Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: If you could have one SMALL thing in DF...  (Read 6751 times)

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: If you could have one SMALL thing in DF...
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2008, 08:34:13 am »

My vote is for megabeasts arriving more frequently

more critter spawns in general would be nice, especially for those whos computers can handle it :)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2008, 09:02:37 am »

I just thought of something - some sort of system to make assigning beds less painful. The reason is that I like to have my military dwarves all sleep in their own rooms which are all together near the barracks near the entrance so they're ready for combat when needed (still got to get them their own dining room). Anyway, whenever deaths happen and new recruits are needed, it's always a huge pain de-assigning them from their old rooms and getting them into the barracks rooms. I have no idea how this could be made easier, but something along those lines would be nice.

Actually, I just now thought of something bigger. It's probably coming in the army arc, along with individual equipment assigning screens for each dwarf, but when I'm looking at the expanded lists of weapons/armor (or anything for that matter), if it's in a dwarf's inventory or on a dwarf, I would love to see that listed. This would make it way easier to figure out just who has all my plate mail or picks than "c"ing on each dwarf, opening the list again, searching for the next item...over and over..
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Mondark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2008, 10:07:31 am »

I would really like to see 3 dimensional designations.  It would work just like the current ones, but the selection rectangle becomes a block that can cross Z-Levels.  That way it'd be easier to say, chop down every last tree, or make a mining shaft, or fancy 3d rooms.  This also seems like a small enough change that it wouldn't take too long to make, after all, you can already change Z-Levels while designating.
Fefeshnelmargalip

chewd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2008, 03:40:28 pm »

I want this in the ini file

Pause on finding new vein [OFF]
Pause on childbirth [Off]
Pause on seiges [ON]
Pause on immigration waves [ON]
Pause on trade caravan arrival [ON]
Pause on fey moods [OFF]
Pause on fey mood building seizure [OFF]
Pause on fey mood conclusion [ON]

Pie

• Bay Watcher
  • Winner of the "most disturbing avatar" award.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2008, 06:13:54 pm »

I think "better" traps would be awesome. As in if a goblin snatcher sees your traps and escapes, the next goblin siege should be careful around where the snatcher saw (even if you have removed the traps in the meantime). So like they move way more slowly, but hardly ever trigger the traps. Then you could have it so that if they are in combat they can get killed by the traps as per usual (as their attention is taken up with fighting). What this would mean is that a badly designed trap corridor would merely slow down sieges, making a military far more important.

Also, on a sort of related note, the ability for intelligent creatures to take time to destroy the traps or buildings (perhaps with torches or something)

Login

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2008, 07:10:11 pm »

No imigration until I'm ready for them to much imigration can kill your fortress. So imigration on/off.
A new building the imigration customs building.  ::)

A new building to allow guards to guard the entrace of a coridor or entrance. I know you can use patrol points. But it would be nice to use a building to guard weak spots in your fortress. A more automatic proces. 

neek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2008, 07:16:15 pm »

I would like to automate soldiers, so that they can be on-duty for X-time, off duty X-time, rather than having to manually put them on and off...

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2008, 08:19:54 pm »

No imigration until I'm ready for them to much imigration can kill your fortress. So imigration on/off.
A new building the imigration customs building.
You could have it as part of the dwarven liason interview.
"Are you ready for more citizens yet?"
Yes, that wouldn't stop immigrants in reality, but you don't have to stop, dick with the init file, then start again.

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2008, 01:48:56 am »

One small thing? "keep searching" or "search from cursor" control in the site finder, so I can cycle through all matches to my criteria.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2008, 05:13:20 am »

The key word here is "small".

My small suggestion?  That statues automatically have engraving-like descriptions, instead of being amorphous blobs.  Wouldn't even need tweaking, just copy over the engraving code.  Obviously, it's an idea that could be expanded on tremendously, but isn't as important as just having statues of things in the first place.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2008, 04:44:24 pm »

likely this will be implemented at the same time as engraved blocks

Dolohov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2008, 10:30:25 pm »

The ability to either hide vomit or mark it as "clean it now, you nasty nasty dwarfs!"

Omath Erius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2008, 10:38:24 pm »

-In-game options menu.
Essentially the Init, except in-game.

-Ability to speed up/slow down time while playing, to accomodate for the inevitable FPS drop.

Crap, only one allowed.
fhalkgsuehgvnl gherghlirhb

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2008, 12:30:32 am »

The key word here is "small".

My small suggestion?  That statues automatically have engraving-like descriptions, instead of being amorphous blobs.  Wouldn't even need tweaking, just copy over the engraving code.  Obviously, it's an idea that could be expanded on tremendously, but isn't as important as just having statues of things in the first place.

Seconded, though it would make it killer to get a matching set of statuary for your entrance hallway for all of us OCD DF players.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2008, 02:11:39 am »

And don't forget, those bars aren't "bars" as we think of them.  They're more like whole bundles of bars.
And it still takes 9 of them to make one suit of plate armor.

And if you melt that suit of armor back down again you only get three bars out of it. In fact, make this one my vote; allow realistic recycling of metals. I hate wasting valuable non-renewable resources unless I absolutely have to, so my fortresses will frequently wind up with vast stockpiles of bars stacked to the ceiling and my military dressed almost entirely in purchased or captured equipment. Used to be the same for gemstones until I discovered gem windows.

Sure, this could result in metal crafters just practicing endlessly by melting and recasting until they get everything just right. But this generally requires charcoal so it's no worse than building vast quantities of wooden furniture to throw away as well.

One other small thing, while I'm on the subject of throwing wood away; the ability to designate an object to be set on fire. There are so many wonderful possibilities for fun that would be opened up that way. Moats filled with old beds and barrels of booze, execution chambers that asphyxiate with smoke, grass fires to sweep away entire sieges (and clean up the silk socks in the process).
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6