Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: The forum is changing in a bad way?  (Read 8859 times)

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The forum is changing in a bad way?
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2008, 03:47:09 pm »

nobody who's anybody at SA

lol
Was this a demonstration of what the posts in this forum shouldn't be like?

If it wasn't, I apologize for hating the "word" 'lol'.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 03:49:21 pm by LASD »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2008, 05:39:32 pm »

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=24233.0
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=25133.0
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=23791.0
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=20755.0
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=24532.0
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=24087.0 (personal gripe)
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=24695.0

Come on guys stop having so much fun.  This is the Internet we're trying to conduct serious business here.

Really, some of those are even in the Various Nonsense area, which is exactly what it's for.  I love these wacky partytime threads, and I'd like to think I'm still a contributing member of the board.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Spoggerific

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2008, 05:50:16 pm »

Really, some of those are even in the Various Nonsense area, which is exactly what it's for.  I love these wacky partytime threads, and I'd like to think I'm still a contributing member of the board.
Personally, I think they're fine so long as it stays in the threads that are clearly "wacky partytime". When single word posts and completely off-topic (for several posts; a couple is fine) things get into random threads, it starts to hurt the quality of the forum.

So, yeah, the few threads Kagus linked, I believe are fine.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2008, 06:32:13 pm »

I have not noticed any difference in the quality or content of posts. I do think there are too many Roll to Dodge games, though.

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2008, 03:46:40 am »

Come on guys stop having so much fun.  This is the Internet we're trying to conduct serious business here.
MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2008, 03:56:12 am »

Okay, so lemme get this straight...  We had fun before, when there weren't any of those threads.  Now we're also having fun, but those threads are here.  Except now we need those threads in order to have fun.

That probably wasn't right.  Mind explaining it?

I've seen creative, clever, and downright intelligent fun on these boards.  I look at what's been posted in those threads, and I just see the same brain-sludge shit that every other moron-populated Internet forum has.  I really had hoped that this place would stay different, but I guess that's a rather stupid hope. 

I'm not saying this forum is like those other ones.  I'm just saying it's getting there.

And Various Nonsense is not a section for moronic threads.  It is a section for topics that are unrelated to Dwarf Fortress, Liberal Crime Squad, Armok I, or other products of Bay12 Games.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2008, 05:18:18 am »

Okay, so lemme get this straight...  We had fun before, when there weren't any of those threads.  Now we're also having fun, but those threads are here.  Except now we need those threads in order to have fun.

That probably wasn't right.  Mind explaining it?

Of course we don't need certain threads to have fun, we've just wound up turning some of them into running jokes.  The only difference between the wacky ones and other threads is that the joking has nothing to do with the original topic.  Frankly, if that bothers you, why do you look at them?  And if you don't look at them, why does it bother you?

Beyond that, how is joking around unintelligent?  Many of the jokes in the Build a Pyramid and - threads rely on a well developed sense of humor and vast library of references.  Even the HOLY ARMOK thread, and Tibble's other ones, are funny for just that reason, the great self-consciousness about the whole thing.  They're ironic, not moronic.

And Various Nonsense is not a section for moronic threads.  It is a section for topics that are unrelated to Dwarf Fortress, Liberal Crime Squad, Armok I, or other products of Bay12 Games.
The thread you listed as your personal gripe is a friendly, humorous discussion of people's avatar pictures.  That's exactly the kind of off-topic thread a Various Nonsense section is for.  If you don't think so, then what sort of off-topic topics do you think are appropriate?

Now, I've only be here since June, but the only difference I've noticed is an slight upswing in overall activity, and of course the abundance of RTDs, which I also dislike but just for the clutter.  If the forum has gotten 'dumber' its not exactly recent.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2008, 08:39:58 am »

I'm with Aqizzar on this one. I personally don't take part in any of the nonsense threads, but now having looked at them I think some are actually funny... but the thing is, people should just chill more and be a little bit tolerant (especially in a forum section that's called "various nonsense"...). It's not like you have to read every single post in the forum, anyway.

What brings a forum down IMO is hostility and negativity, not silliness. And that includes to a small degree threads like this one, no offence here, but I have yet to see that a "the forum is going downhill!!" thread actually does anything to improve the situation, in this forums or others. It's more like a self-fulfilling prophecy, as if anything, it incites further arguments.

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2008, 08:54:16 am »

Many of the jokes in the Build a Pyramid and - threads rely on a well developed sense of humor and vast library of references.

Ok, I can agree with the rest, but do you seriously think those threads (at least the - and TIBBLES thread) are funny?  Well developped sense of humour?

Seriously?

The real fun/funny stuff on this forum is the more on topic jokes, as well as some community forts and other AARs.  -, not so much.

I don't really care though, as long as it's kept in only a few threads.  If you guys (and gals) like it, go for it.  But please don't pat your backs and call it comedy gold.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 08:57:09 am by Krash »
MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2008, 09:11:49 am »

Gragh! Moar Blood for The God [of Blood]! You guys keep fighting, call me when one of you [struck down] any other, eh?

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2008, 11:11:38 am »

What brings a forum down IMO is hostility and negativity, not silliness. And that includes to a small degree threads like this one, no offence here, but I have yet to see that a "the forum is going downhill!!" thread actually does anything to improve the situation, in this forums or others. It's more like a self-fulfilling prophecy, as if anything, it incites further arguments.

Of course this thread won't improve the situation, but in what way should we talk about this? This is not even a statement that the forum is going downhill. I think its clear that the amount of trollish and spammerish posts are growing, and I am not talking about any funny threads actually, hell even the "-" thread in the adventure mode subforum is ok. In fact I wasnt even talking about specific threads [Kagus linked some topics], but about various users and their posts. [This is especially true about some "new" users.]
The situation is not that bad actually right now, but lets hope that this "posting style" won't have more followers.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2008, 11:23:53 am »

I vote myself for head hammerer if when the time comes.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Spoggerific

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2008, 11:25:08 am »

Only if I get to mandate the construction of ten pairs of socks from the FINEST ADAMANTINE.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2008, 11:49:33 am »

Only if I get to mandate the construction of ten pairs of socks from the FINEST ADAMANTINE.

What of clear glass? There MUST be clear glass! EVERYTHING must be clear glass!
 Else somebody is in for a world of hurt.

See everybody? This is what makes the forum good. The fun, the chill, the hilarious mix of DF and culture references.

Although I believe we could live without some threads. A few RTD's, religious/political/controversial science topics(On the internet? There really is no point other to voice what you think while others mock you) could afford to go.

Unless we all decide to keep everything chill and hilarious.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9