Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Teleport seige  (Read 1438 times)

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Teleport seige
« on: September 25, 2008, 07:53:49 pm »

For some reason, i had a seige where the goblin squads appeared at places other than map edges. for one of them, it wasn't really an issue, the other one appeared on top of a swordsmaster who was drinking beer, and both squads were crushed. it confused me, but everything was fine.

Then i had another seige. squad 1 appeared far away and consisted mainly of hammergoblins. squad 2 appeared near my fort, consisted of speargoblins and wrestlers, and harrassed some guys before getting butchered by traps. squads 3 and 4 contained speargoblins, macegoblins, a pike goblin guard, and a couple goblin lashers. these caused a few deaths, but would have been no problem were it not for squad 5. squad 5 was 6 crossbow goblins and associated wrestlers, who appeared deep in my fort and killed one guard, 5 dogs, and several civilians before a marksdwarf (who is now an elite marksdwarf crawling around babbling) showed up and started taking them down. the sheer number of casulities has convinced me to report the bug and hope it never happens again.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Teleport seige
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 12:01:38 am »

Does your fort go anywhere near the map edges underground. It is a known bug that if your fort goes within five spaces or so of the map edges underground there is a chance that enemy squads can appear inside of it.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 05:49:47 am »

Yes, but what's happening is really that they are appearing at totally random locations on the map. like, squads 2-4 appeared just outside of the fort. is that the known bug, or is the known bug that places too close to the map edges get counted as edges for spawn generation?
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 09:11:15 am »

siege or ambush?

Mondark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 10:02:07 am »

Be aware that goblin ambusher squads are invisible until they run into a dwarf or pet animal.  So they might be arriving at the edge like usual, but you don't see them until your dwarves do.
Fefeshnelmargalip

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 02:20:36 pm »

i know the difference between a seige and an ambush. I got a full screen message saying, "A vile force of darkness has arrived" and it said SEIGE in the right places in big yellow letters. also, the squads appeared all at once and i got no messages saying, "An ambush! curse them!"

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 08:08:16 pm »

i had a related issue with the human liasion. from the looks of it, anything that mass spawns at a map edge will appear at a random location. migerants and caravans are fine, though.