Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: The forum is changing in a bad way?  (Read 8798 times)

Sareth

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the lever.
    • View Profile
Re: The forum is changing in a bad way?
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2008, 02:08:17 pm »

Don't complain about people cursing when you're playing a game that involves gouging out the eyes of babies.

EDIT: BUT I THINK THE CAPS LOCKS PROBLEM IS ALL TIBBLES FAULT.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 02:10:52 pm by Sareth »

John Johnston

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrescuable aspie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2008, 02:17:15 pm »

I don't know how Toady puts up with all the verbal fellation that gets thrown at him, honestly.

It's only 'cause he's too far away for the other kind...

...what?  ;D
Oh
God it's been a lovely day
Everything's been going my way
I had so much fun today
And I'm on fire

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2008, 02:54:20 pm »

I'd have to say that I've also been noticing changes for the worse.  But so far, it's all been a matter of personal opinion, and thus can't really be moderated with any real justice.

People just seem to be getting stupider and gruntier.  Why does Firefox recognize "stupider" as a word?

Again, personal opinion.  And I'm paranoid about this sort of thing anyways, so I'm probably overreacting as well.

Yeah, same here, this was my personal opinion. The forum's atmosphere is not the same as it was before...but again ->

I don't think so, I think it's just Backintheday syndrome. ;)

Yeah, might be true. I suppose all players [who registered here at least 1-2 years ago] noticed this also.

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2008, 03:53:26 pm »

Quote from: Sareth
Don't complain about people cursing when you're playing a game that involves gouging out the eyes of babies.

Yeah, I don't get that either.  You've got topics about what to do with prisoners that would make Alberto Gonzales say "Guys, this is just out of line."  Then you've got a topic about immigrants that would make Tom Tancredo say, "Guys, this is just out of line."  Then you've got a topic about nobles that would make Abbie Hoffman say, "Guys, this is SERIOUSLY out of line."

But, ohmygod, in between describing how you burn prisoners alive and smash unwanted kittens with a bridge and lock wounded veterans in their rooms to starve to death and wall out immigrant children in the snow, don't anybody CUSS, because it might offend people's delicate sensibilities.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2008, 03:57:54 pm »

For my part, I'd rather not see swearing, especially in the topic titles. Why? Because I like to look at this forum at work, and the last thing I need is to get in trouble because someone else saw "I HATE &@#%! CAVE SPIDERS" or something over my shoulder and complained.

You can say I just shouldn't browse this at work, but I end up with a decent amount of down-time, and I'd be horribly bored otherwise.

That, and, really, there's no reason for it. It adds nothing to the conversation, and mostly shows a lack of creativity. If you really want to cuss, be creative about it. Then at least we can all be impressed by your use of the English language. :)
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2008, 04:43:59 pm »

Quote from: Sareth

Yeah, I don't get that either.  You've got topics about what to do with prisoners that would make Alberto Gonzales say "Guys, this is just out of line."  Then you've got a topic about immigrants that would make Tom Tancredo say, "Guys, this is just out of line."  Then you've got a topic about nobles that would make Abbie Hoffman say, "Guys, this is SERIOUSLY out of line."

They sound like baseball players.

Am I right? Tell me I'm right.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2008, 05:28:40 pm »

I think that we could use some moderators on this forum, since Toady has no time to check out everything.

i dont think we need somone checking out everything.  i dont think we need someone jumping on every "n00b" post telling them to RTFM and not to ask their stupid questions, to go to the Wiki or to IRC instead.  I think its great that people feel welcome to ask how to mine for fish and that they will get an honest and helpful answer.  thats why we're better than all those other internet hosers.  well, at least its why the rest of you are better.  I'm just dork.

and yeah, the typical rebutal is "oh, but it pushes my favorite topic to the second page where it dies of malnutrition!"  well, guess what?  youre a smart and savvy forum user.  you can check the second page.  you can use that link on the main forum page that shows you replies to your last comments.  you can flag threads to be watched for followup.  Youre smart.  use those smarts to better the community, instead of using them to prune out the next generation of players and their n00b questions.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2008, 06:54:46 pm »

i dont think we need somone checking out everything.  i dont think we need someone jumping on every "n00b" post telling them to RTFM and not to ask their stupid questions, to go to the Wiki or to IRC instead.

Yeah, but only because everyone who's been on the forum for a while pretty much already does that.

wendigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2008, 01:18:18 am »

I've noticed that the forum got moderately crappier lately, too.  I think I basically signed up after months of lurking so that I could yell at some guy.

But seriously, if you're looking for the cause of the increased ambient crappiness, my money is on demographics.  Once the median age of any forum's poster population shifts down towards the teenagers, the forum really starts to suffer.  (see Something Awful, 2005-2008 for an example).  I'm not clear if that's because the current crop of teens is simply larger than those we'd encounter in the 80s/90s or if it's something unique to the current batch.

As for how to improve things... wow, wish I knew.  If someone uses leetspeak or has an avatar from a children's cartoon or something infantile like that, then yeah, troll 'em back to the stone age, but many annoying posters aren't kind enough to paint a target on their back.  Might just have to roll with it and keep updating the ignore list.

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2008, 02:11:53 am »

We have an ignore list?

Joutilas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2008, 04:15:33 am »

With DF's sheer diversity, it is fair to assume that you're never going to be totally freed from 'old topics' resurfacing. Even checking the dev pages, doing searches and browsing through the wiki is not foolproof, especially when you add the language barriers into the mix.

And I'd also like to point out that while some topics may feel throughly discussed to some, for new users they are not. And one line in the dev notes does not warrant total dismissal of the discussion. Who knows, maybe the ideas are fleshed out in a way that provides Toady with valuable insight as well.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2008, 05:06:56 am »

If he forgets / his notes' gone.

No way someone would get insight for reading 'How can you mine for fish' x100000

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2008, 07:13:45 am »

I've noticed that the forum got moderately crappier lately, too.  I think I basically signed up after months of lurking so that I could yell at some guy.

But seriously, if you're looking for the cause of the increased ambient crappiness, my money is on demographics.  Once the median age of any forum's poster population shifts down towards the teenagers, the forum really starts to suffer.  (see Something Awful, 2005-2008 for an example).  I'm not clear if that's because the current crop of teens is simply larger than those we'd encounter in the 80s/90s or if it's something unique to the current batch.

Hm I dont know.. Some of the new users are annoying indeed...but again we surely had young people on this forum even years ago, but I've never noticed these problems what I see now almost every day..ah well.

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2008, 07:33:34 am »

But seriously, if you're looking for the cause of the increased ambient crappiness, my money is on demographics.  Once the median age of any forum's poster population shifts down towards the teenagers, the forum really starts to suffer.  (see Something Awful, 2005-2008 for an example). 

The real reason why SA turned to shit isn't demographics.  The heavy handed moderation, with it's annoying culture of nice did that.  Most of the funny/offensive posters that actually had a sense of humour or something to contribute got banned or left.  Nowadays, its Something Sensitive all the way.  Think about that before asking for more moderation (I doubt Toady would let it slip that far though)
MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2008, 07:47:04 am »

But seriously, if you're looking for the cause of the increased ambient crappiness, my money is on demographics.  Once the median age of any forum's poster population shifts down towards the teenagers, the forum really starts to suffer.  (see Something Awful, 2005-2008 for an example). 

The real reason why SA turned to shit isn't demographics.  The heavy handed moderation, with it's annoying culture of nice did that.  Most of the funny/offensive posters that actually had a sense of humour or something to contribute got banned or left.  Nowadays, its Something Sensitive all the way.  Think about that before asking for more moderation (I doubt Toady would let it slip that far though)

Heavy handed moderation @ SA? Are you sure about that? That forum is full with flamers and trashtalkers still.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9