Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Selling stolen cars/getting stuff from people  (Read 3027 times)

Gruegirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Selling stolen cars/getting stuff from people
« on: August 31, 2007, 06:27:00 pm »

Okay, two ideas. One is another funding source by selling stolen cars... I often end up with more cars then I need after loosing a safehouse.

Second, how come nobody I recruit HAS a car? sure they might be easier to trace (not really if you apply a stolen liscence plate to them) but if I make a CEO of a  corperation or an anchorman or a radio personality my love slave... they should give me their car... and their money actually...

[ August 31, 2007: Message edited by: Gruegirl ]

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
Re: Selling stolen cars/getting stuff from people
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 08:03:00 pm »

I agree with both of these suggestions, although there is the balance question. If you recruit a CEO, they probably have a *lot* of money. How are you going to give the squad the CEO's money without dramatically unbalancing the game?

Perhaps each character could have a "finances" stat and have them slowly funnel money to your squad based on their financial situation. I'm not sure I like that though, really. But maybe if there was a check on seduction recruiting -- for example, if each character could only have one or two "love slave" recruits, and they couldn't be promoted, for example. Maybe it's dependent on a "seduction" skill (which is not yet in the game, but is on the to do list). CEOs can only be recruited by brainwashing or seduction, for example, and if seduction is limited then the main way to get them would be kidnapping. Perhaps their finances stat could be set to zero if they're reported as missing, because they can't go back and access their money anymore without being caught and rehabilitated.

Gruegirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 09:09:00 pm »

Well the finance stat idea might work if it could only apply to brainwashed/love slaves for the most part and have like a 1/50 chance per day to work on everyone else (just in case your volenteers decide to donate some money your way)

How about limiting the number of love-slaves via the seduction skill. (IE only one love slave for every 2 points of seduction) because some people are juuuuust sexy enough to attract a harem.

And speaking of harems. I've noticed that gender does not matter at all, anyone can seduce anyone (if they've got the stats) and anyone can wear any clothing without penalties (IE brainwashed cops in dresses)

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 01:42:00 am »

People recruited on the issues are pretty poor anyway, actually, and could just be given a finance stat of 0 universally. Anybody with actual savings would be among those who just say "no" and turn away when you try to discuss the issues. Your idea on the number of love slaves being based on the character's seduction skill is pretty much how I envisioned tying the two, though I like the idea of 1 love slave for every 2 points of seduction better than I like the idea of 1 for every 1 point of skill, which is what I was thinking initially. Seduction/dating could be used by others (without free love slave slots) to get money or uniforms or weapons or whatever from the people seduced, rather than recruiting them, or just to practice seduction skill to get enough to recruit with it (so seducing hippies wouldn't give you any loot, but you'd still get safe skill practice).

Edit: LCS doesn't have any notion of gender at all, actually. The first names give the illusion of gender, but in reality they're all drawn from one big mixed list, which is carefully balanced for equal numbers of male and female names.

[ September 01, 2007: Message edited by: Jonathan S. Fox ]

Gruegirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007, 02:02:00 pm »

Well in certain aspects the gender-less LCS makes sense in that the LCS is trying to promote equality...

Still I think having brainwashed cops with macho names in cheap-prostitute dresses is kinda funny

Oh and one quick question, Does the Mithril-mail actually provide any degree of protection?

[ September 01, 2007: Message edited by: Gruegirl ]

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007, 02:25:00 pm »

Absolutely none. You'll live longer wearing clothes.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 01:34:00 pm »

what about trenchcoats? do they protect you?
in general is there any difference between the outfits armorwise. If not, do you plan on adding it?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 12:04:00 am »

Yes, trenchcoats protect you. Most forms of clothing are identical, trenchcoats are a little more effective than most. The body armor worn by true soldiers and SWAT teams is the best, though, but you need to kill them to get it, and the easiest way to do that is in a raid. Body armor is specific to versions 3.10 and up, and is non-obvious -- if you wear a Police Uniform around people whose uniform is Police Body Armor, they won't know the difference, it'll just be a question of how much protection you have compared to them.

Gruegirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 01:56:00 pm »

Every once in a while you can date a SWAT officer or a Mercenary in an area that generates people 100% randomly (IE the coffee shops, and the police station) and you can get armor and advanced weapons that way.