Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Medical skill?  (Read 993 times)

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Medical skill?
« on: September 13, 2004, 04:02:00 pm »

It might be nice to see some sort of medical skill in LCS.  This skill would have two main effects:

First, it could be used from a base in lieu of going to the hospital.  To do this, you'd have to order someone with the skill to apply it on someone else at their location; the person recieving treatment would have their action set to "recieve medical treatment" and wouldn't be able to do anything else or the treatment would fail.

Second, while "in the field", the medical skill of the most skilled person in your squad would automatically used to try and stop bleeding.  However, people who themselves have horrible injuries do not count for this calculation; you can't patch up anyone's arm when your own is bleeding stump.

Additional potental effects might include a bonus to executions and brainwashing for very high medical values, or a bonus to fast-talk/disguise attempts while in a medical environment, like a lab.

Finally, syringes and similar implements might be classified as "medical" weapons, allowing you to use your medical skill instead of the appropriate weapons skill.

(Incidently, that fast-talk/disguise bonus made me realize that other skills ought to give such bonuses in their appropriate environments, too--e.g. a high Law could make it easier to infiltrate a courthouse or talk your way past the police.)

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Medical skill?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2004, 05:29:00 pm »

He he -- yeah, reminds me of the movies...  you should be able to patch people up, at least if they aren't gut shot or something like that.  Then I can add all kinds of fantastic B-movie lines...  "DON'T YOU DIE ON ME!"
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!