Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: The forum is changing in a bad way?  (Read 8848 times)

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
Re: The forum is changing in a bad way?
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2008, 09:16:26 am »

When we get to that point, or if we already are at that point. Hopefully we get some of our own hammerers.

You get my point right? Ban hammer=Hammerer, therefore I think in all dwarven terms we call moderators: hammerers. Who's with me?
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

apache1990

• Bay Watcher
  • Arena Master
    • View Profile
    • Bay Watcher Arena V2.0!
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2008, 09:25:07 am »

When we get to that point, or if we already are at that point. Hopefully we get some of our own hammerers.

You get my point right? Ban hammer=Hammerer, therefore I think in all dwarven terms we call moderators: hammerers. Who's with me?

So we're going to lock the forum moderators in a room, and drop in food and alcohol occasionally?

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2008, 09:32:53 am »

Only if they have a computer with DF on it in that tiny room, otherwise it would be inhumane.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2008, 12:44:51 pm »

But seriously, if you're looking for the cause of the increased ambient crappiness, my money is on demographics.  Once the median age of any forum's poster population shifts down towards the teenagers, the forum really starts to suffer.  (see Something Awful, 2005-2008 for an example). 

The real reason why SA turned to shit isn't demographics.  The heavy handed moderation, with it's annoying culture of nice did that.  Most of the funny/offensive posters that actually had a sense of humour or something to contribute got banned or left.  Nowadays, its Something Sensitive all the way.  Think about that before asking for more moderation (I doubt Toady would let it slip that far though)

Heavy handed moderation @ SA? Are you sure about that? That forum is full with flamers and trashtalkers still.

Seriously?

SA's pretty much famous for their extremely harsh and unfair mods, not to mention a multitude of other not too flattering things.  They ban people for complaining (politely) about missing features, disagreeing with mods, pretty much anything that doesnt make sense.  Remember that people actually pay to post (10USD), and when they get banned they lose the money

Honestly, there's even a forum solely dedicated to bashing SA (lots about lowtax and mods); http://sass.buttes.org/forum
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 12:52:10 pm by Krash »
MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2008, 12:56:16 pm »

Krash, you seem to be talking about GBS and nobody who's anybody at SA gives a shit about GBS.  The mostly unmoderated forums are much better

brainfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2008, 07:30:56 pm »

You can allow or stop your dwarves from eating these mushrooms, but it's entirely optional and doesn't turn Dwarf Fortress into Dwarf hookah-smoking pad.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2008, 08:29:36 pm »

there does seem to be less humor and more unfriendly behaviour, maybe it's just the season.

Just count (y)ourselves lucky we're niot being assaulted by spambots. ;)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Spoggerific

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2008, 08:32:48 pm »

Just count (y)ourselves lucky we're niot being assaulted by spambots. ;)
Oh, we don't have enough of a fortress population yet. We have to hit 8,000 members before the spambots start sieging. Hopefully, we'll have a fully-functional moderator team military by then, or at least a very good captcha trap hall of doom.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2008, 09:00:56 pm »

I seriously don't see any of this happening. Someone who's not afraid of getting yelled at point out some specific threads. All I remember is the "Why is development so slow?" thread, and that sparked a big discussion so I think it was worthwhile in the end.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2008, 09:31:48 pm »

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=25231.0

This came right to mind, as did the approximately 20 threads started about the cat bug in 40d. But then, I'm a newb here too, I shouldn't be talking.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2008, 09:34:10 pm »

Im new and it seems quite peaceful here, it IS getting worse though for sure.
All fourms die and this one looks like its experiencing the beginning of the end.

And mabey it wont realy die, but what it will become will make you wish it did.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2008, 10:00:19 pm »

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=25231.0
Oh no, a thread on how people have fun a certain way. Slaughtering innocent dwarves is nothing new. I don't see why that's a bad thread. Sure, it's been done before, but I guess I'm not incredibly strict about the whole "don't post something unless nothing like it has ever been done before" thing except in the bug forum. So--

Just looked at the second page and saw a thread about this. Pie, you loser. If you're not going to search then at least check the second and third pages.

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2008, 02:33:35 am »

My opinion;

I think people are just being dramatic.  So the game is getting more attention, drawing a few (not too sharp) trolls, so what?  No reason to start preaching the end of the world.
MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2008, 03:14:39 am »

Ergh. Drama queens.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2008, 09:37:20 am »

Im new and it seems quite peaceful here, it IS getting worse though for sure.
All fourms die and this one looks like its experiencing the beginning of the end.

And mabey it wont realy die, but what it will become will make you wish it did.

Uh no, this forum won't die ever, even if Toady will stop developing the game for a period [which hopefully won't happen ever!], the forum would be quite active, Im pretty sure. I will be here at least.  ;D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9