Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 57

Author Topic: Back to the dwarf game...  (Read 185560 times)

Re: Back to the dwarf game...
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2004, 03:50:00 pm »

First of all, thanks for all the detailed answers  :)

Naturally run its course? Well, since there aint nothing left to mine I guess it makes your economy get shot to kingdom come.

I had some suggestions on special gameplay modes, well actually only two. One where you trigger invasions yourself, and no other invasions take place, and the other has unlimited gametime with having sort of special rooms way deep inside the mountain where miners can enter to mine a particular resource type, such as a mine shaft but there is no complicated switching between levels. They enter, stay inside based on their needs and mining skill, and then they come out with resources.

Maybe some sort of extra difficult mode, starting with maybe less resources, maybe a more hostile political climate or something like that.

By the way, how long are each game, say start from scratch til a mapcovering fortress have been achieved?

Now let's mourn the loss of our dear Alizgöhlaliz (the dwarven fisherman in the BigD movie).

here is no good or evil, there is only power and those to weak... Who the hell wrote this script! BAH! I''m going to my trailer. *walks off*

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2004, 12:19:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by The_Ancient_Sleeping_Dude:
<STRONG>Naturally run its course? Well, since there aint nothing left to mine I guess it makes your economy get shot to kingdom come.</STRONG>
I suspect, given the way that he's described it until now, that what really happens is more like a sort of diminishing returns.  The "deeper" (i.e. further right) you go, the nastier the monsters you fight.  Thus, beyond a certain point you'll be worrying less about reaching the last few bits of mithril than you will about the gigantic Balrog-types you're unleashing every time you try to mine for one.

Think of it like Moria from Tolkien's LoTR.  It doesn't really matter whether there's a finite amount of ore or not when trying to mine too deeply invariably kills you.

(That said, I must confess that an infinitely deep mine has a certain attractiveness to it; but I don't see how it could be easily worked into what has been described so far.)

Anyway, maybe we should wait until version 1.0 comes out and we get a chance to play it before we make any more suggestions.  It sounds like he has quite enough on his plate with regards to this game as it is.

[ October 16, 2004: Message edited by: Aquillion ]

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2004, 12:47:00 am »

Yeah, just like the dwarves in Moria, you're going to have to learn to embrace inevitable death.  I have enough little bits planned to make this a not-bad thing though.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2004, 02:05:00 am »

Well, Ive been up for more than a day now, and now comes the part where I ask for a release date, with a semi-joke threath considering whips and what not... but what the heck, I'll skip it for this time, and that's cause I've got coca cola to drink. You dodged a bullet man :P
here is no good or evil, there is only power and those to weak... Who the hell wrote this script! BAH! I''m going to my trailer. *walks off*
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2004, 03:06:00 am »

Actually what I meant by infinite mine can be compared to the gem blocks in DK2, you mine it, and it doesn't run out. But you're right probably, let's wait for release before we start pestering toady with ides on how to change it.

Greenskin13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2004, 10:19:00 am »

quote:
(That said, I must confess that an infinitely deep mine has a certain attractiveness to it; but I don't see how it could be easily worked into what has been described so far.)

Sounds like a good mod to me.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2004, 04:14:00 pm »

Hmm.  Maybe instead of having one infinitely deep mine, you could somehow be able to take a few survivors and supplies from the abandoned ruins of your mined-out first mine, and go set up a second one--in other words, sort of like what happened with regards to Moria in LoTR.

But I'm already going against what I said before, which is that I ought to wait until the game is out before I make suggestions for it.  Oh well.  Throwing out random ideas is fun.

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One
« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2004, 03:19:00 am »

Let's start a betting pool for a release date. I put 50 neopoints on between 20th of January and 20th of February.

Btw waiting for this game has become alot easier for one big reason. I have finally accepted the fact that it might take a while.

[ October 20, 2004: Message edited by: The_Ancient_Sleeping_Dude ]

Aristharus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2004, 07:20:00 am »

20th of January would sound good.

It's my birthday, I turn 19 on that day. What a great possibility to give me a kind of birthday present, eh Toady? *wink wink*

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.
« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2004, 07:38:00 am »

19 I already be, but even my famous patience will bend and break under the pressure if it would have to wait til my birthday, which I wont reveal which date it might be.

X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2004, 08:35:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>There is lots of puttering around.</STRONG>

...you said puttering. Nya!

quote:
Originally posted by The Same Guy:
<STRONG>Each dwarf can be assigned a room.  Non-soldiers get pissed a bit if they don't have one.</STRONG>

Even lowly dwarves complain about barracking?

quote:
Originally posted by Still The Same Idiot:
<STRONG>You can't fill in tunnels exactly as they were before, but you can put up stone supports to block in previously tunneled areas.

The enemy does not have diggers now, since this would essentially ruin the game -- too much depends on the fortress layout, I can't allow it to be altered flippantly.</STRONG>

I'm sure this can be elegantly handled.

quote:
Originally posted by The_Ancient_Sleeping_Dude:
<STRONG>I had some suggestions on special gameplay modes, well actually only two.</STRONG>

I've discussed different modes with the Toad before, and I'm sure we will come to some... arrangement. Much of the rest is covered by this.

quote:
Originally posted by Aquillion:
<STRONG>But I'm already going against what I said before, which is that I ought to wait until the game is out before I make suggestions for it.  Oh well.  Throwing out random ideas is fun.</STRONG>

You're a dangerous man.

quote:
Originally posted by Aristharus:
<STRONG>It's my birthday, I turn 19 on that day. What a great possibility to give me a kind of birthday present, eh Toady? *wink wink*</STRONG>

Ehehe. At any rate guys, we need to peel Toad away from his dooks before we can make good guesses on release dates.

X

[Edit: Formating is fun]

[ October 20, 2004: Message edited by: X ]

« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2004, 09:01:00 am »

dooks? if you mean books, I got an excellent way to peel him away from em. I simply threathen to burn all his books up! MWAHAHAHAHAHA! What? No pyromancy allowed? Fine, I threathen to throw them into my room  :)

I'm sure the bugs and whatnot under my bed would be enlightened by some books to eat. That dog they ate last only made them bark all night, I'd rather have em discuss philosophy or maths.

Handshakes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2004, 01:33:00 pm »

me too.
hy does it hurt when I pee?

Aristharus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2004, 02:04:00 am »

Keep this in mind, guys. Even through we can implore, beg and threaten Toady to tell us an (early) release date and obey it, he's still the one with all the power here.

We don't want to get The Great One angry, do we?

Imagine what horrible things would happen then! No Armok 0.05 or any updates to LCS EVER! No Dwarf Fortress!!1   :eek:

So, let's just wait patiently and hope for the best. And okay, maybe beg him a little not to forget us completely, but...

[ October 22, 2004: Message edited by: Aristharus ]

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.
« Reply #59 on: October 22, 2004, 12:17:00 pm »

I already got one god pissed off at me, I don't think another one will do much difference. I can see a new goal in my life. Piss of as many gods as possible before getting hit by lightning!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 57