Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: If you could have one SMALL thing in DF...  (Read 6752 times)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: If you could have one SMALL thing in DF...
« Reply #75 on: October 16, 2008, 09:51:29 am »

I'd like the ability to mass-select in lists.

That way I could highlight a bunch of dwarves at once and then activate them, or a bunch of <narrow iron low boots> and then melt them. It'd be especially handy with the trading screen, so I don't have to go through all the left-over goblin clothing one by one, hitting enter each time, to get rid of all the useless junk my siegers leave behind for me.

My solution for the dwarves was to set up civilian squads.  They activate by groups.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 16, 2008, 12:19:32 pm »

I think I've changed my mind on mine.  I want the ability to make lower-quality items.  It's a bitch and a half to make low-rent rooms for your poorer dwarves when ALL NINE OF YOUR MASONS ARE LEGENDARY.

Yes, I have nine masons for building projects, and yes, all nine are legendary, largely due to said building projects.

I'd like the ability to mass-select in lists.

That way I could highlight a bunch of dwarves at once and then activate them, or a bunch of <narrow iron low boots> and then melt them. It'd be especially handy with the trading screen, so I don't have to go through all the left-over goblin clothing one by one, hitting enter each time, to get rid of all the useless junk my siegers leave behind for me.

You can do so with the stocks screen, and stockpiles can help speed up the selection process for trading.

From the stocks screen, you can designate all items of a certain material and type for melting all at once.  So if all your soldiers are wearing greaves, for example, you can go and mass-designate all the leggings on the stocks screen for melting.  It doesn't really help much for stuff that both goblins and your dwarves use (most likely low boots), but it helps with armor, weapons, and ammunition.

For the "useless junk", you can set up Finished Goods stockpiles that only accept head/hand/leg/footwear and "armor" made of silk, cloth, and leather.  You'll still have a bunch of stuff to designate for trading, but you'll be doing it by the 25-item binful instead of one (narrow cave spider silk codpiece) at a time.

These aren't perfect substitutes for what you say you want, but they'll work as stopgaps in the meantime ;D
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 16, 2008, 12:23:57 pm »

set one of the masonry workshops to disallow anyone over competent, and add masonry to another dwarf for a bit- bam, lower-quality items.
<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 16, 2008, 01:08:01 pm »

Yes, but A) it's a PitA to do that, and B) you're going to have to keep finding new guys to use, because they stop consistant no-tag production fairly quickly.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 16, 2008, 01:42:54 pm »

I think I've changed my mind on mine.  I want the ability to make lower-quality items.  It's a bitch and a half to make low-rent rooms for your poorer dwarves when ALL NINE OF YOUR MASONS ARE LEGENDARY.

Yes, I have nine masons for building projects, and yes, all nine are legendary, largely due to said building projects.

The problem there is the fact that the economy is broken and doesn't take supply into account. I think fixing that, or simply using ZERO_RENT, would be a better solution to this problem. Also, I really don't think it's very dwarvenly to make shoddy items intentionally. Those guys would end up being the used car salesmen of the DF world, if you get my drift.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 16, 2008, 02:22:54 pm »

Well yeah, but "fixing the economy" is a bit bigger in scope than "one SMALL thing" ;)

And I know that setting zero rent would work, but I really dislike modding.  It's not about being some sort of purist or anything, but when modding, I tend to screw things up.  And yes, there was an incident involving the equivalent of changing a "yes" to a "no" :-[

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 16, 2008, 02:35:46 pm »

I'm saying that the "one small thing" is unnecessary since it's not really *that* small in the first place, and the fact that it would be intended to fix a single problem which has an easy workaround in the init file.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #82 on: October 16, 2008, 04:20:10 pm »

Toss up between these:
  • Making the Forbid options in the Orders menu significantly clearer -it's not immediately obvious whether 'Claim such and such' indicates that it's already set to claim it or if that's what pressing the button will do, and this is really not something you want to figure out by trial and error- and/or saving said orders in an init file so the user can set the defaults to their liking and have them stay the same for each new fortress.
  • Separate menus for primary and secondary weapons, enabling marksdwarves to carry something a bit more useful in melee combat. (An interim workaround of which I'm quietly proud may be viewed here.)
  • Making reactions possible in the kiln and the Alchemist's lab, with appropriate job description tree alterations, for which there would be uses from pottery crafts to Dwarven Nuclear Weapons.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]