Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 57

Author Topic: Back to the dwarf game...  (Read 185254 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Back to the dwarf game...
« on: August 31, 2004, 08:19:00 pm »

There are 79 more tasks left until the dwarf game is complete.  Some of them are rather large.

While I'm working on that, I set up a Dwarf Page with a movie player on it and some movies you can download.  The movie files are fairly large, but the player itself comes with one of a river through the woods, and I've put the movie files in different bundles so you don't need to download the ones you aren't interested in.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Renaxer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Back to the dwarf game...
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2004, 04:41:00 am »

Eh.. what exactly is going on in "humancamps"?
oof
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2004, 05:07:00 am »

That dragon... DAAAAAMN! Is it even possible to win against something wiping out so many troops so quickly? What would happen if say, 2 or maybe even 3 (oh the humanity!) were to attack at the same time?
here is no good or evil, there is only power and those to weak... Who the hell wrote this script! BAH! I''m going to my trailer. *walks off*
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2004, 05:10:00 am »

79 tasks ey? Say, how many tasks do you make per day, since I am like "damn I want to play this"
here is no good or evil, there is only power and those to weak... Who the hell wrote this script! BAH! I''m going to my trailer. *walks off*

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2004, 05:42:00 am »

In human camps, the humans have entered the map and are sieging the dwarf fortress (offscreen to the right).  The first thing they do is chop down trees and make camp fires.

Dragons are hard to kill, but it is possible to kill them with one shot from a crossbow, or one weapon strike, if you are lucky.  It's a bit easier inside where you can subject them to traps and their fire can be stopped by winding corridors.

How many days per task, really...

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2004, 05:59:00 am »

Oooooh traps... that word always makes my day a bit brighter when it comes to strategy games. *curses at those damned trapimmune units in the WC3 map called Minotaurs Maze*

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2004, 05:50:00 pm »

This game looks great.  It's probably also the first ever ASCII game to get FMV previews.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2004, 06:47:00 pm »

He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...

It should be pretty fun though.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2004, 06:55:00 pm »

Oh, I should also say that the movies might be displaying the wrong ascii characters for some people, since I use the higher order ones from 128-255.  I still haven't found a Windows fix for this (although Kevin has for linux).  I'm not sure, but ever since Angband added tile support, it seems they just use their own fonts and render the ascii characters themselves, graphically.  I might end up doing the same thing with Open GL.  It would be a sad day...

Jackalope

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2004, 06:45:00 am »

That movie with the dragon was pretty nifty. Kinda neat to see it slowly approach the army and poof! Bye-bye army.

What's it gonna be like inside the mountain fortress?

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2004, 11:17:00 am »

Two Questions:
1. What is a Jackalope? I remember planet black and white mentioning them in their mailbag.

2. I'm in my teens (19) so does that mean that the game will be realesed when I hit 20 (in less than 10 months)

Jackalope

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2004, 01:43:00 pm »

Behold! Mortal!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2004, 03:42:00 pm »

*Averts his eyes from the glory*

Hell, I think 10 months might be possible.  Who knows anymore...

You mean what's the game gonna be like inside the mountain fortress?  Or what's the dragon gonna be like?  I could make an inside movie.

Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • From a time before a time before time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2004, 07:22:00 pm »

So does this game play out at the speed of those movies??  Can you alter the speed?  Or is it actually turn based?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2004, 08:15:00 pm »

The game looks exactly like the movies (assuming they ran at the proper speed  -- about 10 seconds long).  You can pause the game at any time, but most of the time you'll just want to keep it running.  I've still got to tweak battle options, and things like that -- setting the speed is straight-forward to code (at least making it slower), and it will probably be part of commanding battles if you don't just pause the game outright.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 57