 pm »

I like it. I hope you keep updating this for a while; I think this thread has a lot of potential. I wonder what it will be that will finally send you down into the spiral of losing... hm.

Oh, also, I enjoyed the title.
Probably when the wooden pumps fall apart :D

Or at this rate, I'll die from lack of iron. I've never failed so completely in finding hematite. I chose a gigantic embarking area because I know how hard it can be to find quality ores in igneous extrusive layers, but seriously, it's been two years soon and I haven't even found copper!

Thanks for the comments anyway, it's a thin line trying to write like this without it becoming just rude and pointless, but I'll keep updating until I run out of steam.

Please do. Your thread is very interesting and I really enjoy your pictures.

Swiftfreddy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2008, 07:23:58 am »

Great story :D

I couldn't stop myself doing a quick (fan) drawing of what I originally imagined Kogan, in armour, guarding the fort. (Before I realised the truth).
Here it is and I hope you like:

« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 07:28:07 am by Swiftfreddy »

Vaftrudner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2008, 11:08:33 am »

Great story :D

I couldn't stop myself doing a quick (fan) drawing of what I originally imagined Kogan, in armour, guarding the fort. (Before I realised the truth).
Here it is and I hope you like:
Oh yeah, nice pic. Damnit I wish the soldiers of Catbaldness looked like that :D Well, putting your life in the hands of a turtle shell can never be wrong, right? Oh, on the subject:

Autumn as told by Logem Luslemudib, peasant

1st Limestone

Kogan gathered me, Nomal and Medtob today. She told us that Dumat had hurt her back so bad, she couldn't spar anymore, and she needed some new recruits to hone her skills on. Since we only have wooden shields, she wanted three of us since at least one of us should be in fighting shape in a year. We all laughed at that, but she seemed a bit too happy. Fuck, I wish she would stop smiling like that...

Ast was promoted to sheriff and received a nice suite of rooms. Not that she cares. She was just anxious to get back to her lists. At least it feels promising to have the extended hand of the bloody nobility refuse to leave her office.

10th Limestone

A caravan came today and they were quite awestruck with the sudden quality of our trade goods. Shorast seemed really pleased until he heard that the king really needs some potash, at which point he started twitching slightly.

15th Limestone

Zaneg, no doubt envious of the sudden acceptance of Shorast, suddenly went apeshit and started shrieking about "THE VEST! THE VEST!" He grabbed a few of our imported goods and claimed the clothier's workshop. Not that anyone cares, really.

18th Limestone

Ok, so he made quite a nice vest, but unlike Shorast he hasn't changed a bit, so I still think that he just wanted a break from hauling ice and made it masterful just by luck.

21st Limestone

Today was the big day. Kogan wanted to test our skills by having us go down and face the giant in the cave. I'm starting to learn to stay as far away as I can every time she seems excited and happy, because nothing good can come from it. I had no chance to get away from this particular excursion though.

Kogan went charging ahead into the cave and us recruits scrambled along, too scared to do anything else. When I came down to the bottom floor I just froze. There she was, standing on top of the vomiting and bleeding giant, screaming nonsense and hacking away at its lower body.

I didn't know what the fuck I was doing but I charged ahead and the next thing I knew, it was lying dead on the floor and Kogan was shaking me, screaming "IT WAS MINE! MINE, DAMN IT!", at which point I realized that I'd nearly cut it in half.

I was still trying to figure out what had happened when Kogan rushed to the upper floor, furious, doing what she does best.

25th Limestone

I was greeted like a hero when I came back, and was told that I was now officially a swordsdwarf. Cog tried giving me a bucket of magma as a thank you, but ended up just standing at the moat looking sad as the bucket burned. Medtob nudged Kogan a bit, asking if she didn't feel lucky she had a hero like me by her side.

Mental note: Never. Make. Kogan. Mad.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 03:27:11 pm by Vaftrudner »

Spoggerific

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2008, 11:21:48 am »

I like the layout you have for your fortress. It's compact, and... cozy. Yes. Cozy.

Do you think you could upload a save for me to toy around with? I've never embarked on a glacier before, and I'd like to be able to mess around with ice, magma, etc. without having to build up a fortress.

Also... is combinedhells the name of the cave? I saw that Kogan had a kill of a zombie troll in a place with that name, but I've never seen a dwarf with a kill from somewhere besides my fortress.

Blurb

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2008, 11:34:33 am »

Whaddya mean HIS pictures. They're MY PICTURES! MY! THE GLORY SHOULD GO TO ME! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Aheh. Yes, I happen to be a lazy bastard, and two pics/update is like some sort of industrial revolution when it comes to me, so don't get dissappointed once there is a picture lacking here or there.

//Heffa

Vaftrudner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2008, 11:35:45 am »

I like the layout you have for your fortress. It's compact, and... cozy. Yes. Cozy.

Do you think you could upload a save for me to toy around with? I've never embarked on a glacier before, and I'd like to be able to mess around with ice, magma, etc. without having to build up a fortress.

Also... is combinedhells the name of the cave? I saw that Kogan had a kill of a zombie troll in a place with that name, but I've never seen a dwarf with a kill from somewhere besides my fortress.
Sure thing, I don't know where I could upload the save though, but if you have a gmail address or something else that accepts 10+ MiB-files, PM me with it. Oh, and please let me know if you can unpack .7z-files, they have the best compression as far as I know so I prefer them.

Yeah, Combinedhells is the cave. It's a seperate site from the surrounding land, it surprised me a bit too, but since it's the home of the Giant, I guess it's logical.

Spoggerific

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2008, 11:40:25 am »

http://dffd.wimbli.com/index.php is the de facto site where all of the DF saves/mods/what-have-you are uploaded. You could check that out. http://rapidshare.com is another upload site you could use. If neither of those work, my email is

Majoras_NO_SPAM_Mask618(at)gmail.com

Remove the _NO_SPAM_ and change the (at) to the proper symbol.

Thanks for taking the trouble to do so. Also, yeah, I can unpack .7z. I can unpack just about anything; I run Linux. If I can't unpack it, it's just a sudo yum install away.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 11:56:07 am by Spoggerific »

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2008, 11:54:33 am »

This whole thread is a thing of goodness.

Vaftrudner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2008, 11:55:10 am »

http://dffd.wimbli.com/index.php is the de facto site where all of the DF saves/mods/what-have-you are uploaded. You could check that out. http://rapidshare.com is another upload site you could use. If neither of those work, my email is

Majoras_NO_SPAM_Mask618(at)gmail.com

Remove the _NO_SPAM_ and change the (at) to the proper symbol.

Thanks for taking the trouble to do so. Also, yeah, I can unpack .7z. I can unpack just about anything; I run Linux. If I can't unpack it, it's just a sudo yum install away.
I registered at the file depot, as far as I know, only the region5 folder is needed right? Well, here you go:

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=574

Have fun!

Edit: I should add, I'm running under .40c because of the cat bug.

Vaftrudner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2008, 12:24:11 pm »

The state of Catbaldness at the end of year 2,
report by Cog Ònulôsed, magma connoisseur

Ice and magma! Love and devotion! Death and glory! Ice and magma!

Shorast agreed to learn how to use the catapult. Firing at the glacier now, might be a traitor.

New prison looks better than my rooms though. Will have to investigate and bring hurt.

Love to see my little working bees, buzzin' 'n' buzzin'. Graveyard's nice enough, too bad no one wants to live there. Will have to talk to Kogan.

Miners work hard but bring back nothing but silver, lead and silver. Kogan must know.

Vaftrudner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2008, 11:44:21 pm »

?th of ?, as told by a Zombie Giant Cave Swallow

Oh, what a lovely day! Waking up to hear the naked mole dogs running through scales, warming up for the performance later this week, seeing the cave swallowmen performing their free-flowing miasmic somersaults in perfect rhythm, it's the way life should always be.

Talking to the troll, he tells me that he's getting closer to a breakthrough. He's working on a calendar based not on the will of the deities, but on tectonic movements. There's some very complicated trigonometry involved that I simply can't begin to grasp, and he needs time to do his calculations. I hope that it won't interfere with the concert. He's written some rather interesting pieces that expand out of scales, moving into atonality, which reveals itself as a perfect expression of the zombie condition. The dogs will be devastated if he won't be able to practice with them.

This is unbelievable! The swallowmen told me that they heard sounds from the outside, and it seems like something is coming through the walls of the world! This is so exciting, I never doubted for a minute that there were more intelligent civilizations out there!

One of the aliens is approaching the breach! It is so exciting, I marvel at the thought of what grand ideas they may have developed, and if we can only find a means of communicating, there are no words for the benefits we may...

WHAT IS GOING ON? THE ALIEN IS FIRING PROJECTILES! WHY ARE THEY DOING THIS? WHY???

One of the swallowmen is falling down with one of his wings completely mangled, I can't believe this, this must be a nightmare, they.. Oh no, they're expanding the breaches!

NO! PLEASE! NOT THE CHILDREN!!

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2008, 11:55:51 pm »

POOOOR QUEEEE!?

This is brilliant.

Muno syoan

• Bay Watcher
  • Victory dance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2008, 01:58:29 pm »

AHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA

Ahem. This is absolutely hilarious, keep it up!
The use of violence is justified only under a tyranny which makes reforms without violence impossible, and should have only one aim, that is, to bring about a state of affairs which makes reforms without violence possible.
-- Karl Popper, The Open Society

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2008, 02:17:53 pm »

A perfect expression of how dwarves treat everything as seen by someone else.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8