Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 57

Author Topic: Back to the dwarf game...  (Read 188045 times)

Aristharus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Back to the dwarf game...
« Reply #555 on: April 18, 2006, 12:44:00 am »

I'd love to donate, but I haven't really got any means to do so. I don't have a credit card, a paypal-account or anything else that would help.

What if you'd put some subtle ads on the page? A similarly colored google ad on the bottom of the main page? I don't think that would bother anyone, and this way we who can't send our money to you could click them once a visit or so. I don't know how popular the site is, but I'm sure that would get you some money anyway.

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #556 on: April 18, 2006, 01:35:00 am »

I'd rather stay away from the ads and all that if possible.  The support link isn't a matter of desperation at this point, but just a means for people to contribute to something I think is interesting, rather than paying fifty bucks for the right to own some rehashed crap.  For people that don't have credit cards or anything like that, just keep playing the games as they come out and let me know what you think.

The dwarves plan page has been updated.  Got through two Reqs today, and I should be getting on to fire soon.  That will keep me entertained.

I baked a pizza today for my birthday cake.  My brother gave me a bunch of Ray Harryhausen DVDs, and my parents gave me an animal book.  Righteous.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Aristharus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: April 18, 2006, 02:01:00 am »

I guessed that. I'll definitely continue playing the games, but I would've loved to help you financially, too, even a little bit.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: April 18, 2006, 02:11:00 am »

I can't think of anything I want to advertise...  the Art Bell show maybe...

Aristharus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: April 18, 2006, 02:28:00 am »

I'd also want to see what Google Ads would choose to advertise on for example the Dwarf Fortress page or the LCS page. They often provide comical results.

But otherwise I don't know if it matters what the ads are. It's not like anyone's really gonna read them, be they about the Art Bell show or Liberal Dwarves or anything..

I wouldn't care what the ads were about, but I do see your point, too.

[ April 18, 2006: Message edited by: Aristharus ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: April 18, 2006, 02:47:00 am »

I think the subgames preclude me from signing up for ad services anyway.  Something about...  "mature" content...

DungeonHunter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://home.arcor.de/dungeonhunter/Screens/
« Reply #561 on: April 18, 2006, 06:30:00 am »

Might be one day late, but anyway HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I've got no credit card or even some left-over money, but I'll try to be supportive though.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: April 18, 2006, 11:19:00 am »

He he he, we can all be broke together!

After all this code rewriting, the building interfaces are trashed, not that they weren't already trashy.  So I'm going to work on them a bit.  Then there are a few save/load issues.  After that I get to compile it and run it and see...   what I see.  There will probably be some time spent fixing bugs and getting it to work smoothly again.  Once the dwarves are happy, I'll set them on fire in various ways.

Gezol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: April 18, 2006, 02:40:00 pm »

I'm a day late also, but yeah, happy birthday! I just sent you a little something through Paypal.

On the birthday subject, I've decided that since my birthday is only like eight days after when Dwarf Fortress is released, I'm going to refrain from downloading it until then. Assuming I can stand it, anyway...

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: April 18, 2006, 02:58:00 pm »

He he he.  The release date is Zonk's birthday, and my brother's birthday is three days before.  Maybe we should declare a party month or something.  I guess it will be a party month by default anyway, since I've been working on this thing on and off for 4 years.

Thanks for the birthday present!  Thanks also to the other Bay 12 regulars who have contributed.  I checked my account, and Paypal seems to be working.  It isn't taking much of a cut, which is good...  I guess all credit card transactions usually have some small fee associated to them that is passed along to the "vendor" (me in this case).

I have to leave to hold office hours (the Spring final exams are in three weeks or so).   Then I'll try to get all this building interface code sorted out.  If I can finish that tonight, I'll be happy, but it might take a few more days.  The save bugs are kind of mind-bending, since it has to keep a lot of things straight, but there aren't many of them (that I've found), so that'll just be a few days as well.  I'm looking forward to the burnings...  maybe dwarves burn faster, because of the beards, or something.  Like Santa.

Aristharus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: April 19, 2006, 05:20:00 am »

"Bloat75: Minor punishments like fines and beard shaving."

MINOR punishments? You'd think shaving the beard would be the harshest and most barbaric punishment ever imaginable for a dwarf...

Ancient_Sleeping_Dude_Rei

« Reply #566 on: April 19, 2006, 06:54:00 am »

Of course it's a minor punishment. Now cutting off the hair on your toes and feet. That's a major punishment!!!

Aristharus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: April 19, 2006, 07:19:00 am »

No. That's a halfling or something...

I think for a dwarf, cutting off the toes and feet itself would be minor compared to shaving the beard...

[ April 19, 2006: Message edited by: Aristharus ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: April 19, 2006, 10:26:00 am »

Maybe the word "minor" is off...  but the only current punishments are imprisonment and being chained up and beaten with a hammer.

Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • From a time before a time before time
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: April 19, 2006, 04:33:00 pm »

Maybe if the hammerer picked the place to be smashed more...  intelligently...  it'd work as a minor punishment too.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 57