Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: The forum is changing in a bad way?  (Read 8849 times)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
The forum is changing in a bad way?
« on: September 25, 2008, 08:33:03 am »

Ok people, I am just wondering about the following: Anyone else has noticed that we have more and more "trollish/spammerish" threads/posts created in the last few weeks? It's ok if we have some funny topics, so people can mess around and have fun in those, but I think that this behaviour is getting out of hands nowadays. I won't mention any names or topics of course. I dont even want to mention that most of the new users just wont even use the search feature, so basically we see similar topics being created continuously...I am also finding it weird that some people just registered a couple of weeks ago, created like 40 topics already, and most of those topics are making no sense at all.
I think that we could use some moderators on this forum, since Toady has no time to check out everything.
..but of course maybe I am just overreacting this.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 08:45:04 am by Tormy »

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
Re: This forum is changing in a bad way?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 08:37:22 am »

No updates = not a whole lot to talk about in this subforum.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: This forum is changing in a bad way?
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 08:44:50 am »

No updates = not a whole lot to talk about in this subforum.

Nono, I meant that the whole forum is changing, not only this subforum... :)

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
Re: The forum is changing in a bad way?
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 09:03:14 am »

Then that I disagree with. The other forums are fine. This one is plagued by spam/trolls, though.

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 09:07:25 am »

Then that I disagree with. The other forums are fine. This one is plagued by spam/trolls, though.

Various nonsense forum...

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 11:11:28 am »

It's inevitable as DF gets more popular that people are going to start whining about how the forum goes downhill

same thing happens with every phenomenon ever that starts out in a niche and gradually get more known
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 11:17:56 am »

I'd have to say that I've also been noticing changes for the worse.  But so far, it's all been a matter of personal opinion, and thus can't really be moderated with any real justice.

People just seem to be getting stupider and gruntier.  Why does Firefox recognize "stupider" as a word?

Again, personal opinion.  And I'm paranoid about this sort of thing anyways, so I'm probably overreacting as well.

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 11:22:59 am »

I've only been watching a couple of threads lately, so I can't really judge for the meaningless topics . . . probably more new users.

As far as not using the search feature, I'm sure that a lot of the new users like having the opportunity to rehash old ideas and work out their own perspectives.  More power to them, as far as I'm concerned . . . it can be irritating to see the same old things over and over, but if there's no new new news, old news is new news :D

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 11:24:08 am »

I think we just need to get the newcomers acclimated to how we do things here. You know, friendly reminders to clean up their language, use the search function, stuff like that.

Usually, they'll either get used to how things are done or move on.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

TheDeadlyShoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Blog not found
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 12:05:31 pm »

I don't think so, I think it's just Backintheday syndrome. ;)
Lord have mercy and let me not throw up in this space helmet.

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 12:09:28 pm »

Speaking as a relative newcomer, this is by far the best forum I have ever found on the Net.  Leetspeak and chanspeak is thankfully scarce here.

The only issue I've noticed lately is that Various Nonsense seems to be the Official Roll To Dodge forum in the past few weeks, but I can overlook that.

FunnyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 12:18:49 pm »

I don't think so, I think it's just Backintheday syndrome. ;)

QFT (and mindful of the irony therein)

It's just nostalgia kicking in.  You remember the good times and forget the bad.
Beta Tester's Motto: Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

DR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2008, 12:56:25 pm »

Mm, yeah. Personally I don't think this forum has ever really been especially good, outside of giving Dwarf Fortress advice. For ages now (since September 2006 even) it's had this sort of pervading core of sycophants and people that consider the "dwarf jokes" (Urist McUristurist, menaces with spikes of awesome, etc) to be the height of wit.

I don't know how Toady puts up with all the verbal fellation that gets thrown at him, honestly.

Xehon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2008, 01:08:37 pm »

Hey people, you're taking this the wrong way. What we're seeing here is DF developing its own /b/! Think of the sheer raw impulsive force such a thing could bring to bear once its fully developed. We could change the face of the gaming culture forever. Within months the complexity, depth and gameplay of DF would be the norm in all big titles. Sure we would lose all the intellectual capacity and potential behind DF, but..

"You gotta breaks some eggs to make an omelet"

I know that this "the end justifies the means"-stuff had a bad side, but I can't remember it. I mean, It worked for Stalin when he brought forth the communist paradise that was the Soviet Union and it worked for Hitler when he made the world a better place for everyone, eh?

Spoggerific

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2008, 01:42:35 pm »

It seems to me that it's a bit more like The September that never ended. It's not as bad as you guys think, but I have noticed a slight decrease in quality recently.

The forum will probably eventually need moderation beyond what Toady can provide. I'm not sure when that time will come, or how Toady will choose mods... I, personally, hope it doesn't come. This forum has been slipping *slightly* recently, but as others have said, it's still probably one of the best online communities I've ever seen. The xkcd forums are a close second.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9