Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 57

Author Topic: Back to the dwarf game...  (Read 187737 times)

Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • From a time before a time before time
    • View Profile
Re: Back to the dwarf game...
« Reply #240 on: March 12, 2005, 02:25:00 pm »

I guess I didn't.  I had to edit it to keep the whole quote from being bold.  So of those 79 or whatever things, how many remain?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #241 on: March 12, 2005, 03:42:00 pm »

57, but most of the hard ones have been dispatched.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Captain_Action

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: March 12, 2005, 05:37:00 pm »

Not much powergaming lately. Perhaps, I should get back to my necromutated troll archmage in CRAWL.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 12, 2005, 08:12:00 pm »

Speaking of power-gaming, a new sub game has been posted, dedicated to the memory of my rats who have died recently.  It is about feeding and protecting helpless creatures.

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 13, 2005, 12:48:00 pm »

was this (Squiggles.) games style influenced by any other games, possibly?
it reminds me of a game from my childhood that i can't quite place my finger on.

though, it must be said that rats scare me somewhat.

[ March 13, 2005: Message edited by: Silleh Boy ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 13, 2005, 03:35:00 pm »

I didn't have anything in mind, but I played lots of games growing up, so it might be the case...  The squiggles bouncing around make it look kind of like that sink game, whatever it was.

Ancient_Sleeping_Dude_Rei

« Reply #246 on: March 17, 2005, 01:44:00 am »

I know what it is! I'm on to your evil plans toadyone! The squiggles game was clearly an alpha-alpha test for Dwarf Fortress 2: Digitally Remixed!!! The digging for food was really for metals, the moving things are really dwarves in mech suits, and the lavas are balrogs that got crushed into the earth and just kept burning but are now unable to move! I'm on to you... *is watching you*  :eek:

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 17, 2005, 07:29:00 pm »

i think Ancient's a genius!
not only did he miss the mark, but he missed the mark by several miles!
the moving things are the balrogs, and they're being eaten by the dwarves in the glowing red pits of course!
and the digging thing was a bug, but toady calls it a integral game feature because we're none the wiser!

maybe i shouldn't encourage him like this..

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 17, 2005, 09:38:00 pm »

Clearly I wouldn't have balrogs in any game, for copyright reasons.  Although I noticed that diablo 2 has a weapon called a "balrog spear".  Maybe the tolkien heirs should sueify them.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: March 21, 2005, 12:23:00 am »

Persistent bugs and things have kept it back, but it is at 783 and continuing to slog.

Ancient_Sleeping_Dude_Rei

« Reply #250 on: March 21, 2005, 02:11:00 am »

I think it's kinda safe to use Balrogs actually... just look at the 100s of muds and rouge games that have em... I don't think any lawyers would bother suing just you if they haven't sued all those others yet... just slap a "balrogs is a copyright of blablablawhoever" at the bottom of the readme or something...

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 21, 2005, 03:14:00 am »

I don't think it's worth the risk, though.

I know that ADOM got in trouble over something like that (hobbits, I think), so they do keep an eye on many roguelike-style freeware games and such.

[ March 21, 2005: Message edited by: Aquillion ]

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 21, 2005, 03:47:00 am »

Well, if people have preferences about what they want things to be called, I can just stick many of the common words in a file.  Human, elf, whatever.  I don't want to use the words balrog or mithril myself, although this game is certainly Tolkien inspired.

Captain_Action

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 21, 2005, 01:14:00 pm »

yeah, ADOM had to rename them migits or something.

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 22, 2005, 10:50:00 am »

you don't have to give the metal they mine an exact name, you could use some kind of general reference to it, such as mercury is sometimes reffered to as quick silver, iron pyrites as fools gold and so forth.

i believe they also reffered to mithril as true silver in something. not certain if it's LoTR or one of the games inspired by it, but, you could always say that the metal they're mining is high quality iron that they turn into their own blend of steel. thus you have dwarven steel, that's always known to be 'higher quality' than other races in every other game it's in.

as for the demons, you could always use existing demon names from whatever folk lore - celtic or norse ones maybe, to be slightly different from the vast arrays of hebrew esque names that you get in some games, from random name generators.

as for ADOM though, i believe they called them hurthlings, and you could get hurthling cakes. a typical one was sweet. a blessed one was sickly sweet and a cursed one was real hurthling (what the trolls loved.)

i used to like ADOM, but i seem to suck at rogue likes, as the only ones i've ever completed are ToME, using a possessor deathmold in the watcher of the waters body or some such, and some other random ones that are less note worthy.

oh, one thought that i did have though is, golems. would the dwaves be able to make some such thing as them, and give you some kind of parts customisation option so you could have say, a number of custom made golems guarding your miners to take the brunt of any unleashed horrors while you bring your guards to take them down?

eh. maybe not, i just like the idea of being able to craft additional support when you can spare the resources.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 57