Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 57

Author Topic: Back to the dwarf game...  (Read 187980 times)

Re: Back to the dwarf game...
« Reply #120 on: December 02, 2004, 08:45:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>*Averts his eyes from the glory*

Hell, I think 10 months might be possible.  Who knows anymore...

You mean what's the game gonna be like inside the mountain fortress?  Or what's the dragon gonna be like?  I could make an inside movie.</STRONG>

Can we get one of those though?

here is no good or evil, there is only power and those to weak... Who the hell wrote this script! BAH! I''m going to my trailer. *walks off*

Captain_Action

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 04, 2004, 01:49:00 am »

Inside the dragon or the fortress?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #122 on: December 04, 2004, 01:11:00 pm »

The dragon can latch on if it bites and tear off chunks and hurl them, but I don't think it ever actually swallows.  If you move the look cursor over to that spot where it lands, and it isn't a whole limb, it says "Dwarf chunks".

I'm still hanging out around 1135.  I'm going to try to blast through that today.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!
« Reply #123 on: December 05, 2004, 09:36:00 am »

We so need dwarf swallowing dragons. If anything it will cut down the need for tombs...
here is no good or evil, there is only power and those to weak... Who the hell wrote this script! BAH! I''m going to my trailer. *walks off*

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 07, 2004, 06:15:00 am »

Grading exams tomorrow.  The quarter is drawing to a close.  1127 now.  It's all pretty slowing going down through the mid-low 900s.  Then it might speed up a bit for a while, until it grinds to a halt near the end.  90/10 rule?

Captain_Action

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 07, 2004, 09:18:00 am »

Sewage systems? Will we be forced to deal with it?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 07, 2004, 12:17:00 pm »

There are no plans to add "night soil".  Dwarves poop little pebbles which seemlessly disappear into the cavern floor, or they collect them and cherish them or something.

Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • From a time before a time before time
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 07, 2004, 05:19:00 pm »

It's definately sand!    :D

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 08, 2004, 01:34:00 am »

Dwarves can use sand and potash to make clear glass, or just sand to make green class (they can also use rock crystal to make crystal glass I think).

I guess dwarf poop sand would make brown glass.

« Reply #129 on: December 08, 2004, 07:43:00 am »

Will there be greater evils in the game? No puny ones such as "orcs" or "goblins" or "imps" or small stuff like that, I'm talking maybe a Greater Balrog leading an army of maybe 30-40 lesser ones?

Is there some sort of extra evil faction? Sure, Sauron was evil and wanted to conquer it all, but I'm talking pure evil that will turn the entire world (starting with the dwarf fortress so they wont have time to build to a great demon army) into a black ashfilled place of eternal misery for the few things left alive?

And will there alignment of some kind? Can you perhaps be dark dwarves whom occasionally let's the weaker or greater evils pass through your lands or maybe even help them with warriors/supplies?

Will there be any "good" invaders? Maybe a dozen or two ents? Maybe an army of High Elves? (btw, does LotR have that distiction between elves, or is it just good or dark elves?)

And here are 3 mini questions for you. Out of the 79 tasks, which did you finish last, which are you working on now, and which will be the next one? Not asking for the number, more like the topic.

And will there be cookies?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 08, 2004, 02:11:00 pm »

Yeah.

Different things, anyway.

Not as a default.

If you mess up.  Tolkien had many distinct elves, based on which leader they followed and whether they saw some special shiny trees in the west.

I just finished trade agreements, am working on human diplomacy and some diplomacy bugs, and will be moving on to world events gandalfy diplomacy.

Probably cookies -- right now there are meat, fish, cheese, biscuits, stew, mushrooms, sugar, syrup...  and lots of other things.  Things like biscuits that are made from the other things are just names on top of the food item that is made by the cook, so cookies and whatever else can be thrown in rapidly as pointless game bloating.

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 08, 2004, 08:34:00 pm »

are there llama's implimented into the game, and if not, will there be?

i just want to have llama riding, dwarven knights.

Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • From a time before a time before time
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 09, 2004, 12:50:00 am »

So, this game is sounding really detailed.  Does one instruct each dwarf on matters?  make a list of things you want done?  Very abstract like "60% focused on making money, 20% military training, 20% digging?"

I think in a movie it showed the placement of a building site.  Will the dwarves do things like make sleeping quarters out of empty rooms for themselves?

Can we get a new movie or two?   :D

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 09, 2004, 03:19:00 am »

I was thinking of having pandas.  Some of the humans could bring them.  Panda Papanda Kopanda!  Panda Papanda Kopanda!

I've been too lazy working on the game to record more movies, since X wants me to make the new compression format first and that'll take a few hours to finalize.  What else is there to see?  All the stuff I'm doing now is so dry, and none of the interfaces are final.

It's very micromanagey right now -- you give the dwarves professions and make buildings, and give the buildings jobs (or assign general jobs which the game assigns to free buildings).  The buildings then grab dwarves that are free to do work.  It seems to work out, but it'll probably undergo significant changing before it sees the light of day.  If dwarves are left to their own devices, they just eat, drink and chat in the meeting halls, or mill around by the gate.  I don't have them working on their own because resources are scarce and you'll want to probably allocate them in your own way.  Nothing final though.

Dwarves prefer to sleep in beds in rooms of their own, but they don't require it (unless they are nobles, etc.).  You can make a barracks-type room with a bunch of beds, then they'll go for those.  Otherwise they'll just crash on the floor, and get angry about it.  They also hate to be rudely awakened by other dwarves working nearby.  I don't remember what else.  They prefer to eat in chairs at tables, they don't like sharing tables but they will, and they really hate having to eat without furniture.  If both of their arms are broken and they can't pick up the food and they eat it off the ground they get really pissed, but that shouldn't happen so much once I put the care-for-the-wounded code in.

« Reply #134 on: December 09, 2004, 03:54:00 am »

So add female nurse dwarves for those dwarves who got both their arms broken... I blame the kobolds, who else would rob the dwarves off their ability to drink straight out of the coca cola bottle? Oh wait, thats me that drinks that way, I mean. I blame the kobolds, who else would rob the dwarves off their ability to drink straight out of the coca cola bottle? Oh wait, that's WAIT A MINUTE! Ok, last try! Who else would rob the dwarves of their ability to drink straight out of the wine bottle? Now there better be wine in the game, cause I'm out of talking attempts!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 57