Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Zombie Troll  (Read 65278 times)

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
Re: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Zombie Troll
« Reply #90 on: October 11, 2008, 06:23:19 pm »

Hmm. Theoretically an infinite-water system might be possible, if you can take a reservoir filled to 7/7 water and pump out a small amount of water into a shallow pool outside where it will freeze. A single 7/7 tile can provide water for several shallower tiles, all of which (I believe) will freeze into solid walls of ice, each one being capable of producing a 7/7 tile of water when melted.

SUCK IT LAWS OF THERMODYNAMICS

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 11, 2008, 06:37:47 pm »

Hmm. Theoretically an infinite-water system might be possible, if you can take a reservoir filled to 7/7 water and pump out a small amount of water into a shallow pool outside where it will freeze. A single 7/7 tile can provide water for several shallower tiles, all of which (I believe) will freeze into solid walls of ice, each one being capable of producing a 7/7 tile of water when melted.

Or even better, a system that does not need frozen water.

Alright, so a pump can pump any amount of water, right? And the output is always seven in height, right? So rig a pump loop where the pumps are always pumping up level one water and dumping it in a system where excess water bleeds out of the loop.

SCREW YOU LAW OF CONSERVATION OF MATTER!!!
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 11, 2008, 07:17:08 pm »

this is absolutely fucking hilarious. why does all the best DF stories take place in a glacier?
*ahem*

Boatmurdered did not.

However, I do know of two exceptional stories that do take place on a glacier: Nist Akath, and this.

okay, okay. why does 2 out of 3 of best, be it in hilarity or general awesomeness, dwarf fortress stories, take place on a glacier. what is it about DF that turns people into nitpickers? (myself included)

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 11, 2008, 07:31:50 pm »

I'm not a nitpicker at all. I'm practically the opposite. I build rooms into preexisting structures all the time, usually accidentally. My fort is sprawling and inferiorly built, and I don't nitpick about anything.

Except that you can make prismatic blades out of chert and flint, not just obsidian!!

NOT JUST OBSIDIIIAAAAANNNNNNNN!!!!!

AUGH

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 11, 2008, 08:00:11 pm »

Just takes one person with the stats to go in and edit that, doesn't it?  Fix the melting temps while you're at it, I hate departing in biomes where THE ROCKS MELT when left out in the open.

Vaftrudner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 11, 2008, 10:47:07 pm »

Yeah, I thought about that, but I haven't got any bauxite for mechanisms and very little iron/steel for elaborate magma projects. Besides, I've played about a year from the last update and it's still alternating at 6/7 and 7/7, so I'd say I'm fine for a few years :)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 12, 2008, 01:50:14 am »

I'm not a nitpicker at all. I'm practically the opposite. I build rooms into preexisting structures all the time, usually accidentally. My fort is sprawling and inferiorly built, and I don't nitpick about anything.

Except that you can make prismatic blades out of chert and flint, not just obsidian!!

NOT JUST OBSIDIIIAAAAANNNNNNNN!!!!!

AUGH

ha, if I was any good at making a fortress that wasn't a huge sprawling mess, i would probably be in a position to nitpick. can you change the raws to make flint and chert sharpenable? (or whatever the word is)

Vaftrudner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 16, 2008, 08:09:27 am »

I've decided to end the thread here. This has been a fun experience and with it being my first attempt to write DF, I'm very satisfied. But there is simply no way I can continue writing this because the fortress is doing too good. It's 58 and I'm up at 7 million wealth, and nothing poses any threat whatsoever to me. The goblin sieges are just pathetic, and I don't even use traps. Plus a lot of things didn't turn out the way I needed them to to continue my story. I'll probably come back with something bigger and better though, now that I've had a chance to try it out. Thanks to all you who read and commented this.

Oh by the way, one last picture, big thanks to Raga:

Flar Moonchill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 16, 2008, 10:24:15 am »

Enjoyed it while it lasted matey, good job!
I'll definetly check out while your next story when it's ready!
- If you know what I mean, and I''m sure that you do.

Muno syoan

• Bay Watcher
  • Victory dance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 16, 2008, 06:02:10 pm »

/Applause.
Inspirational stuff Vaftruder, look forward to the next one.
The use of violence is justified only under a tyranny which makes reforms without violence impossible, and should have only one aim, that is, to bring about a state of affairs which makes reforms without violence possible.
-- Karl Popper, The Open Society

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 16, 2008, 06:44:09 pm »

:'(

good on you for making us laugh. come back soon!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 16, 2008, 06:50:30 pm »

I congradulate you on a fortress well done.

I also hope any future endavors don't do so well.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 17, 2008, 04:54:42 am »

Yeah this thread was a great change and a terrific laugh so well done

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 17, 2008, 07:32:34 am »

I liked it while it lasted, especially the brain damaged marksdwarf. :)

Cant wait till the next one!

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 18, 2008, 12:20:08 pm »

*claps*

Well, somebody actually just ending a thread rather than just ignoring it. I hope people take feathers outta your book.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8